Probably cant answer this can you

I can earn 5k a year more driving a small rigid on multi drop for a national company than I do now driving an artic on multi drop day work. Been with current employer for 10 years.
I feel underpaid where I am, but I really don’t want to be thrashing my arse off on rigid multidrop 60/70 drops a day.
So the company I work for are desperately short of drivers, they have been advertising for 6 weeks and no response.
I considered calling their bluff and handing my notice in to try and get a rise. If they lose anymore drivers they are in real trouble.

Am I being an ■■■■■■■■, or should I push them for a proper wage due to driver shortage, and believe me there is one here.

I am open to any thoughts or critisicm, just have had enough of having the pee taking out of me.

Scared to leave tbh, but money talks.

Ask for a day off, or late start/early finish. Tell them you’ve got an interview with your local pallet network depot for a rigid job, that should set enough alarm bells to prompt questions why. Then lay it out that you’re not getting your full worth

Two schools of thought here. Some folk go to work to earn as much as possible and don’t care how hard they have to work to get that money. Others will figure that the money ain’t the best but the work is easy. I agree though that feeling that you’re being taken for granted is demoralising, but only you can make the choice whether to stick or twist.

Personally the thought of 80+ drops a day would not float my proverbial, but neither would supermarket work or the same run day in day out. That’s just me though and I would never slag anyone off for doing such work, just not for me thanks.

’ Money talks ’

So does your missus who is fed up with not seeing you.Or you being so tired that you are a PITA.

’ Money talks ’

So does the doctor when he/she tells you that stress and heart attacks kill people.

Your choice pal.

Quality of life, what would improve yours? More money or more free time (not being knackered on your days off)?

Hourly rate is not everything, when I left my last job I had two offers. £12hr rigid multi drop centre of London driving like a ■■■■ on day runs to get back to the yard, or £9.25hr artic bulk tipper work doing maybe 3 drops a day and having one or two nights out a week. I took the artic job and actually I have been making the same money at the end of the month due to having breaks paid, less miles to drive to work and a couple of nights out.

I’m pretty much chilling all day now compared to the previous job where the office were phoning you if you were 7mins behind schedule.

It’s all well and good wanting more money for doing this job, but if they haven’t got the money to give you a wage rise, your just ■■■■■■■ in the wind asking for one, if you don’t believe it when they say they cant afford to pay you more check out there accounts, they are publicly available once submitted to the tax man.
The reason why the money isn’t there, is because hauliers accept ■■■■ poor rates for doing the work!

I earn over 26k class 2 average 4 or 5 drops a day for a 48 hour week plus night out money , that was negotiated after a threat to leave (and I was going to leave) and I have recently been offered another class2 for considerably more but it’s a long commute so some maths have to be worked out.
That said I am happy where I am, so it’s the devil you know or not?
Don’t right off looking at class 2 as not all are multi drop.
I would die doing multi drop :laughing:

You’re scared to leave but claim there’s a driver shortage - if there really is one then surely you’ll find a better paid job soon enough!

The class 2 guys are earning more money but you don’t want to do it because they’re tearing their arses about doing loads of drops - that’s why they deserve what they’re paid!

Personally it’s your choice - work steady and earn enough or work hard and earn more.

That’s why this forum stands out as the best. great answers thanks.

Decided money is not everything, and better the devil you know.

I’m not tear arsing around. In fact, I’m in an hotel in Berlin watching telly having a beer. In fact…I’ll be here all week, and getting paid reasonably well. ( Boss is on here!) :wink:

Snarley:
That’s why this forum stands out as the best. great answers thanks.

Decided money is not everything, and better the devil you know.

