"Professional driver"

Why do truck drivers keep referring to themselves as “professional drivers”?.
Ive tried to find the answer to this but I’m stumped. We’re professional in the sense we get paid for it but then so does the guy driving the ice cream van.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Because you need a qualification to do so…
Drive a hgv that is.

Tbh I’d like to see all these posts you are referring to where people are calling themselves professional driver as everyone knows you are only a professional when you’ve done something wrong.

I don’t refer to myself as professional, I’m [zb] ■■■■ at it.

xichrisxi:
Drive a hgv that is.

Tbh I’d like to see all these posts you are referring to where people are calling themselves professional driver as everyone knows you are only a professional when you’ve done something wrong.

I couldn’t spend all day sending links here. Other things to do.
Just because you have a qualification doesn’t make you a professional.

What you will find is that when you are in trouble with the Traffic Commissioner you will be told that you have failed to uphold the standards of a professional driver.

But your official socio-economic status is ‘unskilled manual worker’, and no different to that of a van driver or assembly-line worker.

EddieMD:

xichrisxi:
Drive a hgv that is.

I couldn’t spend all day sending links here. Other things to do.
Just because you have a qualification doesn’t make you a professional.

Ok,I’ll leave you to argue with yourself all day.
Maybe if “haven’t got all day…” you should of not asked the question.

As you were…

EddieMD:
Ive tried to find the answer to this but I’m stumped. We’re professional in the sense we get paid for it but then so does the guy driving the ice cream van.

You’re a ‘professional’ in the sense that you do it as your job…or profession.
How much professional ISM you display in that job (or not) determines whether you are a good professional driver or a useless ■■■■! :bulb:
Hope that explains it. :neutral_face:
I consider myself a pro driver, you don’t so job sorted. :sunglasses:

We have to pass an exam
We hold a professional qualification
We are treated differently from non-professional drivers
We are subject to harsher penalties for transgressions

Optimum:
We have to pass an exam

Ha ha, nice to see a bit of humour. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rentadent:
I don’t refer to myself as professional, I’m [zb] [zb] at it.

Unfortunately you are not the only one. :laughing:

jakethesnake:

Optimum:
We have to pass an exam

How so?..why is that funny.

Pass an exam…Class1 HGV test.

Pro qualification…DCPC…ok I’ll give you that one :laughing:

Treated differently…definiteltly in a court of law if something goes ■■■■ up that is driving related.

Harsher penalties…as above.

robroy:

jakethesnake:

Optimum:
We have to pass an exam

How so?..why is that funny.

Pass an exam…Class1 HGV test.

Pro qualification…DCPC…ok I’ll give you that one :laughing:

Treated differently…definiteltly in a court of law if something goes ■■■■ up that is driving related.

Harsher penalties…as above.

Yeah ok, but really I would not call passing a class one an exam, more of a test and an easy one that needs badly updating to get rid of the crap drivers.

Court, rarely harsh enough in my opinion.

Harsher penalties, as above and we need more police to catch the offenders.

Rant over.

EddieMD:

Big Stirring Spoon.jpg

EddieMD:
We’re professional in the sense we get paid for it but then so does the guy driving the ice cream van.

Driving the ice cream van is secondary to the selling of ice creams therefore he’s a professional ice cream vendor who uses a van to carry out his job.

In the eyes of our wonderful government we are all un-skilled labour.

In the eyes of the licensing authorities and traffic commissioners we are all vocational licence holders.

In the eyes of both the above and the courts, we’re professional drivers only when we ■■■■ up.

It’s more of a mindset. Compared with all the non-HGV drivers I know, I’m by far the better driver because through years of daily driving, and far too many miles behond me, I’m more attuned to seeing hazards before they materialise, lane discipline, vehicle sympathy, speed limits, and so on. I HATE being in the car with any of my mates or relatives. They’re straight out into the middle lane where they hog it, they still hammer along in thick fog, they drive too close to vehicles in front, etc etc. No appreciation for hazards or other stupid drivers, because they only do a few miles compared with me. The number of times I’ve been with a friend and I’m thinking “I’d be easing off the gas about now” and I’m pushing the imaginary brake pedal… it’s worrying. And then they wonder why they have a near miss, and automatically blame the other party. A professional driver would be pro-active and drive primarily to avoid accidents, which I believe a reasonable number of HGV drivers do. Add to that somebody who is also mindful of the type of load they’re carrying, and never gets complacent about what 44 tons of metal travelling at 56mph actually means in terms of physics, and consequences, and all that adds up to somebody who is professionally minded about what they do.

It’s the new breed of idiot licence holder who never put their phone down, struggle to get on and off bays in a light dusting of snow, and do not appreciate the potential danger of what they’re doing that are not professionally minded.

robroy:
You’re a ‘professional’ in the sense that you do it as your job…or profession.

Exactly this and nothing else, you are classed as a professional driver because you are paid to do so, i.e. as Rob said it is your profession, the same as a taxi driver and a transit van parcel driver are classed as professional drivers, sorry to shatter your ideas of grandeur but just because your sweaty arse is sat in an LGV driving seat all day doesn’t elevate your status whatsoever…

xichrisxi:
Drive a hgv that is.

+1

Well STFU you are a professional affording to the diffenation presented by THE MOTHER ■■■■■■■ DICTONEROWUHGKG

en.oxforddictionaries.com/defin … ofessional

1. Engaged in a specified activity as one’s main paid occupation rather than as an amateur.

xichrisxi:
Drive a hgv that is.

Doesn’t class you as professional. Professional in the true sense of the word is a job that requires you to be a member of a body in order to do your job as well as having a qualification. Doctors, solicitors and chartered engineers are examples of professionals.

What we have are vocational licenses, what we have is a vocational qualification and we’re vocational drivers.

Saying we’re professional is what people who don’t know the definition of the word and is done by the type of people who call anyone who wields tools and repairs mechanical or electronic devices an engineer.