Probably a stupid question!

I got a phone call on Friday about a job I applied for months ago, they want me in for an assessment drive and interview and it’s a job I really want! But…I already drive for another company, a small family company and they won’t appreciate me going for another job, there will be repercussions!

So the stupid question is, on the assessment drive will I have to use my digicard in the tachograph:? The company I work for at the moment won’t like another vehicle flagging up on the computer when they download my card!

Advice is much appreciated.

Yeah, yr right. Stupid question. If yr that concerned don’t do it.

( you are allowed to ask stupid questions, but you’ve used up this weeks quota already :wink: )

This has been discussed a few times before.

Unfortunately it’s a fact that you must record your work hours for the assessment. Some companies work to your favour and use pre 2006 trucks so it is recorded on an analogue disc.

If you’ve already decided its the job you want , then just make a good job of the assessment and you will have no problems explaining the other vehicle in your resignation letter :wink:

Go for it it’s your life not the ‘small family company’s’. If it works out you won’t have to worry, if it doesn’t just wait until they say something and tell them you went for an assessment with a job you thought looked really good but actually you’re happy where you are. If they’re going to be really funny about it they don’t sound that great to work for.

Just tell the company you work for that you don’t want to use your digi card for the reason you’ve stated. You may get a truck with an analogue tacho, if not just do a print out and do a manual entry if the company will let you. Failing that, say you done some work for a mate and picked a truck up for him as he’d bought a couple of new trucks and had no way of picking them up, its no big deal then.

Just do it, when the digicard thing gets printed off nobody ever checks the reg plate for every single day, they only look for infringements.
It will pass under the radar…

Oh dear, I’ve lost or misplaced my digicard this morning so will need to do manual printout for this assessment drive :wink:

Oooh look, I found my digicard later that day :smiley:

ROG:
Oh dear, I’ve lost or misplaced my digicard this morning so will need to do manual printout for this assessment drive :wink:

I like this suggestion Rog:)

ROG:

thats ok but dont look good at an interview, loosing things. dont you need to be squeeky clean at an interview■■? just use it, do a good drive/interview and you’ll be ok cos when you get the job it wont matter to the other company. :wink: :smiley:

The problem with claiming to have lost your driver card is that the assessment may be cancelled, the company will probably want to see your driver card so they can see how many infringements you pick up and how much of a head ache you will be to there analysis system.

I would say your best option would be to be honest and ask if there’s any chance that you could do printouts instead of using your driver card, or simply use the card and hope for the best.

tango boy:
thats ok but dont look good at an interview, losing things. dont you need to be squeeky clean at an interview■■? just use it, do a good drive/interview and you’ll be ok cos when you get the job it wont matter to the other company. :wink: :smiley:

Agreed

I think you will still need to inform your current company that you have driven without your card, so that they will not be in breach of your hours and the WTD. Check the terms and conditions of your contract of employment,that you can drive for another company without their consent. You could use still the digi card, and tell them you hired a seven and half tonne to do a family removal etc.

Had a driver turn up where i used to work for an interview and assessment.

When i went to take him out for his assessment, he didn’t want to put his digicard in for the same reasons…and the fact that he was supposed to be on weekly rest!
Needless to say he didn’t get to do his assessment drive or have an interview.

So, make sure you don’t go for the assessment during a rest period!

send off for a new digi card, use the old one for the assessment.

you can borrow my card if you want, i’m not using it at the moment, just don’t crash. :laughing:

ROG:

This happened to me for real when i went for an assessment for Asda through an agency 5 yrs ago and they just said bye bye come back when you find your card so this excuse might backfire.

If you are an employed driver then why are they making you do an assessment anyway?I would understand if you had a brand new license and no experience.They must know that using your card in another truck could have repercussions for you .

Think I’ll ask not to use it but will if I have to!

Although there really isn’t much you can do about it - I think that this is very unfair on several levels: Most people can go to an interview without letting their current employer know, but not us! And also, whenever you go for the assessment, it is likely to impact on your working day. You have to be sure you have enough hours left to do the assessment - you can hardly tell your boss that you can’t work that extra hour because it won’t leave you enough shift time for your interview! And you can’t go for it earlier either as it will still shorten your available hours. A weekend interview will mean shortening your weekly rest and having to compensate - possibly having to explain why. I know it’s just the way it is, but it’s really not fair, and not something that most people have to think about. End of rant. :neutral_face:

PS - not a stupid question

grumpybum:
Although there really isn’t much you can do about it - I think that this is very unfair on several levels: Most people can go to an interview without letting their current employer know, but not us! And also, whenever you go for the assessment, it is likely to impact on your working day. You have to be sure you have enough hours left to do the assessment - you can hardly tell your boss that you can’t work that extra hour because it won’t leave you enough shift time for your interview! And you can’t go for it earlier either as it will still shorten your available hours. A weekend interview will mean shortening your weekly rest and having to compensate - possibly having to explain why. I know it’s just the way it is, but it’s really not fair, and not something that most people have to think about. End of rant. :neutral_face:

PS - not a stupid question

Very good point and I agree, there’s a lot we have to think about that others in different occupations don’t.