QE2 bridge closed- again!

Expect chaos at the Dartford Crossing, QE2 bridge is closed until 1pm at the earliest due to the wind, traffic being diverted through one of the tunnels so only one tunnel open Northbound… (height restriction 15’ 9")

The kingston bridge is closed lorry went over first time in my puff have i heard of a lorry go over on that bridge :open_mouth:

Edit! just had a phonecall one of ours has gone over driver away to hospital all our trucks north of the border have been ordered to stop.

Christ the police are saying do not travel in the central belt, M9 closed due to numerous blowovers, thank god im not out in it!

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16385049

Looks like there are quite a few routes being affected by this wind.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/news/breakingnews.aspx

“Later in the day the severe gales will transfer to the north and north-east of the country, before easing by the end of the day.”

I hope it doesn’t get any worse as my fence has already blown down :open_mouth: It’s been battering my house since about 04:30 this morning.

Seriously any of you old timers ever heard of a lorry going over on the kingston? Its supposedly 2 lorries aswell.

No but look at what we are supposed to drive around in in these winds, curtainsiders the height of multistorey car parks weighing no more than a knats ■■■■ when empty and never up to weight even when loaded most of the time… good luck yaaalll i,m at home today stay safe as the guys in the office dont give a ■■■■ as long as you get there!!!

merc0447:
Seriously any of you old timers ever heard of a lorry going over on the kingston? Its supposedly 2 lorries aswell.

Yes, years ago one was blown over the side onto the road below ! driver survived too, I believe he is a member on here, Mappo ?

Trev_H:

merc0447:

Yes, years ago one was blown over the side onto the road below ! driver survived too, I believe he is a member on here, Mappo ?

he wasnt blown over, combination of {zb} tyres and a greasy road was the problem

gogzy:

Trev_H:

merc0447:

he wasnt blown over, combination of {zb} tyres and a greasy road was the problem

Thanks for that Gogsy wasn’t sure what happened, not a nice drop though either way !

I’ve just done a 15 mile bike ride in that weather, slighty wind swept and looked like a drowned rat when i got home!!! it was easygoing with a tail wind but when i turned round to go home it was like i was cycling backwards, and all those nice lorry drivers avoiding the puddles for me :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Martin:
Expect chaos at the Dartford Crossing, QE2 bridge is closed until 1pm at the earliest due to the wind, traffic being diverted through one of the tunnels so only one tunnel open Northbound… (height restriction 15’ 9")

it was saying on radio on way down it was closed but chanced it as didnt see any signs up,crossed it at 6 a.m and i didnt think it was that bad,got buffeted alot more on a14/m11 than i did crossing bridge.

Think they closed it about half 6

Just out of interest, as someone at work denied the fact that the tunnels can be used both ways, how does the traffic get directed safely in this situation? I presume that was the way it was done before the bridge was built, but how now, slowly, I guess?

Snudger:
how does the traffic get directed safely in this situation?

Gap in the central reservation just before the bridge,
one tunnel for n/bound, one for s/bound.

Snudger:
Just out of interest, as someone at work denied the fact that the tunnels can be used both ways, how does the traffic get directed safely in this situation? I presume that was the way it was done before the bridge was built, but how now, slowly, I guess?

They have diversion slip roads both sides of the river to route Southbound traffic through what was originally the Southbound tunnel before the QE2 bridge was built. The cones for diverting traffic are always there ready to be used…
Look on Google Earth and the slip roads can clearly be seen.

Originally there was only one tunnel with 2 way traffic, that was very tight for 2 lorries to pass and often mirrors were smashed!

Thanks chaps. I wish they would use the contraflow more when motorways are closed one side for accidents (when I’m on the side of the accident so to speak) but it’s getting harder with concrete central reservations, not that they do it anyway, it seems.

Google earthing Dartford Bridge and… I think I can see the lanes where the traffic changes carriageways from space! Yes, zooming in, I can see they must be built just for this possibility. Been through the tunnel only several times, never noticed that before on the ground. So that’s why no contraflows elsewhere, in general.

Ah, they’re obvious in Street View; I must have seen the cones and assumed they were to do with road works. How thoughtful of them to consider closings of the bridge:- the separation of the traffic from the 2 tunnels up to that point obviously helps.

As for there only being 1 tunnel once, well I suppose it was better than nothing, but a bit narrow for modern traffic!

Snudger:

Hiya in the 70’s there was only the slow northbound tunnel with two way traffic… we had to wait until about 1980 for the second tunnel i think the bridge come in the early 90’s. for dover from the M1 was holloway road /bow/ A13 /rainham
battle for the tunnel (2 way one tube)then down the A2 greenhithe /northfleet /rochester/newington/faversham/canterbury/dover
John

Yesterday I was watching the diversion on traffic cams here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/essex/trafficcameras

Move around the map and click on the cam nearest the North side of the tunnel, the crossover can often be seen there when the operator moves the cam around.

I left home to head North when I saw traffic on the bridge, but still had to queue for one hour to get through the tunnel!