Question 4 u all

I was recovered about a year ago, the driver told me that he only had a class 2 license and that he was going for his test the next week as he had had enough of recovery and wanted a class 1 job… He said that it was legal as he is driving a Class 2 vehicle as is stated on the plate in the cab… I must admit, it did surprise me… Also said that it surprised the police on many occassions when they asked him to move vehicles and he said that he didnt have a license to drive a class 1 or c+e… Think it must be a bit of a “grey area”.

matt1978:
I was recovered about a year ago, the driver told me that he only had a class 2 license and that he was going for his test the next week as he had had enough of recovery and wanted a class 1 job… He said that it was legal as he is driving a Class 2 vehicle as is stated on the plate in the cab… I must admit, it did surprise me… Also said that it surprised the police on many occassions when they asked him to move vehicles and he said that he didnt have a license to drive a class 1 or c+e… Think it must be a bit of a “grey area”.

Presume you mean ministry plate.What does that have to do with it? That only tells you the vehicles operating limits,not who can drive it.
Don’t think there are too many grey areas nowadays.Up to 3.5t M.A.M, class B;3.5-7.5tM.A.M,class C1; over7.5t M.A.M,class C. Pull a trailer over 750kg with any of them and you need +E entitlement.

On a side note, it wasnt you on the A2 last Friday travelling in tandem with another Yellow peril was it?

I’m also of the opinion you need a +E extension to tow pretty much any vehicle (other than maybe a smartcar!)

Highlander:
They seem to be contradicting what their information leaflet says.
If the recovery vehicle is less than 3.05tonnesunladen weight,it can be driven on a cat B licence. The weight of the “trailer” doesn’t come into it,so long as G.T.W. and axle weight limits of the towing vehicle aren’t exceeded.
Obviously,over this weight limit aC1+E or C+E licence is needed,depending on towing/towed vehicles.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/pdf/INF52_250205.pdf

The lass on the phone did state that this information waas applicable to vehicles exceeding 3.5 Tonnes, so you may well be right.

Sorry lad’s/lassie’s,it was a long day. :blush: To put it right,the recovery driver was a class2 driver,(he did not hold a class1 licence,)he wanted to know why he is allowed to tow them but can not drive them.(apart from the obvious)no licence.

From what i can gather via the replies,he is breaking the law he should only tow class2 and under,anything above then class1 driver is required.

ok what if it’s a psv vehicle he was towing ( ie bus/coach) :question:

kitkat:
From what i can gather via the replies,he is breaking the law he should only tow class2 and under,anything above then class1 driver is required.

My understanding is that in his case even towing a class 2 would be illegal and he could only drive the recovery vehicle solo. If you look at the response from the DVLA the towed vehicle is the trailer (ie +E entitlment is required) so a category D would not be required to pull a coach/bus.

mrpj:

kitkat:

My understanding is that in his case even towing a class 2 would be illegal and he could only drive the recovery vehicle solo. If you look at the response from the DVLA the towed vehicle is the trailer (ie +E entitlment is required) so a category D would not be required to pull a coach/bus.

Fully agree,mrpj. The only exemption with regards to towing PSV’s is if the recovery vehicle is operated by the holder of a psv operators licence and it has an unladen weight under 10.2tonnes. Then it can be driven on a category D licence.

Highlander:

matt1978:

Presume you mean ministry plate.What does that have to do with it? That only tells you the vehicles operating limits,not who can drive it.
Don’t think there are too many grey areas nowadays.Up to 3.5t M.A.M, class B;3.5-7.5tM.A.M,class C1; over7.5t M.A.M,class C. Pull a trailer over 750kg with any of them and you need +E entitlement.

Not at work at the mo, so cant check mine, but am sure that the plate states under vehicle type that the vehicle is either Rigid, Drawbar or Artic… With regards to the weights, agree with you completely, no grey area there… According to David Lowe’s Study manual of Professional Competence in Road Haulage it states on Operation of recovery vehicles “Licensed recovery vehicles are exempt from ‘O’ licensing, rhe EU driver’s hours rules and the tachograph requirments, but those persons who drive them must hold driving entitlements of the correct category (category C) and must comply with the British domestic driving hours rules.”

There seems to be quite a few people on this thread who don’t know what they’re talking about.

If the recovery driver has a class C licence then he can tow whatever he likes as long as the weight of the trailer does not exceed 750kgs. Any trailer over 750kg’s requires a C+E licence. If Jim’s unit and trailer did not weigh more than 750kg between the two of them then he would legally be allowed to tow it, regardless of length. Of course it weighs at least 14 tonnes so he can’t. End of story.

No if’s or but’s.

As i said above though about the only vehicle he could tow with his 20 odd ton recovery wagon would be a smart car, which is probably ‘just’ under 750Kg, my mini weighs about 800kg!

Be easier to put it in the cab :laughing:

More to the point though Rob, is that:

He has broken another Lorry :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m just simple lad, :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
after reading thids thread my brain hurts :open_mouth: