Proper flatbeddin

after posting on the t’other channel i thought i would chuck it up over here aswell to show some of the old timers some of us younguns still have skills :sunglasses:

those of a work shy nature probably should look away now

still here billy ?

ok as some of you know i drag flatbeds around for my sins and have been known to throw tantrums when told to pick up tautliners :neutral_face: and also when is called for i also practise the dark art of roping and sheeting so rather than the promised diary mainly due to me forgetting to take piccys and tap stuff out so i thought instead i would throw a few piccies as some people think all we do is shift blue things about which is partly true as it does form a good chunk of our work but we still shift steel and other stuff about :smiley:

now then unlike some where i work i still take pride in my work and always come rain or shine try to do a decent job look after my kit

it does also tend to have other benefits such as getting left alone by the vosa bods :wink:

this happened on a site i had the misfortune to visit and after many discussions about the suitabilty of the ground and access :unamused: now bearing in mind that it had been ■■■■■■■ down more or less constantly fora week or so prior to me turning up they still insisted on having a bowser driver going round the site to keep the dust down :angry: and at best the ground could be described as boggy especially after said bowser driver inisted on stopping to text every ten minutes or so leaving water to gush out while he was sat still which made things a bit more interesting

it made for a bit of a bum twitchy moment i can tell ya

anyhow managed with the help of a digger to lift some off and lift the trailer out with a bit of damage to the side guard :slight_smile:

because of the work we do sometimes a bit of damage is inevitable although with a couple of our chaps they must think its compulsory :unamused:

and sometimes you have to improvise a bit to get it back to the yard

oh and we also shift stuff that doesnt need to be covered

and of course the pallets

ta for looking and hopefully billybigrig and flying foden aren’t to traumatised by all this :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Good thread and interesting too. Admire the work put into the roping and sheeting… I can’t even do a dolly knot but manage to get by on hay and straw and in the pat, brick and block with crane. You’re not one for just being a driver either then?! :slight_smile:

gonzothejaffa1:
after posting on the t’other channel i thought i would chuck it up over here aswell to show some of the old timers some of us younguns still have skills :sunglasses:

young??

you??

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Gonz:

still here billy ?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Oy I’ll have you know I resemble that remark. I work very hard to make sure I do so little in my twilight years :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:

Gonz:

still here billy ?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Oy I’ll have you know I resemble that remark. I work very hard to make sure I do so little in my twilight years :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Me too. I am winding down for my retirement. :stuck_out_tongue:

gonzothejaffa1:
show some of the old timers some of us younguns still have skills :sunglasses:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Nice pics, I didnt look away even though I’m off a work shy nature, and glad that I do boxes now, done a small amount R & S, but would allways try to avoid in favour of a Tilt back in the dim and distant, even if it involved a strip out :wink:

Got to say that I do miss getting involved with the load,but then I put my feet up and make another brew :wink:

shuttlespanker:

gonzothejaffa1:

young??

you??

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

well am younger than you :-p

Warm work but woth it!!

Some good stuff there gonzo, i’m like you, prefer to be on flats…

you see that’s the kinda stuff I wanna be doing, closest I got to it on class 2 but now with my class 1, fingers crossed

I’m a tipper man but just lately I’ve been doing a bit of flat work and I like it. For one reason is that my old Foden’s a lot better on diesel. Much prefer a flat trailer to a curtain sister.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347831487.016097.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347831533.844209.jpg

gunnerheskey:

Hi gunnerheskey,whats with John Brindley stuff?thought you were on Shroppys(wouldn’t have thought you’d have any spare hours on shroppys to go moonlighting)

Eyup Dave you owd ■■■■, hows it going on there?

Hi, Derbyshire Foden,

I recognise that Foden of yours, It was on bulk animal and poultry feed deliveries . I was one of the drivers that shared it when it was new( 2 x daydrivers 4 on 4 off +night driver) Porters Feeds from Navenby nr Lincoln and Flixborough Scunthorpe.
It would be ready for an easier life when Porters parted with it . It was always at full weight and pto blower most of the time, 4 or 5 loads a day, 45mins. tipping time.
Mr Porter wanted his pound of flesh.

Cheers Bassman

Bassman:
Hi, Derbyshire Foden,

I recognise that Foden of yours, It was on bulk animal and poultry feed deliveries . I was one of the drivers that shared it when it was new( 2 x daydrivers 4 on 4 off +night driver) Porters Feeds from Navenby nr Lincoln and Flixborough Scunthorpe.
It would be ready for an easier life when Porters parted with it . It was always at full weight and pto blower most of the time, 4 or 5 loads a day, 45mins. tipping time.
Mr Porter wanted his pound of flesh.

Cheers Bassman

Hello Bassman
She’s still earning her corn now. Thanks for the information about her I wondered what drivers it had. It was really clean in the cab when I got it. I pull a tipping trailer most of the time so it’s always a full weight and pulling out of the quarry’s in the Peak District so it’s all hill work. I’m up Scotland in her tonight. My mate had a 53 plate that was Porters but he sold it last year. Thanks Sam.

Hi,DerbyshireFoden,

Porter had 3 51 plate Fodens ,the first two which was CWC &CWD were bought as Y reg. ones and not used so he re-registered them as 51’s.
Your’s went straight on the road. Even though they were worked hard they were well maintained,and my experience of them was they were reliable.
I always preferred the Fodens to the DAF and I certainly preferred the ■■■■■■■■ Porter had a couple of older Fodens with the ■■■■■■■ 405 in and you could hardly tell the difference between them and the 420’s. I think you would if you was working the Peak district a lot. I parted company with Porter as the 02’s were just coming in ,so I’ve no info on any later ones.
It’s a wonder you couldn’t smell poultry feed in the cab, it was a smell you got used to. It must have had a good valet and polish. All in all it wasn’t a bad truck.

Cheers Bassman

B1 GGK:
Eyup Dave you owd ■■■■, hows it going on there?

tis going well pal keeping out of mischief :wink: :sunglasses:

sorry for the late reply first chance i’ve had to get near the laptop

colinwallace1:

gunnerheskey:

Hi gunnerheskey,whats with John Brindley stuff?thought you were on Shroppys(wouldn’t have thought you’d have any spare hours on shroppys to go moonlighting)

Alright col !
Had to have a change, you know, the four year itch :smiley: Its when i realised, there is more to life than work :smiley:

Thought I would put some of my attempts at roping & sheeting & proper flat loads on here, apparentley there is a train of thought amongst some drivers (or rather steering wheel attendants) that it’s ok to sheet up a load and then put straps over the sheet, I was always taught the straps go on the load then you sheet up and finally you rope it. We can all make a decent job of a nice square load, like it always shows in a book, but when you have machinery or something with sharp corners on or an odd shape to it, that’s when the sheets get ripped or flap in the wind after the first 2 miles.

T Turner Wool bags.JPG

ruf hopper.jpg

Sheeted.JPG

I LOVE STRAPS,AND BUNGEES GET THAT SHEET TIGHT AND FOOT DOWN NOT BOTHERED WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE JUST GIVE ME THE MONEY LOL!