Problem with a v8 scania

Last month I bought a 2003 scania 164 480 v8 it’s done over 1 million k and it’s started to blow the dipstick out .it only does this when it’s loaded does this mean it needs a rebuild or is the breather system blocked and needs cleaning out

i personally don’t know scania engines, but, i would hazard a guess that it would be the breather that is blocked

Globby480 would be a good one to ask, he likes his V8 scrapias :wink:

It needs a cable tie :wink:

Is it using oil ? Is it breathing ? Could be a piston ring on the way out

Yes, it’s definitely excess crankcase pressure, could be a blocked breather but equally it could be worn piston rings.

First try changing the crank case filters,. they are on top of the engine “black box” there is 2 filters a square one and a smaller round one, to see if that sorts it out dont try to think you will just take the filters out and try it !!! for some reason they dont like it with out filters in there?? can fill with oil and cause major problems, there is a way to do away with these filters and jsut vent the breathers in to the air, few blanking rubbers and some tubes and its back to a normal breather system,
start there first in checking the crank case filters little tip pour 500~700mls of fresh oil down the tube where the filter “square one” goes it makes the filter last a lot longer,
if the filters are new then it could be … o"dear :cry: one last thing just check the o ring round the top of the dip stick aswell make sure there is one there !!! and we go to the enxt stage if all above check goooooooood

Check the rear of the engine for leaks around the timing gear cover…Drop the sump and check the timing gears…they are prone to wearing at around 1.0~1.5 million kms. As they drive the oil pump,when they fail,the results are catastrophic. But,if caught in time,it is a relatively minor repair.

Piston rings!

Bulgar, Bulgar!:
Piston rings!

Isn’t that the name given to the phone call too the ex at 3am after a night on the town?

dew:

Bulgar, Bulgar!:
Piston rings!

Isn’t that the name given to the phone call too the ex at 3am after a night on the town?

I don’t know, I just don’t get the meaning of this. Paraphrase?

Bulgar, Bulgar!:

dew:

Bulgar, Bulgar!:
Piston rings!

■■■■■■ and rings - as in the latenight phonecall to your ex girlfriend / wife/ significant other. " I luve/hate you I do "

Whoooo-hahahahah!!! It’s phonetic based kinda humour. Now I get it! Thank you! Really! [pist’/\n’ringz] These days, after a phone interview with a Brittish recruiter, I realised, that I can’t say, that I speak fluent English anymore. I speak fluent american, 'though. :astonished:
It’s kind’a perverted dialect, from what I can recall, isn’t it?!

As for those V8 issues, I think it’s the same with any kind’a engine. When it “blows” oil, then it goes all around to the air filter, so when a “breather” is blocked, it’s not the reason for this, it just shows that the real problem is that the piston rings are no more. Sometimes it helps usin’ some thicker oil.

Goodluck!

Another one…can’t say much about rotary engines, but you can ask me anything about external combustion engines, it’s scientificly proved, they are invented by bulgarians. The BBQ for example!!! I’m not joking about it.

Another one…John Atanasov invented the comuter, and…YES he was bulgarian, you can check’em out!

dew:

Bulgar, Bulgar!:
Piston rings!

You might want to read this :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86859

Can we keep this thread on topic please.

It’s quite on topic, as I an see(NOW)! Thank You!

Denis F:

dew:

Bulgar, Bulgar!:
Piston rings!

Good god! What price a sense of humour?

beefy4605:

Bulgar, Bulgar!:

dew:

Bulgar, Bulgar!:
Piston rings!

■■■■■■ and rings - as in the latenight phonecall to your ex girlfriend / wife/ significant other. " I luve/hate you I do "

Someone got it, I thought I’d gone to highbrow for a minute :laughing:

Denis F:

dew:

Bulgar, Bulgar!:
Piston rings!

Apologies evil overlord, back to the cave I go…

Didn’t change my engine breather filters when I should have done :blush: :blush: and it blew the dipstick out, got back to yard and replaced them, no problem since so it’s worth a try before you start going any deeper. Does it use any oil ■■ And that’s a good tip off Globby about putting a splash of oil in bottom of breather filter housing :smiley:

globby 480:
First try changing the crank case filters,. they are on top of the engine “black box” there is 2 filters a square one and a smaller round one, to see if that sorts it out dont try to think you will just take the filters out and try it !!! for some reason they dont like it with out filters in there?? can fill with oil and cause major problems, there is a way to do away with these filters and jsut vent the breathers in to the air, few blanking rubbers and some tubes and its back to a normal breather system,
start there first in checking the crank case filters little tip pour 500~700mls of fresh oil down the tube where the filter “square one” goes it makes the filter last a lot longer,
if the filters are new then it could be … o"dear :cry: one last thing just check the o ring round the top of the dip stick aswell make sure there is one there !!! and we go to the enxt stage if all above check goooooooood

anything else , from your exeperience, on things to check / change?

so far breathers / spinners… any other tips / pointer would be most appreciated…

Did you change the filters to see if it cured the problem ■■

Hi all
I have a 164 480 that has just started an oil leak at the rear drivers side of the engine ,it’s quite high up on the opposite side where the compressor fits on , is this the problem riverdance refers to ?
If so how do I fix this problem as riverdance reckons it’s a relatively easy if caught in time ?
Any info would be great thanks .