Question regarding dangerous goods tanker

From what I understand a DG tanker running under ADR is in-scope all the time, even when running empty. The only exemption would be if it were to be professionally cleaned out and you were handed a Certificate of Cleanliness. Is that right?

What about when running to domestic only destinations under CDG regs. Does the same apply to CDG as with ADR? I ask because someone has been telling me you are out of scope when you are empty, which I do not think is right.

Point number 1 you are correct. An empty uncleaned tank is known as being nominally empty and still falls under the regs until such time as it has been cleaned. In certain cases a nominally empty tanker can present more of a hazard than when it was loaded.

Point number two I’ll pass on as I have never come across that and would hate to advise incorrectly.

Thanks for clarifying point 1, appreciated.

Exactly the same rules in the UK, Almost.

Excellent, good job. Thanks guys.

the maoster:
In certain cases a nominally empty tanker can present more of a hazard than when it was loaded.

'tis correct ! For EG… a diesel tanker is more hazardous when empty than it is full of diesel. If you put a light to Diesel then it is the vapour above the liquid which burns and not the actual liquid itself, hence an empty tanker full of vapour is quite the hazard !

khdgsa:

Exactly?

Almost?

:wink: :grimacing:

Kerbdog:

the maoster:
In certain cases a nominally empty tanker can present more of a hazard than when it was loaded.

'tis correct ! For EG… a diesel tanker is more hazardous when empty than it is full of diesel. If you put a light to Diesel then it is the vapour above the liquid which burns and not the actual liquid itself, hence an empty tanker full of vapour is quite the hazard !

Don’t you mean petrol tanker?

Always in scope CDG/ADR unless cleaned and purged!! :slight_smile:

What is CDG chaps?

Carriage of dangerous goods.

Thank you Sir ^^^^^

dieseldave:

khdgsa:

Exactly?

Almost?

:wink: :grimacing:

Definitely Maybe :wink:

Robpee:

No ! You can set light to petrol whereas you cannot to diesel, only the diesel vapour will burn.

Robpee:

Kerbdog:

the maoster:

I think petrol vapours are far more flammable/dangerous/volitile than diesel vapours, is that right ‘Diesel Dave’…?

Kerbdog:

Robpee:

No ! You can set light to petrol whereas you cannot to diesel, only the diesel vapour will burn.

Sorry Kerbdog, you can’t set light to any flammable liquid.

If you remember the fire triangle, the petrol/diesel (or any other flammable liquid) represents the ‘fuel’ side.
You might also have a sufficiently hot source of ignition such as a spark or flame, but without oxygen there can be no fire.

For a flammable liquid fire to exist, there must be some evaporation of the flammable liquid taking place in order to achieve the required fuel/air mixture.

A flammable liquid can only evaporate at a temperature at or above its flashpoint, but it must be remembered that the flashpoints of the various flammable liquids vary greatly.
Once a flammable liquid is evaporating, there must be sufficient of both fuel and oxygen plus a sufficiently hot source of heat in order to achieve ignition.
This applies equally to petrol and diesel (and other flammable liquids.)

'Taint necessarily so mate, it boils down to the concentration known as LEL (lower explosive limit) and UEL (upper explosive limit), get your vapour concentration mixture anywhere between these two and whether it be petrol, diesel, or any flammable liquid then you have the potential to spoil your day! :wink:

As an aside you may find this hard to believe but a spectacular explosion can be generated by flour! Introduce a source of ignition when blowing flour off and once again you can spoil your day.

Edit to add, I posted in response to Pimpdaddy, but DD beat me to a reply. The scoundrel. :smiley:

Pimpdaddy:
I think petrol vapours are far more flammable/dangerous/volitile than diesel vapours, is that right ‘Diesel Dave’…?

Pimpdaddy,

Carrying on from my reply to Kerbdog, your point is correct once we remember that petrol has a much lower flashpoint than diesel.

Flammable liquids only become dangerous (ignitable) once they’re at a temperature at which they can start evaporating, known as the ‘flashpoint.’
Evaporation makes vapour, which potentially can mix with air to form a flammable fuel/air mixture.
Petrol is capable of making an ignitable mixture with air when the temperature is (approx) -40 deg C, whilst diesel needs (approx) + 65 deg C before it can start to evaporate.

Therefore, petrol is said to be highly volatile (= evaporates easily) at normal ambient temperatures, whilst diesel actually needs to be warmed up before it begins to evaporate.
Therefore, diesel has a low volatility.

the maoster:
'Taint necessarily so mate, it boils down to the concentration known as LEL (lower explosive limit) and UEL (upper explosive limit), get your vapour concentration mixture anywhere between these two and whether it be petrol, diesel, or any flammable liquid then you have the potential to spoil your day! :wink:

Also correct maoster, but I’m just making the point that in order for your (correct) scenario to come into play, the (any) flammable liquid needs to be at a temperature at or above its flashpoint.

Then another variable comes into play…
The temperature of the heat source must be sufficient, otherwise there can be no ignition.

The minimum ignition temperatures of the various flammable liquids varies quite considerably too.

dieseldave:
Pimpdaddy,

Carrying on from my reply to Kerbdog, your point is correct once we remember that petrol has a much lower flashpoint than diesel.

Flammable liquids only become dangerous (ignitable) once they’re at a temperature at which they can start evaporating, known as the ‘flashpoint.’
Evaporation makes vapour, which potentially can mix with air to form a flammable fuel/air mixture.
Petrol is capable of making an ignitable mixture with air when the temperature is (approx) -40 deg C, whilst diesel needs (approx) + 65 deg C before it can start to evaporate.

Therefore, petrol is said to be highly volatile (= evaporates easily) at normal ambient temperatures, whilst diesel actually needs to be warmed up before it begins to evaporate.
Therefore, diesel has a low volatility.

Can you tell that someone paid attention in class during ADR training:grin::grin: