Professional Drivers

Excuse this rant but its really p****d me off today/

Why are there some drivers out there that no matter what the conditions they have to be going flat out? take this morning for instance i started out in swindon truck stop at 3am headed off down the m4 towards london, anyone out at that time would have seen the state on the roads, but even with the treacherous conditions there were still some so called professional drivers who decided that the between 35 and 40 that i was doing due to lack of visibility and grip was way to slow for them, barging they’re way past everyone throwing snow and sludge up into everyones windows just to gain a few extra minutes.

So to all those glorified wheel attendants i say “Have a bit of sense for all our sakes, we are supposed to be highly trained and sensible but you small minority are giving the rest of us a bad name”

did they have an accident once in front of you?

not that I know of but they may have pulled off the motorway

biggusdickusgb:
did they have an accident once in front of you?

sounds like one waiting to happen

it just beggars belief how someone at the wheel of somthing that deadly can be so ignorant to the road conditions and show no thought for other drivers

I got loads of abuse for passing a fellow driver this morning he was inside lane doing 20mph i passed in middle lane at just under 40 there was nothing in front of me i wasn’t driving dangerously IMO at all but as it got busier he passed me :confused:

When i pulled back in they were cars and vans doing 60+ which was a bit worrying :open_mouth:

he obviously felt safer at 20 but should have been in the outside lane but then i wasnt in your position so cant comment on the conditions

had a wonderfull 8hrs sitting on the A14 today came to a halt at junction 2 at 520am and finaly got reversed up at 130pm several motors jack knifed in the big dipper between 1 and 2 finaly got to Gloucester at 4pm after leaving Norfolk at 3am!!!

i caught the tail of that heading for desborough all the a14 traffic routed through the village at jcn 4 lol residents werent happy.

please explain whats so deadly about travelling at 50 to 55mph on a straight bit of motorway in a bit of snow.
35 to 40mph on a motorway i’m not surprised you had people overtaking you
read all the other posts about why britain comes to a halt when it snows, universal opinion seems to be people drive too slow in the snow
now you’re having a go at some who have the confidence and know how to drive in it

so you see it safe to drive at 55 on a motorway that has not been ploughed so you cannot see the road markings heading into the falling snow reducing your visiblity to a few feet infront of the cab, i certainly dont, and as for my driving skills i have driven on ice and snow many times without a problem,

So you cannot overtake in the snow anymore, incase you throw up snow and slush over another vehicles windows :unamused:
Last time i was on it,the M4 E/B from J15 was 3 lanes and i dare say traffic was playing follow the leader
using one.
Why have people got a problem with driving on fresh snow ? . the more vehicles that drive on it , the quicker it clears ffs

I drove my 18 tonner up the 2nd lane of a dual carriageway today, that was covered in snow at about 45 mph. Overtaking all the morons doing 10 mph as there was a bit of snow on the road…

I seriously dont know what the problem is with this country, but a bit of white stuff and people go crazy and think the end of the world has come.

Look at Canada for example. Look at their roads in winter. Do they Grit them ? No. People just get on with it and there isnt a problem. Too bad people here are too stupid to adapt to winter driving.

DABenji:
so you see it safe to drive at 55 on a motorway that has not been ploughed so you cannot see the road markings heading into the falling snow reducing your visiblity to a few feet infront of the cab, i certainly dont, and as for my driving skills i have driven on ice and snow many times without a problem,

i’m not doubting your driving skills, but yes i do think its safe to drive on snow at 55, i can guage the width of a lane and as long as the lane is clear i’ll go for it.
you may have driven on snow and ice many times, so have i and ice i’ll treat with more respect, but i’ve never had a problem with snow
you go at 35 to 40 by all means but dont moan at people who are a bit more confident on it

its not the overtaking thats the problem but its the dangerous manner inwhich it was done, driving on fresh snow is fine but when that snow becomes compacted it offers the same grip as ice. what would you rather be travelling along at a steady speed and reach your destination or have some a**e overtake at speeds not fit for the conditions lose control and take you out in the process, I know what i would choose,

I think i have been misunderstood here, i was travelling at a speed that would have enabled me to react and stop if the need arised fair enough doing 10mph is a little extreme but im talking about people driving way to fast for the conditions of the road, as rog said an accident waiting to happen as you cannot tell me that all those drivers (most of whom were store drivers, not that i am taring all with the same brush just stating a fact) have extensive experience driving on ice and snow.

BigJon:
Too bad people here are too stupid to adapt to winter driving.

Or they have never been taught to how to drive in snow !!

I have just taught 3 of my neighbours - 1 male & 2 female how to - they had no idea what the pitfalls were and would not drive in it as they did not know how to - how do you propose we address the issue :question:

This is why so many out there are driving over-cautiously - they do not know how to drive in this

probably because of your choice of language, why is someone an arse because they have more confidence on snow than you.
i’ll go back to my original question, did you come across any of the lorries that overtook you that had been in an accident farther down the road.
i think the answer to that is no because you would have mentioned it in your original post
maybe the conditions weren’t as bad as you personally thought

confidence! ha I am confident behind the wheel but I also show a little respect to the vehicle as it can kill, and most of the times it has been down to speed. theres a differance between confident and over confident.

all I am saying is if someone wants to go rolling themselves down an embankment then thats up to them but dont take me with you as I would like to get home at the end of the week.

ROG:

BigJon:
Too bad people here are too stupid to adapt to winter driving.

Or they have never been taught to how to drive in snow !!

I have just taught 3 of my neighbours - 1 male & 2 female how to - they had no idea what the pitfalls were and would not drive in it as they did not know how to - how do you propose we address the issue :question:

This is why so many out there are driving over-cautiously - they do not know how to drive in this

i too have been doing this with my girlfriends son seeing as we’ve had 6" of snow today, he’s only had his license for 10 months so i took him on the empty car park at our local shops and showed him what causes a skid, then taught him how to correct a skid and how to control the car properly in the snow.
the mentality of todays youth though, he was most upset we used his K reg fiesta and not my 08 meganne :laughing:

DABenji:
it just beggars belief how someone at the wheel of somthing that deadly can be so ignorant to the road conditions and show no thought for other drivers

Well, let’s face it, the vast majority of lorry drivers are brain-dead morons.