Professional Drivers

DABenji:
confidence! ha I am confident behind the wheel but I also show a little respect to the vehicle as it can kill, and most of the times it has been down to speed. theres a differance between confident and over confident.

all I am saying is if someone wants to go rolling themselves down an embankment then thats up to them but dont take me with you as I would like to get home at the end of the week.

i’m not saying you’re not confident, but why should you class me as over confident because i can go faster than you in adverse weather conditions.
how do you equate driving in the middle lane at only 10 to 20 mph faster than you to rolling down an embankment and taking you with me
the only thing that could cause me a problem on a straight wide road at them speeds is if you did something silly like pulling out in front of me without warning

Harry Monk:
Well, let’s face it, the vast majority of lorry drivers are brain-dead morons.

not all of them though harry :laughing:

Harry Monk:
Well, let’s face it, the vast majority of lorry drivers are brain-dead morons.

That’s good. I must be in the small minority then… :smiley:

biggusdickusgb:
the only thing that could cause me a problem on a straight wide road at them speeds is if you did something silly like pulling out in front of me without warning

Thats probably exactly what the guy who just got killed by hitting a truck parked in a layby on the A14 thought.
Another lorry (Asda one) overtook my mate on the A34 this morning, jacknifed and then about six cars following all did too. One ended up under the Asda guys trailer. If it wasn’t for these people, where else would we get a good stock of late,low mileage used parts for cars !!!

do you mean the guy in his car that ran into the back of a parked lorry,
i fail to see whats that got to do with me doing 55 in the middle lane of a motorway

It’s the lack of confidence of todays so called proffessional lorry drivers that cause problems on the roads.

the thought that you might cause an accident, makes it more likely that you will. If you have the confidence that you won’t cause an accident because you know what your doing behind the wheel of a 44 tonne artic your a lot safer than somebody who is nervous because the road conditions have changed.

the more heavy vehicles that use a lane with some snow on the quicker it gets cleared.

Stop ■■■■■ footing about and get driving.

DaBenji, sorry to say it but your the one giving us a bad name by driving like a nervous wreck on a motorway not the guys who overtook you to get to where they wanted to go, confidently, safely and quickly.

biggusdickusgb:

ROG:

BigJon:
Too bad people here are too stupid to adapt to winter driving.

Or they have never been taught to how to drive in snow !!

I have just taught 3 of my neighbours - 1 male & 2 female how to - they had no idea what the pitfalls were and would not drive in it as they did not know how to - how do you propose we address the issue :question:

This is why so many out there are driving over-cautiously - they do not know how to drive in this

i too have been doing this with my girlfriends son seeing as we’ve had 6" of snow today, he’s only had his license for 10 months so i took him on the empty car park at our local shops and showed him what causes a skid, then taught him how to correct a skid and how to control the car properly in the snow.
the mentality of todays youth though, he was most upset we used his K reg fiesta and not my 08 meganne :laughing:

No biggusdickusgb, you were looning around in the snow, that the lad picked up a few tips is just an excuse :wink: would’ve been more fun in a rear wheel drive though :laughing:

been driving 30years now and if you want to know what it was like to drive in snow then go have a look in canada
back in the early 80’s there were 8 of us coming up the M2 everyone was sat in lane 1 I gave my 2nd man a shout on the radio that i was going lane 2 virgin snow , he followed but sat just out my tracks the others did the same funny that as soon as we did it everyone started using lanes 1 and 2 result both lanes of the M2 OPEN
oh yeah we all had reels on end 24ton on the load maxed out at 38t that was the top weight then all sheeted and roped driving an old ERF s reg and that was xex 567 S yes an old motor

The problem is people dont know how to drive in snow they are told its hard and dangerous it is ,If you dont know what your doing.
people forget that if they use there breaks they dont stop they slide/ SKID

Strange, isn’t it ? so many experts on snow driving. Some say you can go flat out, some say not. I am just going to say you drive according to the conditions, which change as you make progress, so there are no set rules. But remember, who are you going to blame when it goes all wrong and you slide off into the scenery or cause someone else to ?

