Proposed Reduced Seed Limits - Discuss

timesonline.co.uk/tol/drivin … 864847.ece

Just some suit makin it look as if hes doing his job. :imp: :imp: :imp:

It looks like i’ll be getting banned.

and as of April 1st we’ll be told to drive on the
RIGHT :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Everybody thinks about speed and cars. What about destroying our beautiful countryside with even more ugly posts and cameras. You want to take a photo of a pretty scenic view and right there in the middle of the photo is a bright yellow distrcating speed camera!.

Does that mean that I,m not going to be able to plant as many nasturtiums in me garden border this year?? :question: :question:

they always say in the interest of safety but even if we all drove at 10 mph there would still be accidents, someone fiddling with the radio, destracted by something at the side of the road, tiredness, badly planned manouvers or just simply getting it wrong!

They blame speed as its the easiest to prove or disprove, its a black and white right or wrong. At 50 people will still die and even if its 50 people will still speed, there will still be boy racers, joy riders etc etc.

They also claim its better for the environment, but how can manufacturing and installing thousands of cameras, cabling, computers to process data and printing and posting paper fines be any better than the amount of co2 saved from driving at 50 instead of 60?

Nothing would change for us then, it would still be 40mph just like it is now. 10mph less for LGV.

you know what would be better, teach folk how to drive better,
especially youngester, they should be made to take a test after 2 years of driving to see if they are stil safe and then everybody should get an assesment after ten years then things might be safer, there si no need to cut the limit to 50 who will do it anyway

Alan DJ:
Nothing would change for us then, it would still be 40mph just like it is now. 10mph less for LGV.

It would make more sense if they reduced it to 50 for cars and at the same time pu it up to 50 for LGVs - that would also stop all the discussions we have been having on this very issue.
Oh, hang on… we might get bored… :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Approximately 800 people are murdered in this country every year and quite rightly we take that seriously. Around 3,000 die on our roads every year but woe betide anyone who suggests measures that might help reduce that! The vast majority of “accidents” aren’t “accidents”. They’re the result of poor driving and speed is very often a factor in that so taking steps to reduce speeding will save some lives. Does anyone object to saving lives? I don’t like the Gatsos because too many people speed up to them then hit the anchors for 50m then back on the gas driving like pricks. Average speed cameras should be better and the inescapable fact is that we are seeing this approach because if you leave it up to the average driver he tends to ignore the speed limits anyway 'cos he is a good driver and he can see it’s a good bit of road blah,blah,blah! I was passed on the M1 on friday night by a Lambo and some other car having a tear up. I don’t know what the other car was 'cos it flew by far too fast for me to see. I won’t miss ■■■■■■■■■ like that. :unamused:

You could lower the speed limit to 20 mph and people will still crash. There are some pretty stupid, pretty crap drivers on the roads. better enforcement would be better, not by PCSO, HATO or Camera but by 6 feet tall policemen with real power

i really need to reduce my “seed” limit.
but no,i dont stick to them anyway,so makes no difference to me.
faster faster,whooo …yeahhhhhhhhhhh.

The Goverment will come up with all sorts of hair brained schemes like this. They are throwing money at the banks and wasting it as usual. Who has to pay, Joe public.

Reducing the speed limit is not really going to make a blind bit of difference to road safety…

Increasing the Police presence on our roads, both marked and unmarked will, come down hard on the red light jumpers, and general pratt thats are about, the knob heads the cameras will never catch…

Now is the time to get rid of this useless government and replace. They have totally ruined this country.

Driving back north on the M40 Saturday morning,around High Wycombe area,traffic in all three lanes,a ■■■■ on a motorbike overtook the traffic in lanes 2 and 3 along the white line,doing well over a ton!
I’d fall about laughing if he creamed himself.
Taking my mum in law to the hospital Saturday night,20.00 hours,dual carriageway,traffic lights plus filter lane on offside for turning right.I stop in the filter lane to turn right,two boy racers pull up side by side in the other two lanes.As the lights go to amber,squealing of tyres and they’re off.
As I am waiting for the opposing traffic to stop,a female driver bombing down the outside lane passing everyone,WITH NO ■■■■■■■ LIGHTS ON!
Funny?Yes.But,if there had been a gap in the traffic and I’d gone through?The consequences don’t bear thinking about.
Speed limits?It’s like Jeremy Clarkson says,“It’s not speed that kills,it’s the sudden stopping that kills!”

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOUNG INEXPERIENCED drivers and riders restricted to less powerful cars and bikes.The speed limit should not be 1 size fits all but a reasonable speed for the road,in the Highlands some roads are narrow ,twisty with passing places why are we allowed 60mph on those roads.?

nick2008:
and as of April 1st we’ll be told to drive on the
RIGHT :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

No, that would be too sudden. They can’t introduce so drastic changes at once. It should be done step by step.

So from 2011 onwards cars will start to drive on the right, from 2012 lorries will join them, and in 2013 buses and motorbikes follow :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Speed is often the main factor in accidents, RoSPA research has proven this, BUT,as RoSPA goes on to say,it is inappropriate speed that is the major cause. Most of the accidents happen with vehicles doing less than the posted limits. What we have got, as shown in previous posts on this thread, is an inability to work out a safe speed to drive at , bearing in mind the road conditions. Only lots of traffic police will sort this out,not revenue raising cameras. How many cameras monitor motorwy splits and how many vehciles have you seen cross from lane 3 to exit, braking hard, or jumping into lane 1 across the double white lines of the chevrons?