Quernow Cafe Closed

Was on the A1 link road next to the upgraded A1 by Ripon last week and the Quernow is all boarded up, road blocks in place and up for sale.

good about time been serving ■■■■ food for years.

Amen to that. Never had a decent meal there.

Has been closed for a long time now ■■■■ hole

Can it be assumed it will never open up as a cafe again?
I’ve never been - just wondering.

Goldilox:

It will need a lot of work done before it can re open

The toilets sorted for a start new showers the parking & getting rid of the pot holes the cafe need a good make over just for starters

I only ever went in there once or twice. I vaguely remember being revolted by the state of the toilets at the time and the whole place just seemed like something more akin to Beirut. Truck stop facilities in Britain are notoriously bad, and generally speaking non-existent, we all know that, but this place was a disgrace.
I never welcome to closure of over night parking places, even if they are glorified farm yards, but unless things improved since my visit there 8 or 9 years ago, its demise as an establishment isn’t a bad thing.

What was the one going north bound called, perhaps a mile or so further north? I used to like it in there. Very bad parking area but the building was much nicer and the toilets etc were respectable from memory. I used to like the scran in there as well, though I never had it at Quernow as the place itself put me off.

Barton truck stop, still going, filled up there today

Dan243:
Barton truck stop, still going, filled up there today

Isn’t that on the A19?

I had the giant Yorkshire pudding the size of the plate filled with minced meat and roast vegetables, at Barton truckstop, it was very nice, cheap too, £3.99, friendly staff.

Not Barton. Sorry, I should have said it was on the South bound side, rather than North. It was very close to Quernow, not opposite but very close by.

Is that not Ron Perrys up near easington on the a19

animal:

Goldilox:

It will need a lot of work done before it can re open

The toilets sorted for a start new showers the parking & getting rid of the pot holes the cafe need a good make over just for starters

I looked to see how much it was selling for, :open_mouth:

It is a shame it was a sh!thole,etc. Was it used a lot despite this?

robinhood_1984:
Not Barton. Sorry, I should have said it was on the South bound side, rather than North. It was very close to Quernow, not opposite but very close by.

There was one on the southbound side, slightly south of Quernhow.
It was closed for years, but reopened as the Little Bistro.
I called in once on my way home and had a splendid roast lamb dinner.
It’s not there now, got demolished when the A1 was made into motorway.

axletramp:
There was one on the southbound side, slightly south of Quernhow.
It was closed for years, but reopened as the Little Bistro.
I called in once on my way home and had a splendid roast lamb dinner.

Little Bistro, that’s the one! I used to like that they’d give you food up to the value of what the parking charge was and still give you the ticket to hand in. Basically a very decent free meal courtesy of the boss!

Is it still around, I did a winter back in the UK at the start of 2012 and seem to recall it being closed then? My happy memories of the place would be from 2005-09.

There are plenty of good places to stop, but the inbuild disinclination of most drivers to pay any more than rock bottom is reaping its rewards.

And how they wail, when the facilities they refused to pay for, close down…

war1974:
good about time been serving [zb] food for years.

+1 what a ■■■■ hole

robinhood_1984:
I only ever went in there once or twice. I vaguely remember being revolted by the state of the toilets at the time and the whole place just seemed like something more akin to Beirut. Truck stop facilities in Britain are notoriously bad, and generally speaking non-existent, we all know that, but this place was a disgrace.
I never welcome to closure of over night parking places, even if they are glorified farm yards, but unless things improved since my visit there 8 or 9 years ago, its demise as an establishment isn’t a bad thing.

What was the one going north bound called, perhaps a mile or so further north? I used to like it in there. Very bad parking area but the building was much nicer and the toilets etc were respectable from memory. I used to like the scran in there as well, though I never had it at Quernow as the place itself put me off.

The next stop north is leeming bar services parking at the back down the ramp but good facilities south bound you had London derry services which is also shut thank god

Was Barton Park “truckstop” the one with those God awful coin operated showers in the mens toilets that were either freezing cold, then boiling hot and just as they reached the right temperature the ■■■■ thing would run out of coin, so you’d put in another quid and repeat the process all over again. If that wasn’t bad enough, the fact it was inside the toilets didn’t help, when someone went for a dump, the small of that in the moist air with showers going was enough to make you sick.

I believe the Romans used it when the A1 was made of cobbles…northbound, of course :smiley: