Professional driver

seth 70:
Ex sandy kidd motor…was probably bending the needle so unable to stop at the junction :wink:

Which 1? Ther 3 ex sandy kydds motors on the timber.

It still bugs you Mr snowman? Christ you really don’t get out much do you.
As for the original video, I’m guessing he never saw the car coming, but it’s no excuse. I think that’s the junction coming out of Invergordon? If so it’s a fast stretch of road.
Again no defence but could the sun possibly have been behind the car and it maybe didn’t have any lights on?
I notice the rigid following the car never stopped either!

Scarey but I would say he was looking up the road and saw nothing. The poor bugger was prob in his blind spot I dont think a driver would intentionally do that even among todays mad barstewards

This kind of incident ( pulling out on someone ) happens thousands of time a day on r/o ,road junctions etc ,the simple fact is we’d sit there all day if we waited for that perfect gap

• dozy:

This kind of incident ( pulling out on someone ) happens thousands of time a day on r/o ,road junctions etc ,the simple fact is we’d sit there all day if we waited for that perfect gap

Not being funny but that section of the A9 from Inverness to Thurso must be the less car populated stretch of road in the whole of the UK. You’d be waiting probably no more than a minuite untill you had a perfect gap to pull out of. It’s not like he’s sat waiting to pull out of a side road say onto the A38 or A5.
Plus to those who say about the blind spots mirrors can cause I agree. The ones on the old mercs are terrible but looking at the vid he’s setting off from the junction quite a bit from the give way so I’m sure he would’ve noticed the car there unless as others have said that glare from the sun could play a factor. If that’s the case you don’t just pull out and hope nothing’s coming.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

1. dozy:

Not being funny but that section of the A9 from Inverness to Thurso must be the less car populated stretch of road in the whole of the UK. You’d be waiting probably no more than a minuite untill you had a perfect gap to pull out of. It’s not like he’s sat waiting to pull out of a side road say onto the A38 or A5.
Plus to those who say about the blind spots mirrors can cause I agree. The ones on the old mercs are terrible but looking at the vid he’s setting off from the junction quite a bit from the give way so I’m sure he would’ve noticed the car there unless as others have said that glare from the sun could play a factor. If that’s the case you don’t just pull out and hope nothing’s coming.
[/quote]
if you load the Google map and forward to the junction there’s a Massive Directional sign for the staggered junction its well big enough to cause a blind spot where car and sign come to match… Look at what you can loose in the blind spot on a door pillar in a car…

dozy:

But there’s a difference between pulling out into the biggest gap you can find at a junction so the approaching traffic has to slow behind you and going straight out of the junction at speed forcing approaching traffic to take sudden evasive action.
If the car driver was complaining that he had had to loose 20mph to slot in behind the truck I would agree that it would be a non-incident - and I’ve had people making gestures/flashing lights because they had to ease off a bit even though they were a quarter of a mile away when I’ve pulled out - but the timber wagon driver was approaching the junction like he had no intention of giving way to anything and pulled out when the car was a few yards away.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

The A9 through Easter Ross is actually busier than most of the road south of Inverness as there is more local traffic here. You should see how long buses can be waiting to turn right out of Evanton. Traffic levels drop considerably north of Tain, though.

dozy:

So in your opinion the truck driver did nothing wrong?

and another quote from a different thread :-

‘‘I wouldn’t of hung around ,I’d of just rang it into incident support and got on with my delivery ,that what there for ,too sort these kind of incidents ,then filled the revelant paper work out why I got back too the yard .
It’s a very simple system ,the numbers on the cab phone ,saves all this hanging around when you’ve had a bang ,obviously he’s not taken on board what’s been said on reporting accidents,communication breakdown I guess’’

:open_mouth: Let me know when you’re up in my neck of the woods and I’ll make a point of staying in bed …

Is dozy thick, retarded or a troll?

Maybe the user name says it all ■■ :slight_smile:

Absolutely true lorries can have big blindspots caused by the mirrors. Nothing much you can do about the design,but knowing you are driving around with these blindspots,how about leaning back and forward a bit to increase your field of vision ?
Took the wife on one of my runs once,she said it was like sitting beside one of them nodding dogs people used to have on the parcel shelf every time we came to a roundabout or junction.
Regards. John.

Well on the bright side the harsh braking cleared the snow off his roof saving him £60 fine and three points :smiley:

Can it really be blamed on a blind spot, i know what you mean about blind spots when your sitting stationary, or in slow moving traffic and someone is along side you. But driving along approaching a t-junction your moving so any vehicles should come into your vision, unless you decide to just pull out onto a high speed trunk road and have only give it a slight glance.

