Question for ROG or Tachograph

I’m pretty sure I know the answer already but I’ll as anyway.

If someone was to work
Monday 15hr
Tuesday 13hr
Wednesday 13hr
Thursday 15hr
Friday 15hr
Saturday Rest

Then they are back in on the Sunday, what is the maximum shift length on that Sunday?

I think it is 13hr as it is within the fixed week.
A planner at our place seems to think it is 15 because you’ve had a weekly rest

It all depends on the times. It looks fine BUT you must have 11 off after the 13 hour shifts.

Awaits ROG with his 19 lines of answers :slight_smile:

You can do 3 x 15 hours again after 24 hours break or weekly rest.

your planner is correct you are wrong :smiley:

green456:

This.

You can do Monday Tuesday Wednesday 15 hours
Thursday off
Friday Saturday Sunday 15 hours if you really wanted to.

It is only the 2x 10 hour drives that is limited to a “fixed week”

Sorry by 15hrs I mean reduced rest not actually work a full 15hrs each time.

NewLad:
Sorry by 15hrs I mean reduced rest not actually work a full 15hrs each time.

Same thing.

That’s fine, I just wanted to know, someone at work does that shift pattern and was asked to do a 15 last Sunday, he said he couldn’t but the planners and tachograph compliance said he can, so he did
A lot of us all thought it came under the ‘fixed week’.

Thanks

NewLad:
That’s fine, I just wanted to know, someone at work does that shift pattern and was asked to do a 15 last Sunday, he said he couldn’t but the planners and tachograph compliance said he can, so he did
A lot of us all thought it came under the ‘fixed week’.

Thanks

Nope, only the 10 hour drives.

ROG will be along soon and show us how we can work 120 hours in a week. lol, its amazing what you CAN do within the rules.

green456:

Agreed :blush: :blush:

You’ve already got the answer, you can legally have three reduced daily rest periods between two weekly rest periods.

So your planner is correct, as far as reduced daily rest periods are concerned a weekly rest or reduced weekly rest gives you another three reduced daily rest periods available before the next weekly rest period.

If DCPC was what it should be then there would be no need for threads like this

Tipper Tom:
If DCPC was what it should be then there would be no need for threads like this

I disagree actually Tom. New lad used a couple of pence of electricity and promptly received an answer to a question that quite frankly plenty of so called trainers would get wrong. He not only saved himself a day off with no pay he saved himself anywhere from £40 to £75 if the prices are to be believed.

Perhaps TN members should be DCPC exempt! :wink:

My point was if DCPC was to actually be a valuable addition to our armoury. By that I mean if it was everything the government wanted it to be we wouldn’t need this thread.

I’m not suggesting the OP is wrong for asking and certainly not wrong for asking in favour of doing the ■■■■ poor excuse that is the current DCPC.

I simply meant that if a driver with any sense or even an old fashioned TM had designed DCPC it would eliminate the confusion and MMTM or even MTTM (My Trainer Told Me)

Tipper Tom:
My point was if DCPC was to actually be a valuable addition to our armoury. By that I mean if it was everything the government wanted it to be we wouldn’t need this thread.

I’m not suggesting the OP is wrong for asking and certainly not wrong for asking in favour of doing the ■■■■ poor excuse that is the current DCPC.

I simply meant that if a driver with any sense or even an old fashioned TM had designed DCPC it would eliminate the confusion and MMTM or even MTTM (My Trainer Told Me)

+1

Would it not be better for those in government to print a handbook with all the legislation in searchable easy read format or a pdf for use on tablets, pc’s or smartphones and issued to all HGV/PCV drivers on completion of their test to when they are confused or stuck on an issue, it could even be subscribed to for updates …oh sorry there aint no money in that :unamused:
I think I nearly thought then :blush:

Any unbroken period of 24 hours off resets the max 3 reduced daily rest rule - unless that 24 hour period has been used for payback

Drift:
Would it not be better for those in government to print a handbook with all the legislation in searchable easy read format or a pdf for use on tablets, pc’s or smartphones and issued to all HGV/PCV drivers on completion of their test to when they are confused or stuck on an issue, it could even be subscribed to for updates …oh sorry there aint no money in that :unamused:

There ain’t no money FOR that either. We spent it all on bankers and ■■■■ wit politicians.

■■■■■■■ brilliant idea though I can only think of one improvement. Why have it after the test and not part of it.

You can get all the rules online, the trouble is interpreting them, I was a coach driver for many years and then had a few years off, the hgv test hasn’t prepared me with all the information needed to know the answer to this question. I found dcpc very usefull on a couple of topics mainly because of the experience of the trainer but still there were questions they couldn’t answer, dcpc needs to be improved a lot but I think that the people that think its useless are already experienced in their own line of work and probably a bit stuck in their ways.

Loaf1:
You can get all the rules online, the trouble is interpreting them, I was a coach driver for many years and then had a few years off, the hgv test hasn’t prepared me with all the information needed to know the answer to this question. I found dcpc very usefull on a couple of topics mainly because of the experience of the trainer but still there were questions they couldn’t answer, dcpc needs to be improved a lot but I think that the people that think its useless are already experienced in their own line of work and probably a bit stuck in their ways.

The biggest problem isn’t the questions that some DCPC trainers cannot answer, it’s the questions they answer incorrectly that’s the biggest problem.

The reason a lot of us think the DCPC is useless is because in it’s current form it’s aimed more at making money than training.

It’s nothing to do with us being stuck in our ways, personally I think vocational training is a good thing, but using it merely to exploit working people is a bad thing :imp:

The DCPC is like many other things that have come out of our membership of the EU, a decent enough idea that’s been poorly thought out by people who’s first priority has little if anything to do with road transport.

Drift:

The Tachodisc app is really useful. Gives the rules and regs in a simple, concise format. I think it’s free but can’t tell on my iPhone as it just says “installed”.