Pullman St Helens

Anybody had these people do an MOT on your vehicle at their St Helens site? For the second year running I have got the vehicle back with damaged tread on front tyres from their brake rollers. Let it go last year, as thought it was a freak occurrence. Same thing has happened again. Anybody experience this, or know of anybody who has, even at other test stations? They won’t entertain any complaints, saying fitter should of mentioned it before he left, so its tough. Tyre fitter who replaced tyre said he had seen loads damaged the same way.

How has the brake test caused damage to the tread ?

The testers I have used in the past work like this.

Tester presses the brake peddle, the wheel locks up or very close to. At that point the rollers stop or the tester lets his foot off the peddle once he has a reading. Don’t really see how that could damage a tyre really. Its no different from taking your Car for test.

Maybe there machine works differently ?

Yes, brake rollers can damage tyres and prior to ATFs VOSA liked to keep quiet about it.

The machine should detect a wheel has locked and stop the rollers. Of the three axles the front steer is more likely to lock on test than the other two so it would make sense. I would have thought a fault with the machine ought to have been identified and rectified in a year.

If the damage is bad enough you want recompense you will probably need to submit a claim in writing with a supporting letter from a roller tester engineer confirming the damage is consistent with brake roller damage and threaten to sue if an unsatisfactory response.

Didn’t you have problems with a dealer putting dud tyres on, or something, before?

Yes, illegal tyre and mismatched rims when I collected it from Preston Scania. They compensated me in full, after much complaining. Widnes Scania maintain it on contract and apparently use Pullman, who have an ATF in the CO-OP in St Helens to MOT vehicles.
Thanks.for the advice. I want.to try and shine a light on this issue. Like I said, tyre fitter from Truckforce said he had seen a lot of front tyre damage similar to mine. Using Goodyear tyres at nearly five hundred quid a go, so am not prepared to be fobbed off by them, and to a certain extent by Scania.
Problem I have is no o/d I know locally uses Truckforce or Scania for MOT tests. So am casting my net a bit further for some feedback, before I contact Pullman and then VOSA.

I would imagine it would have also been roller brake tested in Scania as part of MOT prep so could potentially have occurred there or the ATF lane. Also on test the actual machine operator will have been a VOSA employee tester. Both has got potential for them to blame the other brake roller machine or the operator etc.

Ultimately, though it will just be down to whichever entity takes the money off you for the service of providing the test, presumably Scania, to compensate if they took the truck and it came back damaged. They will probably try and fob you off that it was someone else’s fault but it doesn’t matter, your contract is with them. They need to compensate you and then it’s up to them to kick it back up the line to get their own money back if they believe someone they paid for a service is at fault eg Pullman’s test lane - Wincanton really as they probably run Lea Green Co-op and they wholly own Pullmans.

This is from VOSA’s spec for an ATF lane brake roller tester

2.3 Rollers
The rollers shall have;
a. a surface that is durable and not likely to cause undue tyre damage. A gritted roller is not
mandatory however where issues arise in service then a gritted roller must be available
as a retrofit option.
b. a roller to tyre co-efficient of friction of not less than 0.7µ dry, 0.6µ wet .

Also, have a look on the brake test printout that should be stapled to the test certificate and see if there is an L next to the result for axle 1 and if there is, or not, also on 2 and 3 - I’m presuming it’s a 6x2 unit.

Own Account Driver, I have to say thankyou for a very considered and knowledgable reply to my query.
Especially interesting is VOSA brake roller spec.
See attached pics for tyre damage from both occasions.

Thats pretty bad tbh. Certainly worth a letter to the test center.

I have heard of people complaining about certain makes of brake tester damaging tyres before. Looking closer at the damaged tyre with one square ripped out it doesn’t appear to be down to the tyre structure (cords), is the cut at the side of the missing block down to the cords? If it was, and it was over 25mm long then the VOSA tester should not have passed it. Could the tyre have had a deep cut in it before going on the rollers, and the rollers have then finished the job off by pulling the square of tread rubber out?
VOSA and my ATF I use both use VTL brake testers, and I’ve never had a problem with getting tyres damaged by the rollers.
Anyone know what make of brake tester is at St. Helens?

