Pro,s and cons of running to ireland

as it says really, we have been asked to qoute for jobs running to both north and south, anyone with this type of experience think of any thing i should take into account when pricing it up? { i know ferries :laughing: } already had a price for them and think i might buy my own boat after seeing what they charge!

Hope you are pricing round trip, unless you have backloads guaranteed dont bother

i think it will be a non starter as i,ve just thought , do you need an international o license for southern ireland ?

I loved it ; wasnā€™t so keen on NI tho .

Yes you need a international for southern Ireland but not for Northern Ireland as it is part of British Isles

I think you will find that the big boys get such huge discounts on the ferries you will not be able to get near them on pricing. Might be worth getting a ferry quote from an agent, try Harbour Shipping in Dover might be cheaper than direct from the ferry companies.

looks like its a non starter then as i dont have an international license and i need to qoute for both jobs, cant just do one , thanks anyway

Sub it out and put 10% on top! :smiley:

nice idea but thats why they want someone else to do it rather than who,s doing it now, they want same truck and driver who loads it to take it all the way, too much material being damaged apparently

chaversdad:
looks like its a non starter then as i dont have an international license and i need to qoute for both jobs, cant just do one , thanks anyway

Seeing as we are all part of this one big Eurostate now I dont see why you should need an International O Licence to do work inside the EU

Contact Interfrigo as they have the biggest share in boat spaceā€¦ It would shock you as to what lorries & trailers actually pay (Under Ā£50 apparently). If you had a flat bed or taut it seems Westland @ Dungannon ship a lot of peat out of there and always looking so think youā€™d get a backload from there.

scottishcruiser:
Contact Interfrigo as they have the biggest share in boat spaceā€¦ It would shock you as to what lorries & trailers actually pay (Under Ā£50 apparently). If you had a flat bed or taut it seems Westland @ Dungannon ship a lot of peat out of there and always looking so think youā€™d get a backload from there.

thanks for the info mate but as i said above, bit of a non starter now due the international o license, tho i,m betting theres plenty goes over there without one

We used to run to near dundalk with guinness widgets via stranrar - belfast, i am pretty sure they didnt have an international licence, and this was a big company. i would check. rather than listen to hear say.
I wouldnt have thought a NI haulier would need an international licence to go south.

i have checked it out properly and i would need an int o license for southern ireland

ajdavis64:
We used to run to near dundalk with guinness widgets via stranrar - belfast, i am pretty sure they didnt have an international licence, and this was a big company. i would check. rather than listen to hear say.
I wouldnt have thought a NI haulier would need an international licence to go south.

n.i hauliers do need the international licence if doing work in the south .

chaversdad:
i have checked it out properly and i would need an int o license for southern ireland

If the contract is lucrative, would it not be worth upgrading your O licence? Could employ a CPC holder on a consultant basis.

If you donā€™t want to do it, please PM me.

uk operators donā€™t need an international o licence for the republic, unless you are delivering in dublin centre.
and they donā€™t check [zb] all anyway.
but if you donā€™t want the work. iā€™ll have it. and iā€™ll make sure theres a nice drink in it for you.

blimey this is getting confusing, i asked the official powers that be and was told i defo need one, but now limey says i dont :confused: i have enough to be going on with so wouldnt bother if i have to upgrade my license anyway

chaversdad:
blimey this is getting confusing, i asked the official powers that be and was told i defo need one, but now limey says i dont :confused: i have enough to be going on with so wouldnt bother if i have to upgrade my license anyway

i asked one of our subbies the same thing some time back. but iā€™ll check next week to be sure.

When I was doing the OD bit, hauled quite a few loads of aggregates ā€œdown Southā€ and got stopped at the usual checkpoints here and there.
The guards looked at my national licence disc in the window and waved me on every time :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:
The rules are a little bit more relaxed over here. :sunglasses: