Possibly a Driver Shortage?

thank.sorry for mistakes.but i start collect from here ,what post local people .when i collect to many ,i post here.i think some local people not been in school or just smoke near.one local man last month can t spell and wright -Barriers.but he work for transport office boss,he Lorry drivers with 20 years expirience.

Juddian:
There’s been a shortage of drivers for ages, but not necessarily a shortage of licence holders… :smiling_imp:

I’m 2 months into a job in a transport office after 25 years of driving, I have telephone conversations with drivers that if I posted the details nobody would believe me.

mike68:

Juddian:
There’s been a shortage of drivers for ages, but not necessarily a shortage of licence holders… :smiling_imp:

I’m 2 months into a job in a transport office after 25 years of driving, I have telephone conversations with drivers that if I posted the details nobody would believe me.

example■■?

“Jock Brown wishes to remove your clothes with his teeth, whilst rolling a ■■■ with both hands on the steering wheel”.
“A driver with 62 points on his license is protesting at the paltry £14ph rates on offer”
“We lost three staff this week - two of them decided to become professional benefit claimants, and the other has decided there’s more money in being a rent boy instead.”
“Our youngest driver is half my age. The oldest - double it.”
“Drivers at both extremes of age have been in tears over the fines for not having their legs wound down properly. £50 per turn has really upset them, as they were told by everyone it’s only £15…”
“The kingpin is the same shape as a ■■■■■■.”
“John Smith, covering as agency for two nights this week - has managed to buy everyone else in the office a coffee during that short tenure.”

Winseer:
“Jock Brown wishes to remove your clothes with his teeth, whilst rolling a ■■■ with both hands on the steering wheel”.
“A driver with 62 points on his license is protesting at the paltry £14ph rates on offer”
“We lost three staff this week - two of them decided to become professional benefit claimants, and the other has decided there’s more money in being a rent boy instead.”
“Our youngest driver is half my age. The oldest - double it.”
“Drivers at both extremes of age have been in tears over the fines for not having their legs wound down properly. £50 per turn has really upset them, as they were told by everyone it’s only £15…”
“The kingpin is the same shape as a ■■■■■■.”
“John Smith, covering as agency for two nights this week - has managed to buy everyone else in the office a coffee during that short tenure.”

What the heck are you smoking?

Pimpdaddy:

att:
…So there may be a shortage after all!!

There isn’t, hasn’t & never will be a shortage:!::!:
commercialmotor.com/latest-n … n-the-rise

You are not the brightest bulb on the string are you? I answered this exact post of yours in another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=114732

wheelnutt:

Pimpdaddy:
There will never be a shortage, look:
commercialmotor.com/latest-n … n-the-rise

You are missing the important bits, in the year to March 2014 44,937 tests were taken compared to 86,286 back in 2008/09, so there are 42,000 less tests per year now than 7 years ago, while there are only 16,000 a year taking their DCPC (combined HGV/PCV)

In the last 7 years, there has been a shortfall of 290,000 fewer tests in total.

Now lets couple that with the record year last year where more trucks were registered in the UK since records began, more than Germany for the first time, and yes we are looking at a shortage, no amount of EEU drivers can make up for the shortfall.

I see it down in the London area every day where plenty can’t fill the openings and wages have steadily been going North all year, you gotta be a right muppet not to make 700-800 a week down here, with loads of agency work paying 17-21 an hour and they can’t fill their openings either.

At our place we have had 7 consecutive pay rises since last summer and are due another one next month. Some of our units that were bought in the latest round of fleet expansion are still parked up, we just can’t get the drivers for them, at least not the ones we want…

There is a massive shortage of drivers, more so in the South then in the soon to be seperate republic of Scotland, I must admit, and it is only getting worse for those that are not adjusting their pay in the current climate.

topmixer11:
CANUTES PURFLEET have resorted to placing a large well made advertising banner on their headquarters class 1 needed training given. Powder hi ab and general :open_mouth:

Their pay is far inferior to those around them, you can get a few quid an hour more just up the road and until they adjust that the banner will be there for a long time. You are not going to find any drivers only paying 650 quid a week in the East of London.

