Prov licence delays at DVLA?

I’ve sent off my medical and old licence at the start of this week to the DVLA for issue of my Cat C provisional but I can’t quite get my head around the timescales to expect it back. gov.uk/guidance/dvla-corona … -19-update says they have started processing “Apply for or renew a vocational driving licence” from 23 June 2021. Does that cover the issue of Cat C provisionals?

My medical was fine, nothing marginal and done by Cotswold Medicals (who were excellent) if that makes any difference.

What turnaround time have folks actually seen in real life recently?

When I enquired at a couple of training schools this last week they said it could take up to a month for the forms to arrive. The website itself said to expect the forms to take 7-10 days, which I assume to be working days, so I’m expecting to see them middle/end of next week at the earliest.

I’ve read various reports saying the licence itself takes between 1 week and 7 months :open_mouth: to arrive.

I really hope it doesn’t take that long! It’s crazy!

I just found the source I read earlier - it seems people who were trying to do things around Jan/Feb are STILL waiting for their licence to arrive (either for renewals or provisional). People who are trying to do things later are seeing faster turn-around, so I guess it is a matter of “wait and see”.

I sent my forms off last month. Just this week I got a text to confirm it’s been received - I think that means it’s been sitting in a queue for three weeks and is only regarded as “received” when I got the text.

On their website the date for provisional applications show they’ve processed applications received up until the 6th of July. So, I think that means I have another 6 or 7 weeks to wait. Their website updates every Monday I think so I’ll be checking back then.

Sent from my Nokia 5.3 using Tapatalk

silberrucken:
I sent my forms off last month. Just this week I got a text to confirm it’s been received - I think that means it’s been sitting in a queue for three weeks and is only regarded as “received” when I got the text.

On their website the date for provisional applications show they’ve processed applications received up until the 6th of July. So, I think that means I have another 6 or 7 weeks to wait. Their website updates every Monday I think so I’ll be checking back then.

Wow… so about a 3 month wait then??

Do you have a link for the page?

TruckerGuy:

silberrucken:

Wow… so about a 3 month wait then??

Do you have a link for the page?

I’ve just noticed I’ve been looking at the wrong section. It’s a vocational driving licence rather than first provisional so it appears that they’ve only processed applications up to the 23rd of June [emoji24][emoji23]

silberrucken:

Thanks, that was what I was afraid of… Oh well, not much to be done about it.

I sent off my old licence and medical in June 21 for C provisional and received it back just under 5 weeks later. If you have you DL number you can check online. It took 1 week for my licence to arrive after the provisional entitlement was added online.

@Local - that’s not too bad. Did you get the text @silberrucken mentioned when they opened your application? I ask as I sent my application in ‘signed for’ but the royal mail tracking site is still showing it as undelivered after a week. I’m pretty sure that’s just Royal Mail incompetence and it is in a pile at DVLA, but it would be nice to get some confirmation of that!

I sent mine off standard first class on the 28th of July, the provisional entitlements were shown online on the 14th of August (can check it here gov.uk/view-driving-licence) and I got my licence back in the post on the 18th. Was a lot quicker than I expected.

OK, well 3-5 weeks with a bit of luck then. That would certainly be better than I feared. Fingers crossed and thanks.

@Inglebert - I didn’t receive a text as I just sent it all via royal mail post.

I sent mine recorded delivery and got the text just over three weeks later as I put my number on the forms. If they are being processed quickly then I’m glad to hear it but sadly I think that’s the exception to the norm.

I posted mine special delivery 21st of July, I’ve heard nowt yet…

Hi, I’m a new member to the forum, so firstly; Hello ALL.

My cat c provisional took 5 weeks.
I posted my D2 & D4 forms on the 8th June, my provisional cat c was updated online 15th July.

It’s been over 12 weeks, Still I’ve not yet had any news on my medical. I’ve called the DVLA medical number, where you get the standard message that states… “Do not call if you are inquiring regards time scale for your D4 medical” Not much you can do other than wait.

On a positive note, I passed my theory & Hazard perception tests yesterday. :smiley:

MDW:
Hi, I’m a new member to the forum, so firstly; Hello ALL.

My cat c provisional took 5 weeks.
I posted my D2 & D4 forms on the 8th June, my provisional cat c was updated online 15th July.

It’s been over 12 weeks, Still I’ve not yet had any news on my medical. I’ve called the DVLA medical number, where you get the standard message that states… “Do not call if you are inquiring regards time scale for your D4 medical” Not much you can do other than wait.

On a positive note, I passed my theory & Hazard perception tests yesterday. :smiley:

Your provisional status was updated online but you haven’t heard back about the medical? I thought the provisional is only granted when the medical part has been confirmed as a “pass”?

Hi Silberrucken,

Thanks for your reply.

I have called DVLA this morning and they have confirmed you are correct.

Thanks

Well, that’s rather better than I thought - logged in yesterday and the Cat C provisional has been applied to my licence, so just over a week after it arrived in Swansea. That’s not bad.

Theory and HP tests booked for 10 days to give the licence time to arrive in the post. :smiley:

The theory booking website doesn’t offer me the case studies test, I was under the impression that I could do that on the same day as the other two, have I misunderstood that?

Inglebert:
Well, that’s rather better than I thought - logged in yesterday and the Cat C provisional has been applied to my licence, so just over a week after it arrived in Swansea. That’s not bad.

Theory and HP tests booked for 10 days to give the licence time to arrive in the post. :smiley:

The theory booking website doesn’t offer me the case studies test, I was under the impression that I could do that on the same day as the other two, have I misunderstood that?

You can, I was the same as you, managed to book my theory and hazard straight after each other but mod 2 wasn’t showing. I checked back 5 minutes after booking and a space had appeared. Just keep checking and one will show up. I was fortunate to get someone’s late cancellation I think, it’ll be down to luck if you manage to get it on the same day.

Thanks - it’s not just a timeslot not appearing for the CPC test, it’s the list of tests I can book right at the start of the whole process. So it offered LGV Multiple Choice, LGV Hazard Perception and the same for PCV, but no CPC for either. That’s before I put in a location or day, so if it’s because of no slots that must be country wide! I’ll keep trying…