Problems with current employer

Hi my employer put me through my class 2 in august 2008 they said i had to stay 2 yrs otherwise i have to pay them back but i never signed anything, i was just wondering if anybody new where i stand if i wanted to leave ?

cheers liam

as far as im aware as long as u have not signed anything on paper as to confirm this

then the company has no legal leg to stand on if u did leave

and if they tried to deduct any money from your wages then they could be in big trouble

you have been there long enough after he paid for you, and also you never signed anything,if your gonna leave tho he might keep ur week in hand to be funny, tho :laughing:

budgie69:
Hi my employer put me through my class 2 in august 2008 they said i had to stay 2 yrs otherwise i have to pay them back but i never signed anything, i was just wondering if anybody new where i stand if i wanted to leave ?

cheers liam

Could I ask why you want to leave ?

Unless there’s a good and legitimate reason for leaving I would expect to stick to the agreement made when they paid for the training, though I realise some people will take the attitude that you’ve got what you want so to hell with it.

Its a big national company so they mite not be bothered to much seen as i have nearly done the 2 years

i think in law a verbal contract is just as binding as a written one. leave if you want put they may take you to the small claims court in which case it’ll cost you in legal fees. i’d stay until august then tell him where to shove it.

I work for network rail and has you can see in the news they arent the best company to work for so i want to move on to a better company

Most of these agreements are not worth the paper they are printed on, however, assume that this is legally binding, then your employer could only claim a percentage for the remainder of the contract, not full the full amount, as he has had a substantial amount of benefit from the agreement.

I would imagine that Network Rail have given you a T&Cs of employment and/or a Company handbook.
The answer to your query would/should be in there. So while you have a verbal agreement it may
well be backed up in those docs.

its not in my t&cs because i already worked there 2 yrs before they put me through my class 2

Knew someone who got their PCV licence with a big bus operator, and where told same thing couldnt leave within a stated period or they would be responsable for the training costs.

They looked into it and found out the government had given the company grants to train new drivers, so was the government paying not the company and told them where to go and left. This was about six or seven years ago.

budgie69:

cheers liam

just leave when you passed your hgv test no agreement/contract has been made

Yeah ■■■■ 'em, just leave and maybe ■■■■■■■■ it all up for someone else that wants putting through for their hgv. They told you they wanted you to stay for two years if they helped you out, so why not stay at least till august… you obviously agreed to it.

well this is why employers don’t treat employees in a decent manner.
they helped this guy out, but some of you think he should just walk away. :unamused:

if a company helped me out, then i would have a sense of loyalty.

but i have british values.

budgie69:
its not in my t&cs because i already worked there 2 yrs before they put me through my class 2

Obviously I haven’t seen your ts and cs, but at our place there is a standard one for the drivers that requires staying for x amount of time after training or paying back on a sliding scale. As i said it’s there for all drivers wether they do training or not of any type; I’d be suprised if a company as big as Network Rail haven’t got a clause in there somewhere.

Having said that, if it was close to the time when period for paying a refund we wouldn’t bother, particularly if you’d been a good driver. Sometimes we get a driver wanting to leave, but most of them want to come back so we don’t fall out with the good ones. Simples!

And people wonder why not so many companies will not pay for a driver to obtain their licence these days? :unamused: :unamused:

Peterm, and Phil. (plus neil, which I spotted after posting) :wink: :wink: :wink: Too bloody right fellers. I am 100% in agreement with those -(now 3)- posts. There,s too much of the old “honi soit qui mal y asbestos”, (rough translation–" phack you Jack, I,m fireproof)" attitude nowadays. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: We all know that some companies do not treat their employees fairly. Some never have. But in this case, and in the current economic climate. a bit of loyalty should not be too much for this company to expect. Agreements, whether in writing or verbally between two parties, should be stuck to.

budgie69:
I work for network rail and has you can see in the news they arent the best company to work for so i want to move on to a better company

you werent driving a network rail truck in london couple months back were you :question: :wink:

i was put through my class by the firm i was with and they didnt put a time limit on how long too stay but i stayed 3 years as i appreciated what the firm did for me.
i agree with what phil and coffee and buycrider say aswell.

my company put me though my class 12 and and i had to sign an agreement to stay for 2 years or id have to pay it all back 3 years later im still there. had to sign even though thr EU paid for my training all work paid for was the medical and digi card :exclamation:

companies prob dont care what you do after 2 years (but idealy deep down prob want you to stay on) but so long as they get there money worths out of you they dont care…