Professional tag ! !!

It seems we are all “Professional” driver’s these days, but when were we tagged with this label?
It seems to me that the road transport industry started labelling us with the term Professional to presumably change the image of trucks and drivers, and the industry as a whole. Whilst I’m all for portraying an image that is positive, my concern still remains that the industry seems to show itself in a manner which befits the word “professional”, but then lets itself down by way of poor management -I.E treating drivers with contempt. We all hear stories of how drivers have been treated at certain companies (who shall remain nameless), so I guess my question is, does the industry portrayal itself as a supposedly professional industry for its own ends■■? Then there is the question of a “professional” wage/salary, should there be an industry standard amount for a driver, if so how much…30k…35k…40k, surely if we are what they make us out to be,then do we not deserve a professional wage/salary■■?

Its just a phrase the police use when your in trouble.

Basically the only time truck drivers are called Professional is when the word can be used as a stick to beat them with.

The only time “professional” is used, is normally proceeded by so called and followed by hits bridge, car, house or gets stuck etc.

As everyone says, you only a professional when it suits, other times your a knob head :wink:

How many Professionals does Keith on the forklift, or Doris in the goods in, manage to boss about during the working day?

Just drivers then :confused:
Keep telling yourselfs your professional all you want, but anywhere you go the lowest earner on the payroll will tell you exactly what they want you to do.

Go figure.

Professional just means you earn money doing it. Like prostitutes.

People get their knickers in a twist over the professional driver tag. The only reason why we are labelled as such is you can be a driver and also be unpaid. The professional label is the difference between you, and an average road user. Simple.

Perhaps we are considered professional as we undergo training and hold a vocational licence, that said I have witnessed some real amateurs in this job so perhaps it’s more an attitude and approach to the job that make a true professional.

chester:
How many Professionals does Keith on the forklift, or Doris in the goods in, manage to boss about during the working day?

Keep telling yourselfs your professional all you want, but anywhere you go the lowest earner on the payroll will tell you exactly what they want you to do.

Go figure.

How many idiots are open to taking abuse…

It does make me wonder why no-one tries it on with me? Is it because I’m a bruiser (not likely) or because I manage to smile and be polite to people… Seen enough moan arsey drivers stomping about going “I’m a class 1 driver, I can’t drive a rigid” to guess which it is…

Even with long hair and a nose piercing I’m not exactly what you call typical, but no-ones tried it on with me yet. :laughing:

muckles:
Basically the only time truck drivers are called Professional is when the word can be used

to make them feel better without Pay rise.
or how would you feel as Hand with Driving License? You would more likly ask for a Payrise every Year

Even with long hair and a nose piercing I’m not exactly what you call typical, but no-ones tried it on with me yet. :laughing:

Are you going ahead with the surgery or are you happy being a bit in-between :stuck_out_tongue:

I have only ever been called professional when someone is accusing me of doing something wrong, or demanding money to keep my licence.

As has been said, it just means you are paid to do it, not that you should have wage parity with lawyers.

MrH:

:laughing:

Are you going ahead with the surgery or are you happy being a bit in-between :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you feel comfortable with all those friends inside your head :question: :grimacing:
Op,
ask yourself ,
would you like the tag # Professional
or

Cowboy .

Either are available ., and either are used based on circumstances and conversation topic. Job title = Driver - extraordinaire :grimacing:

MrH:

Happy being in between. I can wear drag up town while ■■■■■■■ standing up :smiling_imp:

mrginge:
Its just a phrase the police use when your in trouble.

They are right though, they only stop you for being unprofessional, had that in both a truck and taxi just the once, the phrase, your a professional and you should know better is correct, should know better to not get caught…

Drift:
As everyone says, you only a professional when it suits, other times your a knob head :wink:

Well thats my problem if they talk down to me then they get the same back, big time :wink:

htmldude:

chester:

Go figure.

How many idiots are open to taking abuse…

It does make me wonder why no-one tries it on with me? Is it because I’m a bruiser (not likely) or because I manage to smile and be polite to people… Seen enough moan arsey drivers stomping about going “I’m a class 1 driver, I can’t drive a rigid” to guess which it is…

Who mentioned anything about idiots taking abuse?
We all now know for some reason you have long hair and a nose piercing and you think no-one tries it on with you because of that!

I thought it was since they brought in the Certificate of Professional Competence. Before that we were UUI (Uncertified Unprofessional Incompetents).

MrH:
Perhaps we are considered professional as we undergo training and hold a vocational licence, that said I have witnessed some real amateurs in this job so perhaps it’s more an attitude and approach to the job that make a true professional.

+1