"Professional driver"

Optimum:
We have to pass an exam

No we don’t. We have to pass a driving test to drive the class of vehicle exactly the same as someone who doesn’t drive a lorry for a living but wants to drive say a large horse box.

We hold a professional qualification

No we don’t. What degree do you have in truck driving? Can you tell me what trade body you’re a member of which you have to be member of in order to be able to do the job and without being in that body you can’t be employed as is the case with Doctors (GMC), Nurses (RCN) and Lawyers (Law Society)?

There’s no way in hell that the DCPC could even be remotely considered a valid qualification given that there is no exam and you’re awarded it merely for turning up. Every trade related exam I’ve had to do for the certification has had a minimum pass mark of 85% which would bugger up most truck drivers if the DCPC had a test at the end of your 35hrs.

Quite clearly you don’t understand what the proper definition of professional is.

Could ask whoever named this the professional drivers forum :stuck_out_tongue:

the maoster:

EddieMD:
We’re professional in the sense we get paid for it but then so does the guy driving the ice cream van.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Driving the ice cream van is secondary to the selling of ice creams therefore he’s a professional ice cream vendor who uses a van to carry out his job.

Also ice cream sellers are smarter than us.

They get paid in cash…

Conor:

Optimum:
We have to pass an exam

No we don’t. We have to pass a driving test to drive the class of vehicle exactly the same as someone who doesn’t drive a lorry for a living but wants to drive say a large horse box.

No we don’t. What degree do you have in truck driving? Can you tell me what trade body you’re a member of which you have to be member of in order to be able to do the job and without being in that body you can’t be employed as is the case with Doctors (GMC), Nurses (RCN) and Lawyers (Law Society)?

There’s no way in hell that the DCPC could even be remotely considered a valid qualification given that there is no exam and you’re awarded it merely for turning up. Every trade related exam I’ve had to do for the certification has had a minimum pass mark of 85% which would bugger up most truck drivers if the DCPC had a test at the end of your 35hrs.

Quite clearly you don’t understand what the proper definition of professional is.

What do you class your self as then a scud book or just a fud.Or do you take a bit of pride in the job and act like a professional driver.

xichrisxi:
Because you need a qualification to do so…
Drive a hgv that is.

Tbh I’d like to see all these posts you are referring to where people are calling themselves professional driver as everyone knows you are only a professional when you’ve done something wrong.

as the police and judges like to point out when you do something wrong,they love to lecture you

Colin_scottish:

Conor:

Optimum:
We have to pass an exam

What do you class your self as then a scud book or just a fud.Or do you take a bit of pride in the job and act like a professional driver.

It doesn’t matter what you or anyone else “class yourself as” it has already been explained that we are not professional in the sense that we are better qualified or of higher standing, we are professional as in we are in a paid profession that is focused upon driving, therefore we are professional drivers.

You are now asking about professionalism which is a different vessel altogether, professionalism is a state of mind, a set of values that you hold yourself too or are held too by others, and at times yes I’m the utmost professional and acting in accordance with those values, other times I’m a complete numpty and do something daft, but I’d like to think (or hope) that I’m overall tipping the scale toward professionalism.

EddieMD:
Why do truck drivers keep referring to themselves as “professional drivers”?.
Ive tried to find the answer to this but I’m stumped. We’re professional in the sense we get paid for it but then so does the guy driving the ice cream van.

ice cream vans dont get fined

robroy:

EddieMD:
Why do truck drivers keep referring to themselves as “professional drivers”?.
Ive tried to find the answer to this but I’m stumped. We’re professional in the sense we get paid for it but then so does the guy driving the ice cream van.

You’re a ‘professional’ in the sense that you do it as your job…or profession.
How much professional ISM you display in that job (or not) determines whether you are a good professional driver or a useless [zb]! :bulb:
Hope that explains it. :neutral_face:
I consider myself a pro driver, you don’t so job sorted. :sunglasses:

Another one who is that good he will have his own fleet soon, but then again he will come back im on £200.00 aday

Conor:

xichrisxi:
Drive a hgv that is.

Doesn’t class you as professional. Professional in the true sense of the word is a job that requires you to be a member of a body in order to do your job as well as having a qualification.

According to the English dictionary there are several definitions of the word Professional,
Including, but not exclusively, the one you’ve given,

Other definitions include

Paid to do a particular activity
Or
To be particularly skilled or competent at a job.

No mention in those definitions of requiring membership of professional bodies or having a certain level of qualification.
And also no mention of what to call somebody who continually posts condescending replies on a forum as they feel they are superior to the others there, even though they are employed in the same profession, despite thier claimed high level of academic qualifications.

Some people call themselves Professional dog walkers, I was paid recently to mind and walk a neighbours dog. As there were no travel to work expenses it paid better than driving.

xichrisxi:
Drive a hgv that is.

Tbh I’d like to see all these posts you are referring to where people are calling themselves professional driver as everyone knows you are only a professional when you’ve done something wrong.

To be fair, its an upgraded licence, no different to a motorcycle etc … hardly a qualification. A driving licence, merely states that you demonstrated you were able to meet or exceed the standards required to have a licence issued.

I`m a pro…lots of experience in all aspects of the transport industry…and all the paperwork to go with it…but never took a test…hows about that…

Colin_scottish:
What do you class your self as then a scud book or just a fud.

A vocational driver.

Or do you take a bit of pride in the job and act like a professional driver.

I act in a professional manner, using the word professional as a statement as to how I conduct myself.