Question - is it legal to carry a container of diesel in cab

m6again:
:idea: Before I can give you a completely correct and relevant ADR answer, I need to know the purpose of the fuel and the size of the container(s) please. :smiley:

answers to the above are- its a 30 litre drum which started off life as a screenwash container. and it is filled with red diesel to use in the power washer that is in our yard.

Hi m6again, thanks for the info. :smiley:

As far as ADR is concerned you’re OK because your particular activity is exempted. :smiley:

However, I have to say that it really isn’t a good idea to carry 30 litres of diesel in your cab, cos I’d suggest that you really shouldn’t be breathing any vapour that it gives off.
If you can smell the diesel in your cab, that’s a really big clue that there’s vapour about. :wink:

As mentioned by other posters, it’s better if you carry the diesel fuel in the load area of your vehicle and I’d add that it’s also a good idea to secure the drum against sliding about or falling over.

I hope that helps. :smiley:

dieseldave:

m6again:
:idea: Before I can give you a completely correct and relevant ADR answer, I need to know the purpose of the fuel and the size of the container(s) please. :smiley:

answers to the above are- its a 30 litre drum which started off life as a screenwash container. and it is filled with red diesel to use in the power washer that is in our yard.

Hi m6again, thanks for the info. :smiley:

As far as ADR is concerned you’re OK because your particular activity is exempted. :smiley:

However, I have to say that it really isn’t a good idea to carry 30 litres of diesel in your cab, cos I’d suggest that you really shouldn’t be breathing any vapour that it gives off.
If you can smell the diesel in your cab, that’s a really big clue that there’s vapour about. :wink:

As mentioned by other posters, it’s better if you carry the diesel fuel in the load area of your vehicle and I’d add that it’s also a good idea to secure the drum against sliding about or falling over.

I hope that helps. :smiley:

I think you’ll find that if you get one of the real Hitler types you’ll get done for having in the cab

Also, your employer will probably notice 30lt go missing from the derv tank a night. Try taking 5 - 10lt per night and you can go un-detected for aaages :wink: :laughing:

nick2008:
I think you’ll find that if you get one of the real Hitler types you’ll get done for having in the cab

Agreed nick2008, there’s probably something in general H&S law to cover it, but even Hitler couldn’t get the OP under ADR cos the OP is ADR exempt. :smiley:

dieseldave:

nick2008:

Agreed nick2008, there’s probably something in general H&S law to cover it, but even Hitler couldn’t get the OP under ADR cos the OP is ADR exempt. :smiley:

Without serching my bookmarks its something like that there should be only personal effects in the cab area any goods in that area would be deemed as an insecure load or part of etc etc was once warned at a roadside check when i had a few boxies in the front of me to save getting in and out the back all the time …Years ago

dieseldave:

Imp:

Secretelephant:
Can you answer me this one DieselDave ?

Where I used to work we used Bio Diesel. We used to collect it in 1000litre containers. Either in a Sprinter van, or 3 or 4 at a time on an 18t rigid.]

None of us were ADR qualified. Did we need to be ? :question:

You can carry 1x1000ltr IBC of diesel without ADR. Anymore and you need ADR for packaged goods an IBC is classed as a package not a tank. With that the vehicle carrying it will require the relevent sign boards and fire extingushers and a few other little bits and bobs. So if you picking up 2x1000 at moment your in deep doo do if the wheel tappers catch up with you!

Hi Secretelephant,

Imp has this one correct mate :smiley:
So the answer to your question is that an ADR licence IS required if you carry more than 1 X 1,000 liter IBC containing diesel fuel.

Whoever told you to collect more than one IBC of diesel would be dealt with much more severely than a driver, and would probably have the (rather heavy :wink: ) book thrown at them, cos there are multiple offences involved. :open_mouth:
The sender of the diesel would also be guilty of an offence (or two or three. :wink: ) if a follow-up is done.

As Imp said, one of those IBCs is OK if the driver doesn’t hold an ADR licence (the vehicle size is irrelevant for ADR purposes) but you would also need 1 X 2kg dry powder fire-extinguisher on board. :smiley:

Thanks for everyone info. Another reason why I’m glad I dont work at that place anymore! :imp: :unamused: