POOR wages?

Hi, i recently went for a interview in manchester for class 2 driving and the job advert didnt have the salary advertised… when the interviewer said class 2 get 9.50ph and class 1 10.60 ph and anything over 45 hours you dont get paid and no paid breaks … is it just me or is that taking the ■■■■? :smiley:

If I get to 45hrs I’d stop work until the following week if they’re not paying me for the extra. I ain’t working for free and I don’t have mug tattooed on my forehead. If the expect me to work extra then pay for it.

Yes they’re taking the proverbial yellow water

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t work for that, some may. My advice would be if you don’t like it simply walk away. I’m not saying one driver not taking the job in the grand scheme of things will change anything, but 10 drivers, 100 drivers etc just may change their perception on what they’re actually offering.

Oh btw, they absolutely positively 100% know that you’ll be going over 45 hours if you want to get home, the longer they get away with crap like that the happier they are. Personally wherever the vehicle was at 45 hours is precisely where I’d abandon it.

Simple solution,wherever you are whatever your doing at 40hrs allowing 5hrs in case you hit traffic ect ,turn around and make your way back to the yard…perfect hours for having fri/sat/sun off every week :laughing:

the maoster:
Personally wherever the vehicle was at 45 hours is precisely where I’d abandon it.

My point exactly [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Was it by chance Edwards? I went there for interview about year ago. Said paid 45 hours a week. Job and finish. Some weeks you do more for no extra some weeks less but still 45 hours evens it’s swlf.out over a year… they rang days later said jobs mine I said no thanks.

the maoster:
Oh btw, they absolutely positively 100% know that you’ll be going over 45 hours if you want to get home, the longer they get away with crap like that the happier they are. Personally wherever the vehicle was at 45 hours is precisely where I’d abandon it.

What he said.
They KNOW that they´ll put you over 45. Mebbe not in the first couple of weeks, but yes, they will.

Just bang 3x15’s in…then take the rest of the week off.

Sorry probably being thick, what’s the difference between what your saying and working for a set salary where no overtime is paid? Plenty of drivers do just that, job and knock basis. I used to be contracted to 45hrs with 5 unpaid break, probably went over 45 hrs once a month which were a bit ■■■ but more than worked itself out Finnish an hour early most days of the week.

If you try it and they ain’t pushin you over 45 every week, then it comes down to if 9.50x45 is enough for you. Pretty average to decent wage for class 2 up here isn’t it, sad to say.

Also to add, anyone who knows Brenntag who run out of Trafford Park, I have been on AdR courses with 2 of their drivers who both eager to tell us how easy their job is, contracted to 40 hrs on a set salary could do the days run in 6 hrs if they wanted to but fear of getting back to yard early incase of a second run coming up… perhaps this 45 hrs cut off for pay is to try and stop lazy drivers clearing their run and then hanging round the corner for 2 hours.

AnotherDriver:
Hi, i recently went for a interview in manchester for class 2 driving and the job advert didnt have the salary advertised… when the interviewer said class 2 get 9.50ph and class 1 10.60 ph and anything over 45 hours you dont get paid and no paid breaks … is it just me or is that taking the ■■■■? :smiley:

In this game, unless you’re on some sort of contract where the job is extremely steady by nature (and the only real variable is the traffic), I’d consider it a sign of bad faith to be offered a salary, especially if this isn’t made clear in the advert (because they know drivers will not have it).

In the tiny number of cases where I’ve encountered this, I’ve moved the conversation onto how hours will be measured, when any excess hours worked will be repaid with short days, and who controls when a shift is finished, and in no case has the answer been satisfactory.

In all cases it’s shown that the firm was simply trying their luck, and expecting a few hours’ work free each week from every driver.

Alfa1M:
Also to add, anyone who knows Brenntag who run out of Trafford Park, I have been on AdR courses with 2 of their drivers who both eager to tell us how easy their job is, contracted to 40 hrs on a set salary could do the days run in 6 hrs if they wanted to but fear of getting back to yard early incase of a second run coming up… perhaps this 45 hrs cut off for pay is to try and stop lazy drivers clearing their run and then hanging round the corner for 2 hours.

Perhaps what they mean is that if they tipped on break, ran the pumps at twice the proper speed, skipped their checks, and drove around like the clappers, they’d be done in 6 hours.

And that’s exactly why the firm pays for 8 hours and threatens then with a second run, to make sure they take their time with the job and don’t get into a corner-cutting mentality. And there’s enough slack built into the plans to cope with traffic conditions and hiccups on site.

And there’s always those who are not happy unless they think they’re pulling a fiddle. And if they think they have got a good fiddle, then they’ll behave themselves in all other respects.

When in actual fact, most bosses are not thick enough to pay for hours that they don’t have to pay for, and when the boss does want a favour (or wants someone to turn a blind eye to his fiddles in turn), he won’t hesitate to murmur about all those runs that are “taking too long”.

At the end of the day, it’s the firm’s responsibility to schedule work in a way that allows it to be completed in a shift, and send in a time-and-motion man if they think the job is being habitually dragged out beyond all reason. That they don’t is a sign that work is being done at an acceptable pace.

Usually the way it works is you’re salaried for 45hrs a week and if you do more you bank the extra hours which you can then use to take time off without having to use your holiday pay so if you did 50hrs a week for 9 weeks they’d have to give you a week off on pay.

Its how it works where I’m at.

As above I work at a place where they give you plenty of time to do the run so when I turn up at a depot to see the forklift driver trainer I’m not then panicking because its going to take longer than usual to get tipped.

During the Japanese “lost decade” (now in the plural, of course…) - when workers were faced with stagnant pay and being run ragged on a “volunteer” basis, I would argue that this would the period when “Minimalism” became fashionable, some ten years back now.

It times right in with the aftermath of the credit crunch.

If you’re being paid by the hour in this country, then you’ll be planned for 12-15 hours.
If you’re paid by the shift, you’ll be planned for 12-15 hours.
If you are a full timer, then 12-15 hours per day leaves a lot of full time workers with either 3 or 4 shift weeks, rather than just being encouraged to chase all the overtime, because of a poor base rate.

The problem is, that if the start rate is TOO poor, you then get a situation where even at time and a half - the overtime rate is STILL lower at what you can get, say - working agency shifts at supermarkets!

The cracks are there for all to see, but these days the T&Cs dress it up so that anyone better at driving than they are at Math - ends up taking the job, and not realizing just how crappy it gets paid - until their first pay round.

Suspicious indeed are those firms who’ll start new recruits right at the beginning of a month, and/or max out the 3x15 legally available to them each week.

It might be illegal to work more than 3 shifts over 13 hours - BUT - they can still plan you for another three shifts that same week that have no danger of “going over 13 hours”.

Watch out! - The enemy is a 5-6-5-6 shift pattern of 15-13-15-13-15 and 13-15-13-15-13-15 on week-about!

Who really wants to work a 84 hour week, got around legally because you only get paid for the average 48 hours?
I wouldn’t be surprised if these firms “don’t give you your kit until 15 minutes before departure as well”, and you are told to pop your card the moment you get back in the yard, despite having over an hours worth of “other duties” to get done before one can book off… :frowning:

“Staff turnover will be high” at such places,

Is there really such a glut of drivers up north, that it seems to be there, especially in the rurals - where such practices are routinely got away with by haulage firms? :confused:

Mebbe things are on the up.
I´ve just seen an ad for a volumetric mixer driver, 40k a year.
indeed.co.uk/cmp/HH-Muckers … 1511317592
Thats a take home per week of nearly 600 beer vouchers

And another at 27k
indeed.co.uk/viewjob?jk=4f6 … =iarecjobs
Take home 400 squids

These were in the same email, I haven´t gone hunting for em at all.

(I applied for one of ém :smiley: )

steviespain:
https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/HH-Muckers-Ltd/jobs/Volumetric-Concrete-Mixer-Lorry-Driver-5d8941b6efbb3ac6?sjdu=QwrRXKrqZ3CNX5W-O9jEvSrEigE5IRsPVi4atDJjN9w2kXT5VDFXQHzHvWbNXJ5D3PNxtaDKYhSiAAUwCvJtUeoePhVm-XWdKmrwN2GesGMxkHajvyWIw8Kl5MyjLi9gb7VjHX74gXXRspkoHdMK04Kq-AyenzJwd27UZm_g4zESQp6WVozkoVUxP7iEEHfw&tk=1ch5f0q8d2tdodo4&sita=1&fromita=1&from=postapply&_ga=2.256562184.2015895141.1530277545-572354987.1511317592

Well…

You’ll need to have a driving license.
You must have a class 2 driving license.

It’d be pointless applying if you don’t have what they request :laughing:

Ghiabox:

steviespain:
https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/HH-Muckers-Ltd/jobs/Volumetric-Concrete-Mixer-Lorry-Driver-5d8941b6efbb3ac6?sjdu=QwrRXKrqZ3CNX5W-O9jEvSrEigE5IRsPVi4atDJjN9w2kXT5VDFXQHzHvWbNXJ5D3PNxtaDKYhSiAAUwCvJtUeoePhVm-XWdKmrwN2GesGMxkHajvyWIw8Kl5MyjLi9gb7VjHX74gXXRspkoHdMK04Kq-AyenzJwd27UZm_g4zESQp6WVozkoVUxP7iEEHfw&tk=1ch5f0q8d2tdodo4&sita=1&fromita=1&from=postapply&_ga=2.256562184.2015895141.1530277545-572354987.1511317592

Well…

Bollox, didn´t think of that! :smiley:

steviespain:

Ghiabox:

steviespain:

Well…

Could I apply?
Ive been told repeatedly that Im a second class driver.

commonrail:
Just bang 3x15’s in…then take the rest of the week off.

That’s exactly what I would do

Franglais:

steviespain:

Ghiabox:

steviespain:

Well…

Could I apply?
Ive been told repeatedly that Im a second class driver.

Is that a lower or higher rank than “Second Class Citizen” :confused: :smiley: