Pulled

There are plenty of 15m coaches that use that road regularly, Lochs & Glens, Shearings, Highland Heritage and the scheduled Citylink services operated by West Coast Motors to name just a few who frequent Fort William. Most of them manage to stay on the correct side of double white lines when they need to.

I don’t disagree. I’ve driven the road hundreds of times in 10 years.

The road was clear and I was cutting the line, not driving on the wrong side. M

I was straight lining as I was taught to do (when it doesn’t affect other road users).

I’m asking what involvement the TC would have in a situation such as this - a letter, a fine etc.

stagedriver:
I’m not even going to enter into smart ■■■ dialogue if you honestly think an artic handles the same as a coach on bends.

As someone who, for his sins, has a PSV as well, and has had occasion to drive a 14.5m coach…

As an aside, if you’ve been cutting the corners on the Onich road then God help us if you’re ever tasked to go to Mallaig!! :laughing: :laughing:

stagedriver:
The road was clear and I was cutting the line, not driving on the wrong side.

The difference being?? :question:

stagedriver:
Yours bends in the middle and mine doesn’t.

You may seem lots of tourist coaches but I doubt you’ll see many pushing 15 meters in length.

His trailer is just 4ft shorter than your coach and he manages to keep his trailer within the lines. You’re trying to make excuses for the simple fact you were driving too fast on the road you were on for your vehicle. If you cannot keep it within the lane then you’re driving too fast, its as simple as that. If you can keep it in the lane but its uncomfortable for your passengers you’re driving too fast. The law does not allow you to cross solid white lines just to keep your passengers comfortable because you’re going too fast.

I drove the opposite way this morning and still has to cut corners and go over the line!

No you didn’t. You could’ve slowed down. What would’ve happened if you’d met “yourself” in a similar coach coming the opposite way doing the same as you? Glad you’re hanging your keys up in a couple of weeks as it’ll mean the roads will be a safer place.

Ex-National Express? You certainly sound like you drive like one of those dangerous tossers.

Here’s a link to the Traffic Commissioner’s ‘Vocational Driver Conduct’ pdf;

gov.uk/government/uploads/sy … onduct.pdf

Seeing as the Police decided not to issue a fixed penalty, chances are that you will receive a warning letter. The Operator may also be contacted and although this might not be enough to trigger the traffic light system, they may not appreciate being under the spotlight.

:open_mouth: I don’t normally agree with conor because I don’t like his attitude (remember you from Goole :wink: ) But I have to agree with everything you have written above :smiley:

My pointless post I know but just had to agree :wink:

ROG:
Making full use of the road width when safe to do so is something I do but if intending to cross solid lines then not only do I have to be 100% that it is clear but that absolutely nobody else sees me doing it mainly because I do not want them following like sheep or taking the legal risk of getting done

Before someone says that a driver should not cross solid lines - it can be the case that being higher up can command a clear view where being lower down cannot

I am not condoning breaking the law and in most cases crossing solid lines puts a driver into a very big danger zone

NEVER DO IT ON AN IAM TEST
ROG - IAM observer - Leicester

In theory but on the stretch i am sure there is walls and hedges may easily see an oncoming car, van or truck but maybe not notice a motorbike doing the speed limit or above who as well has been reading road craft and going into a left hander right on the edge of the white lines and suddenly gets slammed by a coach doing 50mph half way across the road.

I do the A82 a lot but usually early hours its dark and admit take the “racing line” espec round loch lomond side because its so tight but don’t cross solid lines and its dark so can generally see whats coming and speed is generally lower than the speed limit.

stagedriver:
I’m asking what involvement the TC would have in a situation such as this - a letter, a fine etc.

The worst case would be getting an invite to tea and biscuits with Joan Aitken, ie a driver conduct hearing.
I don’t think the TC can fine you, but they can temporarily suspend your vocational licence, or in serious cases revoke it.
I think it would be unlikely to come to that since the police didn’t actually prosecute you and you may just get a warning letter that it had been noted and could go against you if further issues arose.

The police officer may not even inform the TC and decide that giving you a bollocking at the time was enough.

Haha this is brilliant. People telling me to slow down when they’ve no idea what speed I was doing! Let’s just say it was well below the limit.

The cop didn’t give me a bollocking in the slightest, he only said that his hands are tied and he has to note it and make the TC aware.

And no, I’m not an ex nat driver so less of the attitude, eh?

It’s anchors like you that make me want to keep driving.

did you tell the cop that youre quitting very soon? id have told him that hes wasting everybodys time

Are you teetotal ? im actually surprised that he didnt breathalyse you , everytime iv been pulled up iv been breathalysed and theyve been dissapointed each time judging by look on the face

Win-Stone:

stagedriver:
I’m not even going to enter into smart ■■■ dialogue if you honestly think an artic handles the same as a coach on bends.

As someone who, for his sins, has a PSV as well, and has had occasion to drive a 14.5m coach…

As an aside, if you’ve been cutting the corners on the Onich road then God help us if you’re ever tasked to go to Mallaig!! [emoji38] [emoji38]

The new Mallaig road you could drive sideways on. The old one was more challenging

[/quote]
The new Mallaig road you could drive sideways on. The old one was more challenging
[/quote]
Agreed!!

But… There are still stretches of the old road in use – between Glenfinnan and Lochailort, for example – which a lot of ‘drivers of larger vehicles’ who don’t know the road struggle on.

For real fun though, take the Traigh loop. The new road was closed last weekend because of a FATAC with traffic diverted around the loop: I was heading back towards Fort William (and on to Inverness) and have seldom seen so many coach/lorry drivers sweating/panicing in such a short distance for many a year! :smiley: :smiley:

… as for the bods in the hired campers; don’t get me started!

Ffs, you’re coming across like a bunch of finger wagging women! The op crossed solid whites with no risk to himself, his passengers nor any other road user and a bloody witch hunt has started from the whiter than white brigade, if any of you can tell me that you’ve never cut a corner where your years of experience have told you that it is safe to do so then I’ll call you a liar. Even the traffic cop didn’t go into the usual pre prepared lecture. The op asked for possible outcomes not bloody amateur Judge Judy’s.

the maoster:
Ffs, you’re coming across like a bunch of finger wagging women! The op crossed solid whites with no risk to himself, his passengers nor any other road user and a bloody witch hunt has started from the whiter than white brigade, if any of you can tell me that you’ve never cut a corner where your years of experience have told you that it is safe to do so then I’ll call you a liar. Even the traffic cop didn’t go into the usual pre prepared lecture. The op asked for possible outcomes not bloody amateur Judge Judy’s.

Thank you.

the maoster:

+1
Some of tnuks members must have mountains of awards for their superior driving standard judging by their ability to do no wrong while driving

stagedriver:

the maoster:

Thank you.

If you’re after a sensible answer to a sensible question, this forum is quite probably the last place to post :unamused:

You only have to read the posts from Pricknet “icons” such as Driffield’s answer to the contents of my cess-pit to understand that…

the maoster:

This forum needs a “thumbs up” icon!!

Having never had any dealings with the TC in 30 years surely if you get contacted you must have a right to plead your case.

threewheelsonmywagon:
You only have to read the posts from Pricknet “icons” such as Driffield’s answer to the contents of my cess-pit to understand that…

Still working for £6.50hr? You’ll be due a wage rise in October…