As Glen says that part of the A9 is not as quiet as you think steady stream of traffic in daylight hours, plus people don’t tend to hang about on it either, i deliver in Invergordon and Thurso quite a bit.

nick2008:

Carryfast:
Probably predictable considering the road layout.IE non existent give way lines which have worn away on the approach and a give way sign that’s right on top of the junction.From a distance it looks like a sweeping right hand bend. :unamused:

google.com/maps/@57.708105,- … um1xIA!2e0

Meanwhile in a more sensible part of the country and more or less how it should be marked out.

google.com/maps/@51.014387,- … XwR-Vg!2e0

:open_mouth: A sign that denotes side road( the road the trucks is on) Joining a main carriageway left turn Inverness and right to Thurso
Followed by a GIVE WAY sign on BOTH sides of the road .
Na
the only thing blocking the trucks vie is the stack of directional signs at that junction for traffic on the A9 turning right for scotsburn / Arcross etc
Council’s tend to stack too many signs causing blind spots …

Maybe there should be a STOP sign rather than a give way sign…
Looking over all on the map the driver more than likely came in on the same road delivering to Balcas Timber

Firstly in a country that has joke speed limits to supposedly cater for ’ the lowest common denominator ’ of driver the shortcomings in that road layout,in terms of advanced give way warning and clear give way road markings at the junction,are obvious.Especially when compared with the example locally which I’ve posted.Leading to the predictable type of scenario in this case of a driver who has approached a give way situation at a non give way type of speed.In this case it’s not an issue of give way or stop sign it is all about sufficient advanced warning of either and clear road markings to denote the junction on arrival.

The obvious Scottish answer to that being lets rely on a road direction sign to supposedly guarantee advanced warning of and compliance with a give way/stop situation ahead. :unamused:

Which obviously our local councils ( luckily ) don’t agree with.

I very greatly doubt that the truck driver had never been on that road or in that area before, and it’s quite easy to see there’s a main road ahead of him, so how on earth can his horrendous actions be put down to bad sign-age, blind spot or anything else for that matter. Stupid move on his part, end of !

raymundo:
I very greatly doubt that the truck driver had never been on that road or in that area before, and it’s quite easy to see there’s a main road ahead of him, so how on earth can his horrendous actions be put down to bad sign-age,. Stupid move on his part, end of !

Feel free to provide a better explanation for the suicidal approach to a give way/stop point which he supposedly knew was ahead…

Which leaves the obvious question as to why our local councils don’t see it the Scottish way.IE I don’t think they’ll be changing the layout of the similar junction which I posted any time soon by moving the give way signage up to the junction and wiping out all the junction markings, :unamused:

Carryfast:

raymundo:
I very greatly doubt that the truck driver had never been on that road or in that area before, and it’s quite easy to see there’s a main road ahead of him, so how on earth can his horrendous actions be put down to bad sign-age,. Stupid move on his part, end of !

Feel free to provide a better explanation for the suicidal approach to a give way/stop point which he supposedly knew was ahead…

Suicidal approach was down to being in a hurry, and having a very quick glance rather than looking which is suicidal going onto a fast trunk road where the speeds can vary from 40-80mph quite easily. I use this junction a fair bit never once thought jeeze where did that junction come from its a straight road can see the give way sign from a far distance, its not like going over the brow of a hill and bang junction.

All the road markings and high friction surfaces at that junction have been renewed within the last couple of years, there are no issues with visibility of them.

Advance warnings of give ways are only used where there are visibility issues, like the junction being after a bend, or other reasons where traffic may fail to notice, like a straight crossroads.
The layout and signing on the approach to the junction from Invergordon is perfectly adequate, the direction sign makes it clear you are approaching a T junction which you have to give way at. It is a straight road leading to a main road at 90 degrees, there are no acute angles or bends which might mislead you to thinking otherwise.

The layout of the junction is poor for traffic turning right off the A9 - the left-right stagger (rather than the preferred right-left arrangement) means the right turn lanes are hopelessly short for the number of vehicles turning right into Invergordon - but that had no bearing on the route the timber lorry was taking from the side road onto the A9.

I’m sure the driver of that lorry knew perfectly well he was approaching a give way line and had probably driven that road many times before. I can only assume he was in a rush and not looking properly, maybe too concentrated on trying to get out before the car approaching from his right that he didn’t look properly to the left.

Carryfast:

raymundo:

Eh ■■ (perhaps he’s recently moved up to Scotland from Surrey and yet another who thinks he’s better and knows more than everyone else :slight_smile: )

Night-and-day:
Well on the bright side the harsh braking cleared the snow off his roof saving him £60 fine and three points :smiley:

Lol and a nice clean windscreen :sunglasses: Was scary though :open_mouth: :open_mouth: