Question!

Ok,

So I hope to have passed my class 2 on new years eve the girls in the control room are going to HIRE me a truck so I can take them all for a ride!!

My question is, do I need a ‘O’ Licence to take the girlies round the block?

If I hire a massive DAF tractor unit, can it be driven ‘as is’ on my class 2?

Bizarre and sad I know but then all the girls are excited! (so am I)!!!

I’m sure i’ve seen the answer to this else were but can’t remember where!

Unfortuneately you will require an “o” licence to hire a lorry -although it’s not being used for hire & reward they hire companies have had vehicles confiscated after hiring to those that had no "o"licence and used for hire & reward so they take no chances now

Also you wouldn’t be able to drive a tractor unit with just a “class 2” sorry :cry:

north surrey haulage:
Also you wouldn’t be able to drive a tractor unit with just a “class 2” sorry :cry:

surely a “C + E” without the “+E” is a “C”

The DVLA website says : -

Category C = Vehicles over 3500kg with a trailer up to 750kg.

Neil could give you the letter of the law but it goes along the lines of 'coz the fith wheel is fitted the only load it can carry is a semi trailer therefore making it an “artic combination”
whether the trailer is attatched or not the unit is part of that combination therefore comes under the C+E category

or words to that effect :laughing:

It has no trailer, therefore it’s not a class 1 vehicle, only a class 2. Plenty of companies use class 2 drivers to shunt units between depots. Are they all breaking the law?

how many rigids have you come across with a gross weight of 44t?

north surrey haulage:
how many rigids have you come across with a gross weight of 44t?

very few :wink: but driving licences don’t mention weights above 7500kg

There is some sort of law requiring you to remove or immobilise the 5th wheel, A C lass licence is a rigid vehicle and a C + E is an artic but you still need a licence even though you are solo.

apart from the obvious…you must have loads of money…or no brains…to hire a tractor unit will set you back approx…£350 for the day or part thereof…plus its your insurance so get that first…about £4000 for the year…although you can pay the deposit for the cover note and then cancel after the hire…then you have to find a hire company willing to supply you with a vehicle…and you would normally have to supply references…and a bank statement…and all this to impress the girls…its cheaper to have a few drinks down the pub to celebrate as after all you would only be driving what would be termed as a class 2 vehicle…so get a life…and a brain…and welcome to the world of trucking…failing that …i would only be too pleased to give the girls a ride on your behalf… :laughing:
have a nice day

class 2 covers unit no trailer
rigid vehicle up to 38 tonnes
i took units for test on class2
and you only need o liscence after 28 days consecutive hire

it comes under class one reg as it has a fifth wheel and there could be used for hire and reward if there was no fifth wheel on the back of the unit then it would come under class 2 regs

And you also need a margin on your o licence even though you are allowed to use a hire truck for one month.

Speak to the hirers, be honest & you will get their answer. Afterall if you find out you can still doesnt mean they will hire you one :open_mouth:

north surrey haulage:

wrong I’m afraid.

with no trailer its a rigid vehicle. just like a bus with no passengers or route is a LGV rigid.
In fact, somoene who passed their test before 1st July 1997 can drive a tractor unit on a car license, provided the 5th wheel is removed so its no longer a large GOODS vehicle, and the t/unit’s MAM is < 7.5tn.

allikat:
It has no trailer, therefore it’s not a class 1 vehicle, only a class 2. Plenty of companies use class 2 drivers to shunt units between depots. Are they all breaking the law?

as well as trade plate delivery firms.

best call the ministry on them all eh if me and thee are wrong :laughing:

north surrey haulage:
Unfortuneately you will require an “o” licence to hire a lorry -although it’s not being used for hire & reward they hire companies have had vehicles confiscated after hiring to those that had no "o"licence and used for hire & reward so they take no chances now

You can drive a tractor unit on a class 2 - and you can drive a 32t tipper as well. Class C is any rigid - Class C+E is a bendy one - units don’t bend.

Agree with Dave above. The whole fifth wheel thing is irrelevant. That’s what I was taught for CPC, anyway. :wink: :sunglasses:

AIUI, you can drive a solo tractor unit on a C license, and you don’t need an O-license (although you have to pay for the vehicle, and you can’t charge your passengers for their right to be carried, as that is “hire or reward”).

However, another stumbling block is that lots of hire companies require anyone hiring an HGV to be over 30 and have held their license for >2 years.

There is a confusion of two things here. A unit can be driven on a class C licence, Class C = rigid goods vehicle and units are rigid. The fifth wheel is not an issue here.

Where the fifth wheel being removed comes into it is when you wish to drive a unit on a ‘car’ licence when the fifth wheel needs to be removed, which renders the unit an incomplete motor vehicle and allows it to be driven on a car licence. There are some other restrictions as far as I recall but that is the gist of it.

Thanks for the replys guys… The money ain’t an issue I have a friend of a friend who can sort me one for circa £300 pounds inc insurance (£150 refund on safe return) but he did’nt know the legal stuff i.e operators licence and my (hopefully) new C!

God can’t wait for something really good to ask you lot about 17 replys to one question ain’t bad!