DAFMAD:
Strange, isn’t it ? so many experts on snow driving. Some say you can go flat out, some say not. I am just going to say you drive according to the conditions, which change as you make progress,

I agree with that entirely. There will always be those who want to brag to their pals down the pub about how fast they could go on sheet ice, in some vain attempt to acquire a pair of brass gonads but when all is said and done, most of us just want to get home to our family safely.

Before anybody throws their toys, or grill mascots, out of the pram, the above comment is not aimed at anybody on this site, it is merely a general observation :slight_smile:

DABenji:
Excuse this rant but its really p****d me off today/

Why are there some drivers out there that no matter what the conditions they have to be going flat out? take this morning for instance i started out in swindon truck stop at 3am headed off down the m4 towards london, anyone out at that time would have seen the state on the roads, but even with the treacherous conditions there were still some so called professional drivers who decided that the between 35 and 40 that i was doing due to lack of visibility and grip was way to slow for them, barging they’re way past everyone throwing snow and sludge up into everyones windows just to gain a few extra minutes.

So to all those glorified wheel attendants i say “Have a bit of sense for all our sakes, we are supposed to be highly trained and sensible but you small minority are giving the rest of us a bad name”

Oh god - here we go!

:unamused: :unamused:

nick2008:
been driving 30years now and if you want to know what it was like to drive in snow then go have a look in canada
back in the early 80’s there were 8 of us coming up the M2 everyone was sat in lane 1 I gave my 2nd man a shout on the radio that i was going lane 2 virgin snow , he followed but sat just out my tracks the others did the same funny that as soon as we did it everyone started using lanes 1 and 2 result both lanes of the M2 OPEN
oh yeah we all had reels on end 24ton on the load maxed out at 38t that was the top weight then all sheeted and roped driving an old ERF s reg and that was xex 567 S yes an old motor

The problem is people dont know how to drive in snow they are told its hard and dangerous it is ,If you dont know what your doing.
people forget that if they use there breaks they dont stop they slide/ SKID

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now that’s what you call a REAL truck driver. They don’t make em’ like they did in the 80’s!

:laughing: :laughing:

there was a lot of folks struggling yesterday who didnt know how to drive in the snow, never trained, never have driven in snow.
which is why ballsing down the m1 on the limiter frightening the poor zb to death is stupid, snow doesnt bother me but i used my head and drifted along with the flow of the traffic.
my girls not long passed her test and has never really drove in snow so would be very nervous[ we all have to learn] , and a truck ballsing past her,spray covering her car so for a minute or so she couldnt see, would frighten, panic her i quess.
its doesnt matter whether your a GOD behind the wheel or not, have a thought for the young girl, lad, wife or mum who maybe struggling a bit

newmercman:
No biggusdickusgb, you were looning around in the snow, that the lad picked up a few tips is just an excuse :wink: would’ve been more fun in a rear wheel drive though :laughing:

■■■■ sussed out again :laughing: but when we started he couldn’t even get the car going, we swapped over and i had my fun just to show him
when we left there though he could drive round and round the car park without losing control, he even managed a controlled figure of eight and drove it home no bother.

DAFMAD:
Strange, isn’t it ? so many experts on snow driving. Some say you can go flat out, some say not. I am just going to say you drive according to the conditions, which change as you make progress, so there are no set rules. But remember, who are you going to blame when it goes all wrong and you slide off into the scenery or cause someone else to ?

