Poll: Boycott?

Will you be boycotting/refusing to use P&O Ferries from now on?

I don’t know. Are you boycotting all the companies that sell underpriced products courtesy of questionable workplace practicies or every single company who has moved their entire production overseas (capital, jobs, taxes - everything) but continues to import and sell their products here? ALso pretty sure it’s not up to the driver to chose which ferry co they get to cross with

If I was booking them (which I don’t) then yes.

Harsh truth is that probably only UK hauliers will have strong feelings on this.

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

As I said in another post - its not really an option. Stena is the only other choice out of Cairnryan and they cant cope as it stands at the moment . Stena have 2 boats P+O have 2 boats , Stenas 2 can’t do the work of 4 boats so as soon as P+O are back with a hastily trained crew there will be people queued up waiting to get on that boat . we as drivers don’t get a choice as to what ferry we use - we get a text or a phonecall telling us what ferry to use along with a reference and a GMR number .

I’m pretty sure I’ll be back on P+O after this is over - on the Scotland to Northern Ireland route I much prefered to use P+O because the staff were so good - the ones that have just been sacked !!!
Drivers have shown their displeasure before about changes on ferries - I’m sure we will find a way to show our feelings on the new arrangements :wink:

ETS:
I don’t know. Are you boycotting all the companies that sell underpriced products courtesy of questionable workplace practicies or every single company who has moved their entire production overseas (capital, jobs, taxes - everything) but continues to import and sell their products here? ALso pretty sure it’s not up to the driver to chose which ferry co they get to cross with

It is difficult, but I try… Amazon, Dyson, Starbucks, (and Sky, The Sun, The Daily Mail etc. )
And the driver can refuse, or at least make his feelings clear to whoever is doing the booking. And with the support of his or her Trade Union could absolutely refuse.

wakou:

ETS:

It is difficult, but I try… Amazon, Dyson, Starbucks, (and Sky, The Sun, The Daily Mail etc. )
And the driver can refuse, or at least make his feelings clear to whoever is doing the booking. And with the support of his or her Trade Union could absolutely refuse.

On what grounds could a driver refuse?

wakou:

Hope you don’t use McDonalds. They moved production of their breadbuns from Corby to Portugal in the early 2000s, the chicken products come from Asia which is why they were off the menu in 2020.

Whatever anyones feelings are towards this company, how on earth could a driver refuse to use the ferry? There are lots of unscrupulous companies out there. It is like refusing to Deliver to Tescos, you would be quickly out of a job.

And with the support of his or her Trade Union could absolutely refuse.

On this forum there is often supportive comments about French “Direct Action”. But when the British are called upon, they bow and scrape. One fisherman blockading a port, in France or anywhere else, would swiftly be dealt with by the authorities, likewise a lone trucker bringing a motorway to a standstill. But if huge numbers express themselves, then things can change.

Conor:
Hope you don’t use McDonalds. They moved production of their breadbuns from Corby to Portugal in the early 2000s, the chicken products come from Asia which is why they were off the menu in 2020.

I’ll try to address those points in turn:

1. I occaisionally pop in for a McPiss, rarely much more. (Although, I did have a “wrap” on Thursday, my instructor was in charge of the lunch-break location.
  2. Moving production is not the same as importing slave-labour from the third-world to displace loyal staff (£2.60 an hour, anyone?, paid into an offshore account?)
    msn.com/en-gb/news/world/pa … dW?ocid=st

Because I am responsible for making my own travel arrangements, & being retired they will be for leisure purposes only, P&O will be the ferry of last resort. I’ve only made 3 return ferry crossing in the last 10 years none with P&O so that’ll teach 'em. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Wiretwister:
Because I am responsible for making my own travel arrangements, & being retired they will be for leisure purposes only, P&O will be the ferry of last resort. I’ve only made 3 return ferry crossing in the last 10 years none with P&O so that’ll teach 'em. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Every little helps!

Is this not Groundhog Day for a different generation of P and O from 40 ish years ago.I’ll have to look it up to remind myself of the details but it was management bullying and the worst of capitalism if my memory serves me correctly even then.

wakou:

Wiretwister:

Every little helps!

Even in recent times I was getting fed up with being confined to rear deck space only by all accounts because of noisy passengers disturbing sleeping crew in their cabins.
That reason alone was enough.
Then the silly amounts of traffic and regulation on the joke M25/M20.
Portsmouth or Newhaven is much more convenient for me with the A3 being a much better route or M23 from Pease Pottage via Dorking and Horsham.
All moot when I think the government intends to force customers to use the unattractive Channel tunnel option and eventually even no car use for continental touring.

Perhaps we should all refuse to drive foreign-built lorries? :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:
Perhaps we should all refuse to drive foreign-built lorries? :stuck_out_tongue:

What? WTF is that about?

FWIW I’ve never bought a single thing with the word cadburys on it since that bloody American woman lied through her teeth to parliament and stitched up the workers by moving production out of the country.

Not exactly catastrophic for them but each to their own.

Some brands just remain toxic for longer than others. Does anyone know if The Sun is still held in such low esteem in Liverpool?

WhiteTruckMan:
Does anyone know if The Sun is still held in such low esteem in Liverpool?

It is in my house in Essex!

wakou:
2) Moving production is not the same as importing slave-labour from the third-world to displace loyal staff (£2.60 an hour, anyone?, paid into an offshore account?)

The crew sat on the coaches at Hull ferry terminal taking over crewing the Pride of Hull were British and from the area. A few of them refused when they found out what was happening, one of them appeared on local BBC News.]

Daily Mail reported Eastern Europeans so not third world.

Conor:

wakou:
2) Moving production is not the same as importing slave-labour from the third-world to displace loyal staff (£2.60 an hour, anyone?, paid into an offshore account?)

The crew sat on the coaches at Hull ferry terminal taking over crewing the Pride of Hull were British and from the area. A few of them refused when they found out what was happening, one of them appeared on local BBC News.]

To be fair punitive emissions charges and regulations on local shipping operations like ferries added massive costs to the longer crossing routes.
In many cases like routes to Germany and Scandinavia making them unviable.
Surprised that Hull to Continent route kept going.