Powder tankers Any advice?

As I have mentioned in earlier threads that I start a new job on Tues on powder tankers, I will be having a full weeks training, so am expecting to pick things up ok, just wondering if any old hands have any advice on what to expect, that sort of thing. Have already read Henrys Cats diary on this topic.

FFS don’t do containers it sounds like a ■■■■■ mightmare :laughing: :laughing:

Containers are brilliant cody! When do you start youll have a ball I loved it.

listen to your trainer,
once your own your own dont cut corners , do it the way you are shown .
always wear goggles when unloading, powders tankers can bite. you cant drive if your blind.
some loading places are dustier than others, keep your windows closed when loading.

carry a few litres of water with you. it stops pipes leaking.
get some wellies
when backing into some places keep an eye out on your mudflaps, make sure you dont snag em.

Be wary of static, that bites too. If you have a leak round the lids, stop the blower and release the pressure. DO NOT START HAMMERING

If its a tipping silo, make sure ground is level, unit is in line and not too windy.

Its always easier to put a bit more on than take a bit off when loading.

Some companies use land based blowers, make sure no one has faffed with pressure valves.

Enjoy your new job :stuck_out_tongue:

as dave said listen to your trainer,and take your time
speeding the job up just leads to mistakes,
make sure that all conections are correctly connected
as if they come loose you will only have a rather big mess to
clear up,

have a look at the usefull tips as there are some posts
there that may be of use, also try puting a search on
an see what resilts it turns up, might be usefull,

i know very little about powder tankers,but what little i do know is dont try to do the job too quick.
i had a quick’ on the job’ training many years ago,and the tank i was trained on
had 3 outlet valves,i was told to open each valve slightly, and let the powder run through.
the blower then 'blew 'the powder out,if you try to let too much powder through, the blower cant cope ,and you end up with a blocked outlet pipe that the blower cant clear.
so dont try to rush it im sure the guy training you will keep you right .

Everyones advice so far is spot on!!

Just bear in mind at all times that pressurised air canbe fatal if all the guidelines are not followed.

Having said that, the five years that I was doing the job was indeed interesting.

Some tested your patience, others your reversing skills :laughing:

I must admit that when I first started my brain was in knots the first week, and the first six weeks I thought that the job was not for me. :frowning:

Then it just clicked and things were great. :wink: Just keep this thought with you for the first few weeks and you’ll be fine.

Good luck and all the best :wink:

my only advice was learnt as my fathers lid lad and he said the golden rules are always open air valve then product valve and then product valve valve shut before shutting the air valve . as a kid i used to keep my hands warm on the discharge pipe . my dad used to watch me start the donkey engine pipe up then he used to go and get a cup of tea whilst i discharged the load . he even bought me a rubber mallet for my birthday !! used to do it 3 times a night winsford to runcorn (ici rocksavage )loading flourspar into ici then reloading back to colin stewart minerals at winsford with a load of anhydrite or bentonite . flourspar was heaviest and at 38 ton the tank was only a quarter full and a pig to blow

Best advice is blow as your trained and dont try to cut corners once you get out on your own , it could end in tears all for the sake of saving a few mins at the discharge.
Oh and check the pipe your going to blow up is the right silo for the product you have because if you contaminate a silo you wont be popular…with anyone!

Steady on corners and roundabouts and enjoy :sunglasses:

Don’t forget to vent the tank and release all the internal pressure before changing the pipes (if you have more than one silo to blow into). DON’T rely on the valve to hold the pressure back, I’ve heard of fatal accidents that have happened this way.

And what everyone else says…don’t rush it, remember what your trainer said and enjoy the job ('till the silo pipe gets jammed and you have to release the tanker pressure, take the delivery pipe off, thump the silo pipe to unblock it, get covered in half a tonne of powder, sweep up the said the powder, start again! :stuck_out_tongue: )

You’ll love it! I did an agency stint of about 6 months for Blue Circle a few years ago, it was good fun.

Good luck with the new job!

Shrek:
And what everyone else says…don’t rush it, remember what your trainer said and enjoy the job ('till the silo pipe gets jammed and you have to release the tanker pressure, take the delivery pipe off, thump the silo pipe to unblock it, get covered in half a tonne of powder, sweep up the said the powder, start again! :stuck_out_tongue: )

How I do miss it, i never realised how much until now :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Who are you starting with?

Think him and another guy are at MJS from next week Steve

If its MJS, and Darren is training you tell him Steve off Kola’s says hello.

The jobs fairly simple, but if in doubt walk the site first. Always give the silo a blast of air before you blow to make sure its clear. Darren will see you right, as will Nigel (think he’s now on the Scania with the tank).

Only other advice is if you load out of croxden, keep out of the batcher called Ray’s way, he’s a nutter and you can tell him that from me. Joking apart, don’t take what they may say to you to heart, they’re a good bunch of lads. If I could have got home everynight, I would still be on there.

Hi Steve. 2 of us starting on MJS one tomorrow me Tuesday, I will be running out of Meridan and the other lad running out of Croxden, Im gonna be out all week while he will apparently be home every night, however this doesnt bother me. Darren will be training one of us Ill say hi to him for you

I can definatly fill you in on Meriden, cos thats where I was based. Nick is sound but has his moments as we all do. Leon can be a bit forgetful and thinks he’ knows it all and has done it all.

Just tell them Numpty says hello.

and if you happen to get your trailer stuck in the mud then don worry about it.

zb happens.
more so on the mortar side of things where you are constantly delivering to building sites. its happened before and it will happen again.

i had a mate of mine do the same. he dropped the trailer to get it from another angle and the trailer legs went straight down through the sand.
crap happens.

dave:
listen to your trainer,
once your own your own dont cut corners , do it the way you are shown .
always wear goggles when unloading, powders tankers can bite. you cant drive if your blind.
some loading places are dustier than others, keep your windows closed when loading.

carry a few litres of water with you. it stops pipes leaking.
get some wellies
when backing into some places keep an eye out on your mudflaps, make sure you dont snag em.

says it all - if you like an easy life - sitting in the cab while someone else does the work then powder tanks aren’t for you.
even when it’s raining cats and dogs, snowing and hailing you need to be at the point of discharge making sure you don’t get a blockage or a leak in the pipes, keeping your eye on the pressure guage.
worst job i’ve ever done and have turned the same down several times since, not that i’m lazy but I prefer a clean cab, walking in shoes on tarmac or concrete not shuffling around in wellies in 8 inches of mud.

I’m suprised at that Johnny , Ive been doing it for about 3 years now and don’t have to wear wellies and my cab is always spotless ! It can get a bit messy on the odd occasion but I just dust off my boots when needed and sweep out the footwell regular. Polish the dash a couple of times a week and Roberts your mothers brother :sunglasses:
You hated it but I love it , horses for courses I suppose