Pulled

Hi all,

Pulled by an unmarked traffic car earlier in Fort William whilst driving my coach. To the south of the town toward Onich the road is very windy and I was making full use of the road. Although not sitting in the opposite carriageway, on bends I was cutting the double solid white line because of the length of my vehicle.

Cop was fair, could have stung me but instead he is going to report it to the TC.

It’s not exactly driving hours or terribly naughty stuff that would warrant anything serious - But i’d be interested to know what normally happens. I was told both my employer and I would receive a letter from the TC but no action was being taken by the cop as such.

Any ideas how it works? I’m hanging up my keys in a couple weeks so not terribly fussed.

Frankly given your account of it I’m surprised they pulled you given that the driver of an unmarked car will invariably be a trained police class one driver who will know the police driver manual “road craft” inside out, and so will be more than aware that it advises that "straightlining " providing it carries no real or potential risk to other road users is perfectly acceptable in certain circumstances. The circumstances in this case being a large vehicle, good visibility and no other road users.

Perhaps there’s a tad more to it, or an attitude test was failed? Not having a pop as I wasn’t there btw.

Believe it or not I had the road craft book on me as I’m sitting my IAM next week so I’m studying up for it.

If I messed up I’d just hold my hands up, mistakes happen. But the road was dry, no other vehicles on it and perfectly safe to do what I did in my opinion.

On one particular stretch you can clearly see through 4 or 5 bends!

But I told him that I was being taught my IAM by a serving traffic cop he then wanted his details so he could pull him up about it. I politely said I wouldn’t like to get anyone in trouble and said he knew I wouldn’t like points and a fine and said all he would do was report it to the TC. :question:

Making full use of the road width when safe to do so is something I do but if intending to cross solid lines then not only do I have to be 100% that it is clear but that absolutely nobody else sees me doing it mainly because I do not want them following like sheep or taking the legal risk of getting done

Before someone says that a driver should not cross solid lines - it can be the case that being higher up can command a clear view where being lower down cannot

I am not condoning breaking the law and in most cases crossing solid lines puts a driver into a very big danger zone

NEVER DO IT ON AN IAM TEST
ROG - IAM observer - Leicester

stagedriver:
no other vehicles on it

stagedriver:
Pulled by an unmarked traffic car

EH !!!

The car was hiding with a view of the road.

Oh dear!!! Was there passengers on the coach? Been pulled out be the police when I worked with First… so embarrassing :blush:

Are you hanging up your “Professional” keys? as in not driving bus/coach/truck again?

Full load, he just spoke through the drivers window.

And I was only 100 yards from the hotel that we were going to!

Hanging up driving big things for the foreseeable future, thankfully. I’d like a social life and to see my family.

Depends what he is going to report you for,could be dangerous/inconsiderate driving…if thats the case is have rather the copper dish out the punishment,TC could place a temporary ban on you.

He didn’t mention anything about a NIP type of offence. Just that he must report the circumstances to the TC and it’d probably just be a letter and no more.

He made it clear HE wasn’t going to prosecute in any way.

stagedriver:
Full load, he just spoke through the drivers window.

And I was only 100 yards from the hotel that we were going to!

Hanging up driving big things for the foreseeable future, thankfully. I’d like a social life and to see my family.

Not so humiliating then :blush:

I was taught that solid white lines should be treated as brick walls

I was also told to take as much room as I need

One of them had to be wrong

Notwithstanding anything the IAM might teach, the rules on double white lines are clear:

Rule 129 Highway Code

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

It says nothing about ‘straightlining’ to make things easier for your passengers.

:confused: :confused: Thought you were ex traffic plod?

likely he only pulled you hoping hed smell alcohol on your breath and then had to justify the stop

The thing is 14.5 meters long and doesn’t bend in the middle - so if I stick to the bends like glue it’s going to be uncomfortable, slow and hindering the flow of traffic if there was any.

The fact that I could see from a high position, through the next 4 or 5 bends that it was clear and safe to do so.

I drove the opposite way this morning and still has to cut corners and go over the line!

stagedriver:
I drove the opposite way this morning and still has to cut corners and go over the line!

That’s funny: my Artic manages that road all the time - and it certainly doesn’t need to go over the lines…

… and I constantly see tour coaches on the same road which appear to manage!

Maybe you need to stick to motorways!

Yours bends in the middle and mine doesn’t.

You may seem lots of tourist coaches but I doubt you’ll see many pushing 15 meters in length. 9/10 coaches are 12 meters.

My trailer is a whole 1 metre shorter than your coach … and hardly ‘bends in the middle’.

Also, I know a 14.5m coach when I see one, thank you.

:smiley:

I’m not even going to enter into smart ■■■ dialogue if you honestly think an artic handles the same as a coach on bends.