wheelnutt:
You are not the brightest bulb on the string are you? I answered this exact post of yours in another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=114732

I never claimed I was bright but what I’m saying is true. If there was a shortage the shelves would be bare-fact:!:

Agenceys will just take on romacs now as they did with poles 5+ years ago

nearly there:
Agenceys will just take on romacs now as they did with poles 5+ years ago

Tell that to all the agencies that can’t manage to supply enough drivers to just the supermarkets down here, every single one of them is subbing out work as they have their own units parked up. If you can find 10,000 “romacs” tomorrow we should start an agency, we can put them to work on Monday and make a killing.

1787 seperate advertisements for “hgv driver” within 25 miles of London, just on “indeed”:

indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=hgv+driver&l=london

3768 driver jobs in London making at least 24k a year on Total jobs:

totaljobs.com/JobSearch/Resu … &Radius=25

You just know the market is good when you can get a tipper job down here paying 18 quid an hour and have half a dozen to choose from wtihin a mile of home.

2 of my buddies cut down their work week to 3 days and the other 4 days a week respectively and are taking home more now than they did only 4 years ago tramping all week. I know one guy who just does Sat/Sun and clears 550 a week. If you can’t see the driver shortage we have now, you are just not employable and no amount of shortage is ever going to help you make decent money driving a lorry, it may be time to “retrain” in some other field, can’t think of something off hand though that is legal and requires no schooling or intellect to accomplish that…

Im in fulltime work

I thought the whole concept of “romacs” was exactly that “they cannot be found”. :smiley:

Seriously though, there are a number of recruiting yards and agencies now. Problem is, so many have left this business in the last 5 years, convinced the recession would last forever - that there must surely be a shortage of talent now. Note I say “talent” rather than driver, as to exclude all those only being lined up for work on a “couldn’t get anyone else” basis… That would be those with dodgy status, just got out of jail, 6+ points on licence, and with high-liability medical conditions…

There’s only so long the market can be suppressed against the current market force that’s trying to drive up rates nationwide.
There’s only so long the pool of sub primes will last…
There’s only so long insurers will continue providing affordable cover either to entire yards, or to Self-Employed liability insurances basis.

I can already imagine walking into a yard come October, sporting a shiny blue card, clean licence, and already wearing your own PPE - and being asked “When can you start mate?” :bulb:

October? I reckon you’ll be able to do that on 9th September. I’m so confident I’ve booked my DCPC for a few weeks time and informed the wife I’m going back driving in September. Of course it’ll all turn to crap now. :smiley:

I had a spat with my manger recently and after two days looking before handing in my notice I had three job offers, and that was with needing two more dcpc’s and one was going to put me through ADR, I didnt want store deliveries and the like.
But I was talked into staying by two of our directors, and as I like my job and the people I work with I stayed (money is raised to :wink: )
The jobs are out there, class 2 at least.

Drift:
I had three job offers,

Lucky you…

Pimpdaddy:

Drift:
I had three job offers,

Lucky you…

I know, I only applied for 5 :wink:

Drift:

I’ve sent off more than 50 applications in the last year, nothing…:frowning:

Pimpdaddy:

Drift:

I’ve sent off more than 50 applications in the last year, nothing…:frowning:

:open_mouth:
Flippin eck, where about are you?

Drift:
:open_mouth:
Flippin eck, where about are you?

In the zb clearly, dole office here I come:(

Just keep at it mate, I was in the ■■■■ after being made redundant after 23 years and did everything from driving to office jobs but then took a yard job at 47 years old the place I drive for now, 8 months in I had my own (old but mine lol) wagon and a substantial rise.
I took a few steps down the ladder to get up that ladder running, lowering the sights can certainly raise the aim so to speak with a bit of graft.
I am happy and love my job and most of the people I work with, a good out look and cv with a positive work attitude.

I would start at the CV stage Pimp as thats the first port of call, once they are charmed with that its the personal charm that needs to impress :sunglasses:
I hope you get something soon mate