Coiler, when a vehicle goes for test, the last thing they do is the brake test. Fitter then jumps out, gets readout and certificate and drives back to yard. Not looked at by anybody until I collect it. Always do a walk round, and have noticed this damage two years running. First year I put it down to a weakness in tyre, but two years on the run? Something is not right. Tyres are premium make, only a few months old, and free of any damage prior to test. Remember tyres have been inspected by me, Scania and then VOSA before brake test.
Have emailed complaint to VOSA. Will see what their view is. Prior to this, I have never had a problem, and have used Goodyear for as long as I can remember.

Which Goodyear tread pattern is it & what is the tyre size. On the second picture you can clearly see the scratches on the surface of the tyre where the wheel has been locked and the roller has continued to rotate. Agree with earlier comment that it would be good to know the make of the brake rollers.

We get 3-4 tyres written off each year because of test rollers, one last year was a brand new first life Mich, wasn’t impressed at all but just get the same response from all of them “it can’t be our roller they stop when the wheel locks.” The old test site at Simmonswood was the worst for it, they didn’t auto stop and you could hear the tyre shredding!

Tyres are Goodyear K-Max 154/159. Size is 295/80. Not been able to find make of roller yet, but fitter I asked said they have the same one in Scania workshop. Will ask about that.
It is obvious that roller is not stopping when wheel locks. Brake result shows clearly that front wheels locked during brake test. When I get a reply from VOSA I will mention your experiences in my reply.
Was thinking of going onto Michelins this year, and prior to your post 8legger was wondering if they would have suffered the same sort of damage.
The picture of the latest damaged tyre when looked at closely, shows clearly that something abrasive has rubbed across the tyre, and just pulled the tread off. Was hoping that people could see that on uploaded pic. Thanks Happidays.
Wonder what would happen if you drove away from test and was stopped at roadside? I know you could say it has just been tested, or that damage has just happened, but I wonder whether they would give you the three points and a fine anyway?

Janos:
Was thinking of going onto Michelins this year, and prior to your post 8legger was wondering if they would have suffered the same sort of damage.

I don’t have any photos of ours but all of ours have torn like in your second photo, It makes flaps on the tyre and the tears go down to the wire. We only seem to have problems with fronts and super singles, the drives don’t normally tear even though they lock.

Yes you would def. risk getting points & fine regardless of how the damage occurred. The only thing to do is to check tyres straight off the rollers. Agree predominately steer tyres though sometimes on trailer too - am no expert but suspect higher load per tyre in those positions requires more braking effort to pass and therefore creates more sheer force in the tread area. In my experience if you check down below the rollers you will find numerous pieces of tread rubber. You may even find the pieces that have come out of your tyres. If it can be proven that the damage happened on test, VOSA have a system where they will pay for the tyres to be repaired.

8 legger:

Janos:

I don’t have any photos of ours but all of ours have torn like in your second photo, It makes flaps on the tyre and the tears go down to the wire. We only seem to have problems with fronts and super singles, the drives don’t normally tear even though they lock.

That will be because most braking effort goes through the front.

TBH I wouldn’t like to think how many brake tests ive done in the past ive never seen any issues like this ( although its been a long time since Ive been on the spanners )

I have seen a block like that missing from a tyre before but only the odd one just put it down to it being a dodgy tyre etc in the past

Again I cannot stress enough that if you pay over £100 for any article,part or a service always pay by credit card you then are protected by law that makes the card provider responsible for any defect or damage done on the transaction.even if you only pay part of the bill by credit card it still applies.

Brake test front axle>
apply brake slowly( test for disc/drum warp) max 15 seconds then apply max pressure. end
next secondary rollers starting apply secondary 5 seconds shut down
next park applied 5 seconds roller run end

And this has worn your tyres out

MMMMM. I dont think so

Janos:
Own Account Driver, I have to say thankyou for a very considered and knowledgable reply to my query.

So how many tyres are “ripped” to pieces at the test station?

what a load of crap.
You lock the wheels on the road and it dont shred the tyres but brake rollers do?

talk bloody sense eh!

Bking:

Janos:

So how many tyres are “ripped” to pieces at the test station?

what a load of crap.
You lock the wheels on the road and it dont shred the tyres but brake rollers do?

talk bloody sense eh!

Hmm can see this turning into a “runs on its oil thread”

there is clearly a difference between locking the wheels on the road and a locked wheel having a rather abrasive roller forced to turn on it , flat spot is one clue :laughing:

Bking are you really suggesting that the the truck tyres were damaged prior to the brake test ?