i agree with you entirely, you drive to your own confidence and ability

ady1:
there was a lot of folks struggling yesterday who didnt know how to drive in the snow, never trained, never have driven in snow.
which is why ballsing down the m1 on the limiter frightening the poor zb to death is stupid, snow doesnt bother me but i used my head and drifted along with the flow of the traffic.
my girls not long passed her test and has never really drove in snow so would be very nervous[ we all have to learn] , and a truck ballsing past her,spray covering her car so for a minute or so she couldnt see, would frighten, panic her i quess.
its doesnt matter whether your a GOD behind the wheel or not, have a thought for the young girl, lad, wife or mum who maybe struggling a bit

and there is the downside to it all, while i have sympathy with your girlfriend or any new driver, you can’t expect everything to grind to a halt because they can’t handle the conditions.
it’s not about being a GOD behind the wheel or an arse, but if they are not confident or capable of maintaining a decent speed on an open motorway in snow then by all means sit in the inside lane, but don’t moan at people who are more capable that are going faster.

Would rather someone to overtook me than sit up my arse.

biggusdickusgb:

newmercman:

■■■■ sussed out again :laughing: but when we started he couldn’t even get the car going, we swapped over and i had my fun just to show him
when we left there though he could drive round and round the car park without losing control, he even managed a controlled figure of eight and drove it home no bother.

DAFMAD:

i agree with you entirely, you drive to your own confidence and ability

ady1:

and there is the downside to it all, while i have sympathy with your girlfriend or any new driver, you can’t expect everything to grind to a halt because they can’t handle the conditions.
it’s not about being a GOD behind the wheel or an arse, but if they are not confident or capable of maintaining a decent speed on an open motorway in snow then by all means sit in the inside lane, but don’t moan at people who are more capable that are going faster.

grind to a halt doing 40 instead of 56 for a day or two, i dont think so, at the moment most places just want a delivery , none ive delivered to have said a word to me about being late.
is your load really that urgent or is it just flat to the floor board 24/7 whatever, dont bother answering i already know the answer :unamused:

ady1:
is your load really that urgent or is it just flat to the floor board 24/7 whatever, dont bother answering i already know the answer :unamused:

a dissapointing response from you, you’re normally a bit more constructive.
just why would i want to sit behind slower traffic when i can perfectly safely go faster
just using your figures, with just 2 hours driving that could put me 32 mile in front of you.
not likely i know but at a decent tip just off the motorway i could be tipped and pulling back on the motorway at the side of you going to my next job.

ady1:

This is exactly what i was getting at, it does not bother me if your going flat out or not but my concern was for other road users mearly making comment to the lack of consideration others show.

And as for my confidence as that seams to have been called into question by some members, for starters I doubt any of you have witnessed my driving ability which if I may say is by no means perfect as no ones is, but I drive according to the conditions of the road, if the road is clear I will put my foot down a bit more, if theres a tractor sitting infront of me I will either wait until the tractor turns off if it is unsafe to pass or overtake giving plenty of room when pulling back in simple common sense stuff really. Maybe your ability remarks should be aimed at drivers who cannot reverse to save their lives, sit on peoples bumpers bullying them about, discourteous to other drivers not at someone who so far has not been involved in/caused an accident, always trys to be courteous and helpful to other drivers. Like I said I am by no means perfect but a damm sight more able than some so called professional drivers.

biggusdickusgb:
do you mean the guy in his car that ran into the back of a parked lorry,
i fail to see whats that got to do with me doing 55 in the middle lane of a motorway

Yeah, probably not my best analogy !!! Although in the last three months there must have been 100’s of jacknifed lorrys who all thought they where ok too. Unless i’m mistaken and ailens landed and got in the trucks and jack knifed them, then they where all driven by drivers who ‘thought’ they where ok. Laws of physics dictate what happens when a 30 odd ton trailer pushes a 7 ton unit thats trying to stop on a slippery surface. But of course you’ll already know this and instructed this type of stuff to your lad on your snow driving excercise :smiley:
Can’t wait till you get out the carpark with him and ‘go live’, surrounded by traffic, road furniture and pedestrians !! :smiley:

Driving on snow is all down to one thing EXPERIENCE what really grates me about this site is there is always one expert who is not happy with something they have seen during the course of thier working day,