I agree with this.
My current job isn’t the best and by no means the worst paid but they are quite a good bunch of guys to work for.
The work is multi drop in an artic (usually 10 on a run) which is do able.
If not they come back and go out the following day.
Days can be long but if the hours creep up we’re stood down as spare.
Had two days off last week :smiley:
Was a hell driver on tippers but this is a walk in the park compared with that :smiley:

Can’t you get together with a couple of others and talk to the boss about why he’s getting no response from his adverts.Wages and rates are on the up ATM and another pound an hour won’t kill him, especially if it means that he can recruit again.

“You are a great boss and we love working here, but XYZ down the road pays £■■ and they have a waiting list.”

Drift:
I earn over 26k class 2 average 4 or 5 drops a day for a 48 hour week plus night out money , that was negotiated after a threat to leave (and I was going to leave) and I have recently been offered another class2 for considerably more but it’s a long commute so some maths have to be worked out.
That said I am happy where I am, so it’s the devil you know or not?
Don’t right off looking at class 2 as not all are multi drop.

Multi-drop means anything more than one. I’m doing multi-drop but the most I’ve ever done in a day is 5 drops, 4 collections and that was only because they were close to each other.

As a coach I hear this every week from drivers who believe or think their worth more. The industry has gone through one of the worst recession in recent history, but the company’s are still there paying their drivers Mortgages,rents,holidays etc… But still they complain!
Until all company’s and Drivers get rid of this negative attitude there will always be a “Them & Us” which will never work. Some might say tell them straight! others say keep it quiet! All I say and believe is “Look at what you have, look at where you are! And if your not happy! Just close the door and go some where that you will be Happy… Life’s doors are controlled by “”“YOU””" so stop by negative and go get what you feel your worth…

Drift:

I almost died putting the airlines on last night (day rate, got back from job early, and they couldn’t find me another job, so I got to toss about in the yard and the shunter let me practise connecting to a trailer).

How the ■■■■ do you do that several times a day?

Crystalcleartraining:
As a coach I hear this every week from drivers who believe or think their worth more. The industry has gone through one of the worst recession in recent history, but the company’s are still there paying their drivers Mortgages,rents,holidays etc… But still they complain!
Until all company’s and Drivers get rid of this negative attitude there will always be a “Them & Us” which will never work. Some might say tell them straight! others say keep it quiet! All I say and believe is “Look at what you have, look at where you are! And if your not happy! Just close the door and go some where that you will be Happy… Life’s doors are controlled by “”“YOU””" so stop by negative and go get what you feel your worth…

You say you are a coach, is that a " life coach " and do you do " motivational speaking " ? , if so you could be a big help to all of us !! :wink: :smiley:
Regards. John.

No, don’t stay where you are, you know you’re worth more.

However, like the others have said, multi drop (and 50 drops is serious stuff) isn’t for everyone yet some thrive on it, i wouldn’t do it no matter how much pay was on offer.

Do the same as you would if you were a newby, but you’re in a much better boat than them, look around at whats about within sensible commuting distance **, then go and knock on some doors with CV in hand at places who never ever advertise.
If there’s somewhere supposed to be dead mans shoes, still go and knock on the door, where i am now is like that but they took me in when i knocked.
Then just hit your boss with a weeks notice, he doesn’t appreciate you or the other lads or you wouldn’t feel like this and don’t tell a soul you’re looking cos someone will tittle tattle.

**if you’re away all week then you can widen your search area.

old 67:

Crystalcleartraining:

You say you are a coach, is that a " life coach " and do you do " motivational speaking " ? , if so you could be a big help to all of us !! :wink: :smiley:
Regards. John.

Good evening all
John, thank you for your question…
i have learnt through life that we all need a gentle push and sometimes this is enough to change our lives, I will never change anyone’s belief or opinion! And would never want to.

As a professional coach I currently train CPC courses as a satellite trainer throughout the country and personal development. Qualifications include international coach, SIA approved instructor, Class 2 instructor, JAUPT approved. My personal developement program is to complete first aid, ADR, O licence, coach…

Training should be fun, enjoyable and most of all interactive.

err yea ok, ( I think ) but what do you actually do … ?