Question on working time directive

hi guys a new compliance manager started at my depot, and he says my working week over 26 weeks has to average 48 hrs , i would love to know how as monday to friday my wtd is usually 50 to 56 hrs a week if i do a few hrs on sunday sometimes twice a month i can,t go over 60 hrs , i don,t understand compesate
for example i work
monday 14 hrs break 1 hr wtd 13 = wtd 13 hrs
tuesday 12 hrs break 1.30 hrs wtd 10.30 = total wtd 23.30 hrs
wedensday 15 hrs break 2 hrs wtd 13 36 hrs
thursday 11hrs break 1.45 hrs POA 2hrs wtd 9.15 45.15 hrs
friday 13.50 break 1.30 hrs POA 1 HR wtd 12.20 57.35 hrs
sunday 2.30 hrs wtd 2.30 hrs 60.05 hrs
i only work one sometimes 2 sundays in a month usually 2 on and 2 off. this example im over 60 maximun by 5 mins any help on compengsate on my weekends off and if i have days holiday thanx in advance lads lez

ignore it. it’s not policed.

If you’re paid for breaks put the tachograph on break at every legal opportunity, otherwise use POA at every opportunity.

The only other way to reduce your hours is to work less hours or have some time off.

limeyphil:

Well it’s obviously being policed by his compliance manager :laughing:

Why do people refer to their working time as their wtd :confused:

limeyphil:

Not if you work for Royal Mail. They apply all the rules and then make up more of there own, unless it is the Xmas rush.

If you’re salaried then you’re onto a winner as it sounds like you’ll have to work less hours to comply with the WTD.

If you’re hourly paid and you don’t want a cut in hours then as tachograph said you need to either start recording more breaks (as long as you’re not deducted for them) and/or POA wherever possible to get your working hours down and allow you to keep working as you are.

Paul

repton:
If you’re salaried then you’re onto a winner as it sounds like you’ll have to work less hours to comply with the WTD.

If you’re hourly paid and you don’t want a cut in hours then as tachograph said you need to either start recording more breaks (as long as you’re not deducted for them) and/or POA wherever possible to get your working hours down and allow you to keep working as you are.

Paul

thanx paul , I AM ON SALARY so does that mean they have to reduce my hours , next week they have contracted me to another firm for 5 days no nights out early finishes to get my hours down ,
do you know about compensateing thanx lez

gothika:

repton:

Paul

thanx paul , I AM ON SALARY so does that mean they have to reduce my hours , next week they have contracted me to another firm for 5 days no nights out early finishes to get my hours down ,
do you know about compensateing thanx lez

There is no compensation policy for the 17 / 26 week period wtd limit, you’ve got to average under 48hrs per week working time over that period - not usually that difficult tbh.
Even holidays are calculated at 48hrs per week pro rata (ie 9hrs per day), so if they’ve got to reduce your hours, they can’t even make you use your holidays to do it, nice gig if you can get it :grimacing:

thanx waynedl ,

Forget it.

I don’t mean forget about it, but I will wager my household income that you are not “working” anywhere near the limits.

As your employer is spending money on a compliance manager, ask him to show you where you are going wrong. It is the main reason your wages are crap, he will be on 30k for writing memos. :stuck_out_tongue:

If compesate means compensation, forget it, the word is only used once in the whole EC 2002/15 Road Transport Directive. (in this instance it doesn’t apply to the driver)

Just obey ish the tacho rules, dont worry about the wtd as vosa dont. :slight_smile:

cheers lads one last thing is it my Responsibility companys or compliance managers or a bit of both thanks

Carry on as normal mate, if you’re still over your hours toward the end of your 26 week appraisal then ask for the time off, paid. That’s what happens at our place, you’ve done the work so having the time off paid shouldn’t be a problem.

I would’ve thought the company would bear the brunt of the responsibility ensuring you work with the confines of the WTD, hence the employment of a Compliance Manager.

Company’s.

There are some ways to get your working time average down.

1. As already suggested, use POA/break whenever you legally can.

2. Holidays, now this is where it gets complicated,
    i. For odd days you must use/book the ‘neutral’ 8 hours per day, but for a full week you must use/book a ‘neutral’ 48 hours.

ii. You must have 5.6 weeks holiday per year (4 weeks from EU, the extra 1.6 is a UK rule), however if you wish, only the statutory 4 weeks of that holiday can count towards the WTD average, the remaining 1.6 weeks can be booked as zero, AFAIK there is no law to say how you book this extra 1.6 weeks :wink: NOT MANY COMPLIANCE MANAGERS KNOW ABOUT THIS, KEEP IT THAT WAY.

1. Unpaid leave.

Sick, paternity, maternity, adoption, parental leave all have to be calculated in.

repton:

Paul

I’ve heard of a few companies where, if a member of staff leaves part way through a year, should they have done less than their contracted hours to that point in time, they have to pay them back. So, your contact says 55hrs, but you only average 48 and are salaried and hand in your notice 3/4 through the year, you end up 'owing 39 x 7 hrs pay which can equate to 39 x 7 x 8pph (as a random figure) = £2184!
A few I know have been caught on this one, some drivers, some warehouse staff. There is usually a rush to leave just after the end of the financial year when the clock zeros.

as you’re on salary, this puts things in a completely different light.
you will have to suggest 4 on 4 off. the compliance manager will have to think it’s his idea though.
you will then work less than 5 months a year, for a full years salary.

thanks lads , i alwaysask here and get the right answers
my salary is £350 take home for 5 days a week , i only work sunday once or twice a month
sometimes none , this month none and next week they have put me on another job i,ll start 7.30am finish 4 pm mon to friday they said they put me on this job to cover for bloke on holiday and to get my hours down, i thought to myself it should be upto them to get my hours down as i just do as im told thanx again

I don’t know which is the biggest example of complete horse sh…WTD or a bloody “COMPLIANCE MANAGER” :open_mouth: :unamused: , where do these non-job titles come from ffs■■? and you can sure as hell bet he will be on a lot more money than the drivers who do actual real jobs, too many tossers in transport today that have never done the job and in real terms know [zb] all about it :smiling_imp: .

robroy:
I don’t know which is the biggest example of complete horse sh…WTD or a bloody “COMPLIANCE MANAGER” :open_mouth: :unamused: , where do these non-job titles come from ffs■■? and you can sure as hell bet he will be on a lot more money than the drivers who do actual real jobs, too many tossers in transport today that have never done the job and in real terms know [zb] all about it :smiling_imp: .

VERY WELL SAID! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

robroy:

your,re right there mate , i just wanna work and get my nights out and the odd sunday , then im on a decent wage around £460 net bit more than £350 net