Query for first time truck buyers

Hi, Newbie here :slight_smile:

I´m starting a business in which I am looking to purchase my first truck second hand to start off with. I intend purchasing an 18 tonne curtainside.
I will not be involved in the driving of the vehicle having only just turned 25, no licence for the vehicle etc, instead I intend hiring 2 drivers.
I´ve had a look around myself, but I would appreciate some advice from you guys with more experience.
For the record I will be using this truck across Europe.

Who is the best/cheapist insurance company for trucks of this nature (with best cover)?
What should I look out for when taking out insurance? any cons etc?
I won´t initially be based in the UK but my truck will spend a lot of time around Oxford area UK, who are the best service agents for these vehicles?
What should I look out for when buying a new truck second hand?
From what I understand the road tax seems to be around 1250 GBP. Does this seems about right? if so, where do I tax a vehicle like this?
I can´t think of much more other than this for now, but, any other really helpful information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
What do I do about fines my drivers receive abroad?
Any mileage related things to be aware of?

Within the first few months, I plan on buying a 44 tonne curtain side truck if all goes well. Does the procedure differ at all for a larger truck?

Thanks
Martin

martinn12005:
Who is the best/cheapist insurance company for trucks of this nature (with best cover)?

it’s best to ring around, some companies can offer a better deal if your circumstances suit their normal trade, there’s lots of ads in the back of Commercial Motor or you could try asking these people ( although the forum doesn’t seem to be active yet ) viewtopic.php?f=95&t=54093

I won´t initially be based in the UK but my truck will spend a lot of time around Oxford area UK, who are the best service agents for these vehicles?

it depends what make of vehicle you buy

What should I look out for when buying a new truck second hand?

Someone with mechanical knowledge to go with you :wink:

From what I understand the road tax seems to be around 1250 GBP. Does this seems about right? if so, where do I tax a vehicle like this?

you send the forms to your local DVLA office

dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/l … dnear.aspx

The tax for a two axle 18 tonner is £650 ( or £280 with a RPC)
direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow … G_10012715

What do I do about fines my drivers receive abroad?

Pay them !

Within the first few months, I plan on buying a 44 tonne curtain side truck if all goes well. Does the procedure differ at all for a larger truck?

the bills will be bigger :wink:

Do you have work lined up ready for this new venture, own account or looking for work on spec?

Denis F:
Pay them !

Hi,

Obviously the bills need to be paid, but paying bills in other EU countries concerns me (the truck will be always on the go, all around Europe). I´m curious of how I become notified regarding the bills, how they get paid etc

Hi, now i dont want to sound like i am taking the p, but have you obtained your o-licence to operate these vehicles.
I feel that this question must be asked first. as this regulates your 6 weekly checks and who is going to be doing your servicing/repairs etc.
regards p

motionlotion:
Hi, now i dont want to sound like i am taking the p, but have you obtained your o-licence to operate these vehicles.
I feel that this question must be asked first. as this regulates your 6 weekly checks and who is going to be doing your servicing/repairs etc.
regards p

The fact that he posted “44tonne curtainside truck” would make me think No. :grimacing:

Big Truck:

motionlotion:
regards p

The fact that he posted “44tonne curtainside truck” would make me think No. :grimacing:

Umm my thoughts

Think this is a wind up.

Why would this be a wind up?

To answer the other question. No i don´t have a license to drive a truck. I will only be purchasing the vehicle.

martinn12005:
Why would this be a wind up?

To answer the other question. No i don´t have a license to drive a truck. I will only be purchasing the vehicle.

Hi Martin, I was not refering to a license to drive the truck, i was refering to an operators license to operate the trucks.■■?

deary, deary me, martinn i,m giving you the benefit of doubt that this is not a wind up. here are a few questions for you,

have you obtained the following ?

national & international cpc,s or employed someone who has them

international operators licence

where will you operating centre be if you are not uk based

do you have regular work, enough to pay two drivers and yourself

have you considered working out your costs even before buying a truck

i hope you will take account of all these things before you even think of going any further because paying fines from abroad will be the least of
your troubles

do some more research and then see whether you fancy it

good luck

martinn12005:

Denis F:
Pay them !

Hi,

Obviously the bills need to be paid, but paying bills in other EU countries concerns me (the truck will be always on the go, all around Europe). I´m curious of how I become notified regarding the bills, how they get paid etc

this is a wind up, if its not then dont even bother startin!