Question about 'beeping' sound in cab

Hi, ‘newbie’ alert :slight_smile: got a question for you ‘experts’… :grimacing:

I wonder if anyone has any ideas as to what this is (I forgot to ask someone today at work and won’t be back for 8 days now)

I did my second shift with Royal Mail today, they are all DAF CFs (class 1 units)

I noted on both my shifts that I hear a short ‘beep’ type of sound quite often when I drive but ONLY when I start from a standstill (ie if I stop at red lights then drive off again, the beep comes on ONCE), this does NOT happen all the time I stop and drive off I have to say, at a guess a third of the times maybe…

I cannot see any flashing lights, can’t understand where it comes from…

I wonder if it’s from the digi-tacho??

anyone has any idea?

sorry can’t really give much more info…

I experienced this too, I put it down to a step protection sensor. Odd thing though that it would always beep when the trailer brakes on a lorry in front released. It really had me miffed.

Try charging your phone :wink:

Matford:
Try charging your phone :wink:

hahahaha thanks wish it was that the answer :laughing: but alas my phone always has more than 50% charge on it :slight_smile:

DJC:
I experienced this too, I put it down to a step protection sensor. Odd thing though that it would always beep when the trailer brakes on a lorry in front released. It really had me miffed.

thanks DJC so am not going mad (or maybe we are both mad?) :grimacing:

It is probably a near proximity sensor. I have one it was a pain in the arse until somebody pulled the wire on it. :wink:

Matford:
It is probably a near proximity sensor. I have one it was a pain in the arse until somebody pulled the wire on it. :wink:

as in ‘a car/cyclist/something’ is very close to you?

I’ll pay attention if it is this next time I’m on shift…thanks :slight_smile:

Seat belt?

the maoster:
Seat belt?

nah it’s not seat belt, that also does a beep but I always wear it when I hear it…

nobodysdriving:

I wonder if anyone has any ideas as to what this is (I forgot to ask someone today at work and won’t be back for 8 days now)

I did my second shift with Royal Mail today, they are all DAF CFs (class 1 units)

I noted on both my shifts that I hear a short ‘beep’ type of sound quite often when I drive but ONLY when I start from a standstill (ie if I stop at red lights then drive off again, the beep comes on ONCE), this does NOT happen all the time I stop and drive off I have to say, at a guess a third of the times maybe…

anyone has any idea?

Just to check, but you are moving forwards aren’t you! :stuck_out_tongue:

:grimacing:

My guess would be the hill start function alerting you it’s about to release the brakes :bulb:

Captain Caveman 76:

nobodysdriving:

anyone has any idea?

Just to check, but you are moving forwards aren’t you! :stuck_out_tongue:

:grimacing:

Yes ‘mrgreen’ forward, it’s not a ‘reverse beep’ :wink: :laughing:

Terry T:
My guess would be the hill start function alerting you it’s about to release the brakes :bulb:

nope,sorry, it comes on the flat (done no hills) and it comes on ‘after’ I have released brakes, about 5 seconds after I release the brakes and I have started to drive… :smiley:

this is turning into some fun game I see! :grimacing:

On the CFs that I’ve driven, you have to manually switch on the Hill Start Assist function every time you restart the engine. Although once switched on, it works on level ground just the same as it does on hills (either uphill or downhill). The only time it makes a sound is if you release the footbrake but do not then press the accelerator within a few seconds - When it sounds the standard Daf warning chime - not a single beep.

It’s the telematics system (canbus) that was installed at the same time as the latest Isotrack system.
It scores your driving style and the beeps are to warn you of something you have done.
As you pull away the beep is most likely to say you’ve over revved the engine. If you brake too harshly you get a beep. If you leave the engine idling too long you get a beep.
It’s the most annoying system and a real PITA. It’s worse on the 17t trucks as in top gear on the speed limiter it says you’re over revving that that’s how DAF and the gearbox manufacturer have designed the vehicle.

Our motors at work (Volvos) quietly beep if you wheel spin or lose traction etc so as you say if its doing it while moving off could be that.

supermatt:
Our motors at work (Volvos) quietly beep if you wheel spin or lose traction etc so as you say if its doing it while moving off could be that.

My 14 plate man does that too, come to think of it, it beeps whenever it flashes any info up on the screen e.g. bulb out.

m1cks:
It’s the telematics system (canbus) that was installed at the same time as the latest Isotrack system.
It scores your driving style and the beeps are to warn you of something you have done.
As you pull away the beep is most likely to say you’ve over revved the engine. If you brake too harshly you get a beep. If you leave the engine idling too long you get a beep.
It’s the most annoying system and a real PITA. It’s worse on the 17t trucks as in top gear on the speed limiter it says you’re over revving that that’s how DAF and the gearbox manufacturer have designed the vehicle.

AAAAAAHHHHHH BINGO! and first place goes to m1cks :laughing:

thanks m1cks! :grimacing:

thinking of it…it may have happened when I just throw the accelerator to the floor as I am driving off from traffic lights turning green in London :wink: :laughing:

I’ll keep an eye on this on my next shift…

so if it ‘scores’ your driving…does the score go somewhere and then they publish the ‘wall of shame’ at the end of the week?? (ie: am I going to feature on such wall of shame? :laughing: )

My Stralis is fitted with cyclist proximity sensors, they activate when the speed drops under 15mph, then the white noise buzzer activates for the left hand indicator as well. On accelerating, the beep occurs when 15mph has been reached and they deactivate.

Ha, this is not a joke,as a fitter a driver came in asking about the bleeping in his cab,went out ,traced fault to his alarm clock I his bag :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: keith