Question - is it legal to carry a container of diesel in cab

just wandered where i stand on this myself and the nightshift drivers are not happy with this and wandered if it is legal and what the hse or mr vosa would say… or do u require adr for this. thank you

I would have thought this comes under the HSE;plus are your employers
thinking right; is the container secured in any way; so that in event of a
incident the occupants of the cabin will not be injured by the container:
Also what about spillage if the container starts to leak, sorry either they
get a storage box fitted or they leave it at the yard,if this is just to top up
what’s wrong with fuel-cards?? or a cash float of Thirty pounds to cover the
20liters of fuel■■?,

would u want to get into a vehicle and drive it for x amount of hours with the cab smelling of Diesel■■?

m6again:
just wandered where i stand on this myself and the nightshift drivers are not happy with this and wandered if it is legal and what the hse or mr vosa would say… or do u require adr for this. thank you

Hi m6again, you mentioned ADR, so here I am. :smiley:

Just for the moment, I’m assuming that the diesel is spare fuel for your vehicle?
If that’s true, then ADR says that a vehicle can carry up to 60 liters of ‘spare’ fuel without the driver needing an ADR certificate.

:bulb: Before I can give you a completely correct and relevant ADR answer, I need to know the purpose of the fuel and the size of the container(s) please. :smiley:

On a purely Health & Safety point, I’d explain that diesel fuel IS counted as dangerous goods of UN Class 3.
If it were me, I’d refuse point-blank to carry diesel fuel in a container in my cab for Health & Safety reasons.

Reason #1:
Has your employer carried out a risk-assessment of the dangers of breathing flammable liquid vapours to your heath?
:open_mouth: Flammable liquid vapours can cause brain-damage. :open_mouth:
:bulb: If you really want brain-damage, a bag of glue will do the job much quicker. :laughing:

Reason #2:
Has your employer had any regard for the increased fire-risk and taken measures to limit that risk?

Reason #3:
Every employee is responsible for their own safety etc, etc.
Your own cursory risk-assessment should tell you that the carrying of flammable dangerous goods in your vehicle cab isn’t a particularly bright idea, and that the same job could be done in a less risky way.

Reason #4:
The vehicle cab is your working environment, so would your boss like a diesel fuel container in his office with him whilst he’s in his working environment. :question: :grimacing:

if my boss put a container of deisel in my cab i’d be throwing the [zb]ing cantainer straight back in his face regardless of what health and safty said

Dont forget diesel is Carciogenic, I certanly wouldnt want to carry it in a cab.

Can you answer me this one DieselDave ?

Where I used to work we used Bio Diesel. We used to collect it in 1000litre containers. Either in a Sprinter van, or 3 or 4 at a time on an 18t rigid.]

None of us were ADR qualified. Did we need to be ? :question:

Secretelephant:

Where I used to work we used Bio Diesel. We used to collect it in 1000litre containers. Either in a Sprinter van, or 3 or 4 at a time on an 18t rigid.]

yes i think you would have needed an adr and i think it would have been classed as packages with it being in 1000ltr ibc’s

dieseldave:

m6again:

Hi m6again, you mentioned ADR, so here I am. :smiley:

Just for the moment, I’m assuming that the diesel is spare fuel for your vehicle?
If that’s true, then ADR says that a vehicle can carry up to 60 liters of ‘spare’ fuel without the driver needing an ADR certificate.

:bulb: Before I can give you a completely correct and relevant ADR answer, I need to know the purpose of the fuel and the size of the container(s) please. :smiley:

On a purely Health & Safety point, I’d explain that diesel fuel IS counted as dangerous goods of UN Class 3.
If it were me, I’d refuse point-blank to carry diesel fuel in a container in my cab for Health & Safety reasons.

Reason #1:
Has your employer carried out a risk-assessment of the dangers of breathing flammable liquid vapours to your heath?
:open_mouth: Flammable liquid vapours can cause brain-damage. :open_mouth:
:bulb: If you really want brain-damage, a bag of glue will do the job much quicker. :laughing:

Reason #2:
Has your employer had any regard for the increased fire-risk and taken measures to limit that risk?

Reason #3:
Every employee is responsible for their own safety etc, etc.
Your own cursory risk-assessment should tell you that the carrying of flammable dangerous goods in your vehicle cab isn’t a particularly bright idea, and that the same job could be done in a less risky way.

