Proof that being nice to the loaders works

I arrived at a distribution centre this morning at half eleven. I gave the guy behind the desk the paperwork and he says to me “itll be a couple hours before we get to you buddy. We’re short staffed today”. “No worries mate” I says “Im parked over the yard there. Just give me a shout when your ready?”. I went and used the toilet (Im not one to ■■■■ against the wheels) and when I came out there was another driver giving it “I cant wait that long. Im booked for 12 and I need to be out of here by half 12 at the latest. Get another forklift or something. Your always short staffed in here”. Not aggresive but definetily an attitude problem was lurking. I didnt think anything of it and went and sat back in my cab.
Cue 1220 and guy appears from warehouse door. Whistles and beckons me onto bay . Took them 30 mins to load and I got the green light. I went and got paperwork,got back in my cab and I was off out the gate at about quarter past 1.
Meanwhile mr “im out of here at half 12 loaded or not” was still sitting stewing in his cab,arms folded and head shaking. It was quite amusing :laughing:
Ive always one to be nice till the other person is a ■■■■ first. And it worked in this instance.
He’s probably still sitting there!

He can sit there until Easter with his attitude,serves him right. Hope he brought his sleeping bag and Pot Noodles.

I learnt that many years ago, just grit your teeth and smile.

yup even if you get a bit of hassle first time in, be polite, smile and if required sympathise, maybe a comment on the weather etc., makes life more pleasant for everyone. And they’ll remember you years later even if you’ve just been in on agency a couple of times :open_mouth: I’d rather be remembered as a decent bloke than a miserable ■■■■■

My line in this situation is “Take your time pal, i’m paid by the hour so that’s fine by me”

normally out an hour later :unamused:

More often than not being nice as pie is the way forward, however at Fresh Direct at Bicester, the only option is to demand your keys when you have 20 minutes left and run to get parked up.

I think a lot of warehouse staff behave in a similar manner to toddlers, so it is quite a simple tactic to apply reverse psychology. So if you are in a hurry tell them no rush and vice versa. Telling my kids they were not allowed a bath or got to bed worked well for a few years until they worked it out.

098Joe:
I think a lot of warehouse staff behave in a similar manner to toddlers, so it is quite a simple tactic to apply reverse psychology. So if you are in a hurry tell them no rush and vice versa. Telling my kids they were not allowed a bath or got to bed worked well for a few years until they worked it out.

Yea thats right, tell them you are tossin it off,then watch um shift :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing:

toby1234abc:
He can sit there until Easter with his attitude,serves him right. Hope he brought his sleeping bag and Pot Noodles.

I used to load those pot noodles was shunter in crumlin for 12months…

Having done loading I can tell you that if the driver is a ■■■■ coming out with all kinds of bull and excuses then he gets forgotten about, driver came in and was polite and helpful then we did it quick as we could.

Manners and being polite isn’t difficult and costs nothing.

I used to go to a big furniture warehouse in Glasgow years ago, famous for long delays and shall we say less than enthusiastic staff ! When I went the first time and put my notes in, I said some thing like “hell your yards busy today,I’ve parked in the corner out of your way,if you don’t mind just give me a shout when it’s my turn” Then as I walked away said " If its getting close to 4 30,can you leave it till after that because I will be watching Countdown,and I really like doing the conundrum at the end!"
You can probably guess the rest !!
Regards. John.

cliffstephens:

Aaah good ol’ Crumlin hey, are the bay’s any bigger? Has anybody managed to put one in the ditch opposite the bays?:lol:

I don’t mind waiting, I just get the police to come, because I’m out of hours,
I know they come, someone in a rdc gave me the personal number of David Cameron.

The-Snowman:
I arrived at a distribution centre this morning at half eleven. I gave the guy behind the desk the paperwork and he says to me “itll be a couple hours before we get to you buddy. We’re short staffed today”. “No worries mate” I says “Im parked over the yard there. Just give me a shout when your ready?”. I went and used the toilet (Im not one to ■■■■ against the wheels) and when I came out there was another driver giving it “I cant wait that long. Im booked for 12 and I need to be out of here by half 12 at the latest. Get another forklift or something. Your always short staffed in here”. Not aggresive but definetily an attitude problem was lurking. I didnt think anything of it and went and sat back in my cab.
Cue 1220 and guy appears from warehouse door. Whistles and beckons me onto bay . Took them 30 mins to load and I got the green light. I went and got paperwork,got back in my cab and I was off out the gate at about quarter past 1.
Meanwhile mr “im out of here at half 12 loaded or not” was still sitting stewing in his cab,arms folded and head shaking. It was quite amusing :laughing:
Ive always one to be nice till the other person is a ■■■■ first. And it worked in this instance.
He’s probably still sitting there!

Alternatively, they simply loaded the vehicles in the order they arrived regardless of driver attitude, and Mr “Out by 12.30” was next on the bay once you’d gone?

Pimpdaddy:

cliffstephens:

Aaah good ol’ Crumlin hey, are the bay’s any bigger? Has anybody managed to put one in the ditch opposite the bays?:lol:

Still the same Jesus I spent most of my days watching 3horses in the field …tightest bays I ever did could only do em in the right order…

same on the airport[heathrow]one guy some years back went into air Canada creating hell saying that he had been there 2 hrs already,apparently he was still there 8 hrs later because he got mouthy

The only bad loader I’ve ever encountered was at Scunthope and that was today.

Roymondo:
Alternatively, they simply loaded the vehicles in the order they arrived regardless of driver attitude, and Mr “Out by 12.30” was next on the bay once you’d gone?

Well it’s possible but I assume because he was booked in for 12 and I had no book in time that they would have taken him first but due to his attitude he got left.
Of course I might be wrong but it just felt like that was the case. Who knows when it comes to loaders!

trubster:
My line in this situation is “Take your time pal, i’m paid by the hour so that’s fine by me”

normally out an hour later :unamused:

I find that line gets all the full timers gurning at you. :laughing: :sunglasses:

Radar19:
The only bad loader I’ve ever encountered was at Scunthope and that was today.

As long as a Mr S. Hope isn’t the loader, since what would that leave if this mighty talent should be taken away from Scunthorpe. :open_mouth: :grimacing: