Pulling containers

Seriously considering having a try at pulling containers. I am based in North Lancashire not ideal I know so probably tied to Trafford park or Seaforth. Any advice would be gratefully received. I am aware of rate cuts and teribble feedback with regard to maritime so am I right to not consider ringing Tom ?

Know a few Preston lads pulling containers for Wincanton out of Seaforth. Give them a call and ask about the current o/d situation. Some days the queues are horrendous. New VBS system in place, so may settle down. Not sure if those Preston lads are routed sympathetically, and get home most nights, or just go for it, and get home of a weekend.

I hear that the new booking in system is improving they are using the Crosby rd gate now,fingers crossed for the future.

Tom will promise you the earth, but, the machine that is Maritime will fail you miserably :unamused:

Wincanton and Goldstar will pay you quickly and they will have a working relationship with you, that isn’t of the bullying variety :wink:

Thx Stanley just the sort of info I was looking for.

469 views and only two responses come on don’t be shy.

You could be waiting a while if you are looking for someone to talk up either Seaforth or Trafford Park. I live and work out of Liverpool and I can see Seaforth terminal from my house, but I would not work out of there.
As for Trafford Park, there are not that many viable options. I know o/d’s working there, as I worked over there for a while too. When Maritime took over Roadways it seems to of killed the work over there. A limited choice with no guarantees of ongoing work. Are you that desperate that you are prepared to stop out all week for a couple of jobs a day at rates cut to the bone, and all the stress involved in doing it. Every night driving home I see the trucks queuing up for Seaforth and I never laugh, I just think how lucky I am not to be doing it.

Do yourself a favour and try one of the smaller firms like Stanion rather than a big player. You tend to get a bit better work and don’t get dictated to. If you want to make money pulling boxes, don’t go further than about a 40-50 mile radius from the terminal

Stanian? Seriously, I would go nowhere near them, unless it was guaranteed 30mile radius and weekly payment. If ever a company looked like it has over-extended themselves it is them.

Thx chaps that’s great info.

I’ve done containers on and off over the last 6 years out of Trafford park area and Liverpool mainly speaking for Trafford park I’ve given up my slider hasn’t moved for months there is no one worth subbing for . seaforth is taking an age to get through I was loosing between 2 to 4 hours per truck per box a day and just couldn’t do it no more.good luck if your going to work out of Trafford park its on its knees you will need it .pm me if you need any info

Have you thought of short sea out of immingham or hull

I have a good friend working out of Trafford park he does all rightish but reports that others round him are struggling. He refuses to visit sea forth for the reasons you mention.what is short sea ?

Tarmac duck:
I have a good friend working out of Trafford park he does all rightish but reports that others round him are struggling. He refuses to visit sea forth for the reasons you mention.what is short sea ?

Short Sea … North Sea from Europe, rather than Deep Sea from China / U.S.A.

Whats wrong with tipper work Tarmac? :unamused:

Thought you would have popped up before now.

Well whats the answer Duck. :confused:

It is what it is,think you know what I mean. Have made a very good living from it for 21 years but I am beginning to think that there might be easier ways to earn a crust.

Same old story Tarmac,once them quarries see you buying new tackle they automatically think you are making too much and drop the rates or keep best jobs for themselves or anyone who will work cheaper,you can make as much just being the jockey these days. :frowning:

That is not how it is in my experience. You seem to have a massive downer on operating a tipper as I have said I continue to make a good profit albeit through hard work. What makes you think otherwise.