PPE

I apologise if this sounds like a daft question.

I have done my CPC and I know that the employer is supposed to supply any PPE required for the job but after reading threads on here some people take their own PPE to interview in case they need to do an assessment drive.

So here’s the question, do you buy your own or not?

The only thing I have and take with me everywhere is my own boots and hi viz vest.

oohmygod831:

I bought my own boots/vest for an ‘easier life’ as the agency has not given me them yet (they said they are out of stock and will give it to me when back in stock).

I am sure the agencies pull the ‘out of stock’ b*****s on purpose so that you buy your own as otherwise you cannot go to the assessment, but I will keep asking them for this PPE and I will ‘demand it’ off them, will use theirs as a ‘spare’.

nobodysdriving:

oohmygod831:

I bought my own boots/vest for an ‘easier life’ as the agency has not given me them yet (they said they are out of stock and will give it to me when back in stock).

I am sure the agencies pull the ‘out of stock’ b*****s on purpose so that you buy your own as otherwise you cannot go to the assessment, but I will keep asking them for this PPE and I will ‘demand it’ off them, will use theirs as a ‘spare’.

Are you on the books or self employed ie on an umbrella company pay roll ?

nick2008:

PAYE under the agency…not ‘self employed’

nobodysdriving:

nick2008:

PAYE under the agency…not ‘self employed’

Agency, big mistake try and stay well clear of the ■■■■■■■■ As for PPE I took my boots and hi vis to interview just in case an assessment drive on the spot( left boots in the car), plus when you walk through there yard with a hi-vis on you look like you no what your doing and not a complete tool :slight_smile:

ash 001:
Agency, big mistake try and stay well clear of the [zb]!

yes Ash, but I am unsure if you know that I already have a full time job, so my ‘only’ option is to be with an agency (or a company who wants an ‘ad-hoc’ driver on their books, one who can only do 2 to 3 day A MONTH).

I can only drive around 3 days a month at the moment, I have a plan that in future I will do more and more but have to be patient :slight_smile:

A lot of jobs/companies require you to start as agency, it’s like a probation period.
After say 3 months, they offer you the job, or keep you on agency until a better candidate can be found.

Evil8Beezle:
A lot of jobs/companies require you to start as agency, it’s like a probation period.
After say 3 months, they offer you the job, or keep you on agency until a better candidate can be found.

also…I asked about rates of pay through the agency, they say after 12 weeks the rates go up (quite substantially actually)…

don’t know why but that is what I have been told by them today

Evil8Beezle:

I know that feeling well! Been on agency for over a year and had two companies offer me jobs. Turned them both down. Current place has hinted they’d like to take me on, but I’m still waiting. Shame really because I really like it here.

nobodysdriving:

Evil8Beezle:

also…I asked about rates of pay through the agency, they say after 12 weeks the rates go up (quite substantially actually)…

I’ve heard the rumour, that RM pays quite well! :wink:

But don’t know that for sure… Just that no one seems to complain on the main forum about the money! :grimacing:

Evil8Beezle:

But don’t know that for sure… Just that no one seems to complain on the main forum about the money! :grimacing:

well…in all honesty I think the pay is not good enough in the first 12 weeks, after that it is what I would call ‘normal/half decent’ but that is via the agency, I guess it would be less if employed directly by royal mail?

nobodysdriving:

Evil8Beezle:

well…in all honesty I think the pay is not good enough in the first 12 weeks, after that it is what I would call ‘normal/half decent’ but that is via the agency, I guess it would be less if employed directly by royal mail?

I’m sure you will soon find out…

Is that 12 weeks of working, or 12 weeks calendar?

Evil8Beezle:

well how would I find out? guess if Royal Mail wants to ‘buy me’ and offer me a job? then yes I’ll find out :laughing:

I intend to do about 1 shift a week so I asked the agency: is it 12 weeks of working full time or even just of working 1 shift a week? they said even if I only work one shift a week it is still 12 weeks (but I did not ask what if I don’t work at all one week, I shall ask when I next speak to them)

so she said to me that in November it will be 12 weeks for me and so I’ll get the ‘pay rise’ (it is about 58% pay increase)

nobodysdriving:

Evil8Beezle:

well how would I find out? guess if Royal Mail wants to ‘buy me’ and offer me a job? then yes I’ll find out :laughing:

I intend to do about 1 shift a week so I asked the agency: is it 12 weeks of working full time or even just of working 1 shift a week? they said even if I only work one shift a week it is still 12 weeks (but I did not ask what if I don’t work at all one week, I shall ask when I next speak to them)

so she said to me that in November it will be 12 weeks for me and so I’ll get the ‘pay rise’ (it is about 58% pay increase)

58% increase? You’re either on terrible money for 12 weeks (calendar by the sound of it), or you are going to be on major money afterwards.
I fear it’s the first though, so can’t be surprised you are not impressed with the money to start with.

And you can find out, remember the Mailman? :smiley:

Was that gushing enough? :open_mouth:

Evil8Beezle:
And you can find out, remember the Mailman? :smiley:

Was that gushing enough? :open_mouth:

oh yeah right, yes the mailman :slight_smile:

nobodysdriving:

Evil8Beezle:

If you don’t mind me asking what agency is that with… PM me if you don’t wanna post it out loud… just so that I could consider them or write them off

If your working through an agency chances are they won’t give you anything. Gloves are a good idea, plus depending on what work your doing you might be delivering to construction sites and you’ll need a hard hat

In the real world, many employers supply PPE, but when it comes to boots the usual offerings are cheap nasty rubbish, you only have one pair of feet/ankles/legs so look after them, a good quality boot will cost you around £70 and last up to 2 years if worn daily, your body is worth more than that.

Some companies will make a contribution if you prefer to buy your own, my lot give £25 as expenses following receipt for the boots, it’s not great…where i used to work they’d pay the full whack at one time but short sighted gits took the ■■■■ as they invariably do and that was stopped.

So back on topic.

As your only PT the agency aren’t going to kit you out just to have you walk away a few months down the line.

Just go buy a decent pair of boots and a good hi-viz and gloves .