Reason #4:
The vehicle cab is your working environment, so would your boss like a diesel fuel container in his office with him whilst he’s in his working environment. :question: :grimacing:

Just a small point…

Is diesel flammable? Try lighting some with a match…

TC

It is classed as flamable and come under Class 3 for that reason. Dave will have the exact facts for this but from memory anthing that has a flash point below 60degrees is classed as flamable, now diesels flash point is between 55 and 65 degrees but the powers that be decided its in the class so that was that.

Why not put the diesel in the tank and carry a hose to siphen it out when needed :laughing:

Secretelephant:

You can carry 1x1000ltr IBC of diesel without ADR. Anymore and you need ADR for packaged goods an IBC is classed as a package not a tank. With that the vehicle carrying it will require the relevent sign boards and fire extingushers and a few other little bits and bobs. So if you picking up 2x1000 at moment your in deep doo do if the wheel tappers catch up with you!

SORRY! What was the question again? I Didn’t get past Steve C’s bouncing boobies. And then forgot what i was going to do/say. :grimacing:

busyboy:
SORRY! What was the question again? I Didn’t get past Steve C’s bouncing boobies. And then forgot what i was going to do/say. :grimacing:

Ah yes… mmmmmmmm, boobies. DOH!!! :grimacing:

The_Catman:
Just a small point…

Is diesel flammable? Try lighting some with a match…

TC

Hi TC,

Diesel is a flammable liquid of UN Class 3 and counts as dangerous goods as defined in ADR. (Trust me on this :wink:)

The correct entry for diesel is:
UN 1202 DIESEL FUEL, 3, III

Sorry mate, but the test you suggest doesn’t prove anything, because diesel fuel is named in the dangerous goods list. As such, it is a matter of law.

Imp:

Secretelephant:

You can carry 1x1000ltr IBC of diesel without ADR. Anymore and you need ADR for packaged goods an IBC is classed as a package not a tank. With that the vehicle carrying it will require the relevent sign boards and fire extingushers and a few other little bits and bobs. So if you picking up 2x1000 at moment your in deep doo do if the wheel tappers catch up with you!

Hi Secretelephant,

Imp has this one correct mate :smiley:
So the answer to your question is that an ADR licence IS required if you carry more than 1 X 1,000 liter IBC containing diesel fuel.

Whoever told you to collect more than one IBC of diesel would be dealt with much more severely than a driver, and would probably have the (rather heavy :wink: ) book thrown at them, cos there are multiple offences involved. :open_mouth:
The sender of the diesel would also be guilty of an offence (or two or three. :wink: ) if a follow-up is done.

As Imp said, one of those IBCs is OK if the driver doesn’t hold an ADR licence (the vehicle size is irrelevant for ADR purposes) but you would also need 1 X 2kg dry powder fire-extinguisher on board. :smiley:

Imp:
It is classed as flamable and come under Class 3 for that reason. Dave will have the exact facts for this but from memory anthing that has a flash point below 60degrees is classed as flamable, now diesels flash point is between 55 and 65 degrees but the powers that be decided its in the class so that was that.

Spot-on again Imp. :open_mouth:

A little note in subsection 2.2.3.1.1 of ADR is what brought diesel into Regs. (It’s been that way for about 5ish years.)

NOTE 2: … diesel fuel, gasoil, heating oil (light) having a flash-point above 60 °C and not more than 100 °C shall be deemed substances of Class 3, UN No. 1202.

:open_mouth: Looks like I’ll have to sleep with one eye open now. :grimacing:

The above quote and reference also proves my point to T.C above if he wishes. :wink:

answers to the above are- its a 30 litre drum which started off life as a screenwash container. and it is filled with red diesel to use in the power washer that is in our yard.

should be on the traier or in the back not in the cab…

The only thing carried in the cab should be your personal belongings nothing more nothing less

A bit like sayng can i carry a cow in the cab as there aint room on the trailer/ truck :unamused:

“is diesel flammable?”

try this.

get a lucozade bottle. (a glass one), it’s no good with a plastic one. put some diesel in it, put the cap on, shake it, empty the fuel out, put the cap back on very tight, now throw it against a wall, but not your own wall. :laughing:

that should answer the flammable question.