Pumptrucks

Just wondered what sort of weights people are moving if their job entails using pumptrucks? Pulled a muscle in my arm somewhere when trying to turn a 1t+ pallet yesterday.

Quite often get pallets in excess of 1t to be delivered with pump truck and tail lift. I personally think its wrong to expect somone to shift that kind of weight on their own but from a similar thread a while ago, some think its acceptable and see no problem with it.

damoq:
Quite often get pallets in excess of 1t to be delivered with pump truck and tail lift. I personally think its wrong to expect somone to shift that kind of weight on their own but from a similar thread a while ago, some think its acceptable and see no problem with it.

Our class 2 boys often have to do this with private addresses.
1 customer called the police last week because one of our drivers got a tonne of turf stuck on his shingle drive :laughing:

If the pump truck’s decent it’s mostly technique and the condition of the ground rather than weight.

Own Account Driver:
If the pump truck’s decent it’s mostly technique and the condition of the ground rather than weight.

^^ This, but as mentioned, condition of ground + debris on your truck floor + any gradient etc.

If you struggle, ask for help, if they don’t want to help, secure it and ■■■■ off - they ordered it, they want it, makes no difference to your mpg or performance to carry it for the rest of the day.

Most pump trucks will have the weight they’re capable of carrying on them, 2.5t is common, this doesn’t mean 1 person can move 2.5t of stuff over a cobbled road and down a gravel driveway on their own, it means the hydraulics won’t cover your uniform in oil when you try to pump 2.5t of stuff up

Trying to pump a tonne of turf over a shingle drive is going for it, did the bloke think he was the Incredible Hulk?

I got banned from a job because the pallet/pump truck of soft drinks didnt stop on the tail lift & fell off, resulting in the whole lot falling 5ft & landing on the floor. Several years ago, I did a similar thing, only this time it was a pallet of grow bags that I was shop delivering for Wilkos at Leigh that fell off, landing on the bonnet of the Shop manageresss car. Well I did ask her to move it before I unloaded, but she was too busy to do so. However the next couple of days doing the same run, it wasnt parked there

if you can’t move it with one hand, it is too heavy

peirre:
However the next couple of days doing the same run, it wasn`t parked there

Thats probably cos it was in the garage getting a new bonnet.:smiley:

FarnboroughBoy11:

damoq:

1 customer called the police last week because one of our drivers got a tonne of turf stuck on his shingle drive :laughing:

Why did they call the Police ?

Should have called the-
The Local Council (to complain)
Health & Safety Executive.
Jippo’s that laid his Cheap Shingle Drive.
& his Mummy.
(The police should only be called if the Driver turned up not Wearing His Seatbelt or was eating a Yorkie Bar)

Used to regularly lug 750kg+ up peoples drives for B&Q across all surfaces!!

FarnboroughBoy11:

damoq:

And I bet that same customer is always complaining that there’ s never a copper about when you have a proper crime and need one!

Mind you, some drivers are their own worst enemies. I had a lorry tyre delivered on one of the pallet services recently. Because it was at home and I didn’t want to be cluttered up, I chose the option when booking of having the pallet stripped and taken away. My wife found the driver cursing because he’d got the pump truck complete with tyre stuck halfway up our sloping gravel drive. “Why don’t you take the tyre off the pallet and roll it along?” says she. “Oh right” said the driver!
I rest my case!
Bernard

I worked on battery collections many years ago. The truck had its own scales and every box had to be weighed. Some were 1100kg and there’s no way I’d want to do it alone, they always went with a mate. Usually they were moffeted on but when using hire vehicles it was tail lift, pallet truck and elbow grease.

You can pin yourself or impact depending how fast its rolling between the trailer side and the load if you’re not careful…

Our driver made it perfectly clear that as soon as its off the tail lift then that’s it, there is no way you can pull a tonne over a shingle drive so he said he will get the back of the truck to exactly where the customer wants it within the best of his ability… Fair enough. Once the pallet was off, he then decides that he doesn’t want it there and he wants it moved so he can open his garage.
The driver politely explained to him once again that he couldn’t move it and told him about is predicament before hand… Customer phones the builder who then gives our driver ■■■■ down the phone and then our drivers leaves and gets on with his day.
The customer then calls the police :laughing: what a (zb) head.
Not sure if anything will come of it though, I will have to ask him if I see him later.

My first drop this morning was 1800kg on 2x pallets, on a trading estate off the Old Kent Road. Pumptrucked the 600kg one across the road from the loading bay but couldn’t pull it up the slope in to the bakery because of the liberal dusting of flour on the smooth floor. One ■■■■■■ asked didn’t I think it was stupid to strip down the pallets and then restack them? I told him that I’ll remember that next time-the pallets will be left where I can pull them no further.
Just carried 800kgs of flour upstairs at another one, about time a doorstep delivery policy was implemented I think.

Ahh the joys of house drops, surprised the customer diidnt ask him to lay the turf as well :unamused:

He asked, he did, then he went!

What did the homeowner want?? Miracles?

I’d have took em back and said he can have them one by one by post.

I had to pump on 33 pallets of boxed salt onto a garment trailer once (Friday afternoon too).

The first time I ever got blisters in twenty years, including roping and sheeting when I was an egg. You have my sympathy Muckaway, that job is going to make you or break you…

W

there doesn’t seem to be a weight limit in black and white , but employers have a responsibility to ensure the well being of their staff, and carry out risk assessments, and take action where deemed neccessary… more info here… hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l23.pdf