Question regarding dangerous goods tanker

I sometimes get the pleasure of dragging tankers around even though I don’t have ADR, but they are brand new or still in production. The reason for this post is the last one I had had rear wheel steer and after dragging skellies around was pure pleasure to tow and so quiet.

Pimpdaddy:

dieseldave:
Pimpdaddy,

Carrying on from my reply to Kerbdog, your point is correct once we remember that petrol has a much lower flashpoint than diesel.

Flammable liquids only become dangerous (ignitable) once they’re at a temperature at which they can start evaporating, known as the ‘flashpoint.’
Evaporation makes vapour, which potentially can mix with air to form a flammable fuel/air mixture.
Petrol is capable of making an ignitable mixture with air when the temperature is (approx) -40 deg C, whilst diesel needs (approx) + 65 deg C before it can start to evaporate.

Therefore, petrol is said to be highly volatile (= evaporates easily) at normal ambient temperatures, whilst diesel actually needs to be warmed up before it begins to evaporate.
Therefore, diesel has a low volatility.

Can you tell that someone paid attention in class during ADR training:grin::grin:

Hi Pimpdaddy,

Yes mate, I can tell that you were paying attention in class, and that’s great for passing the exams, but the better achievement is that you remembered it afterwards.

dieseldave:
Yes mate, I can tell that you were paying attention in class, and that’s great for passing the exams, but the better achievement is that you remembered it afterwards.

And the won’t give me a decent job driving tankers, their loss I suppose:lol: