Polishing Trucks? - And the pshycology of anger/hate?

We have a lad at Bougheys where i work, he keeps his Truck MINT, i mean eat yer dinner off it MINT…

I used to keep my old GSL motors as clean as i could, example below, tanks polished, alloys polished, catwalk polished etc etc

Now here’s what i cannot fathom… 90% of people wouldn’t think of polishing their truck, yet they have a MASSIVE problem with anyone who does!

This is to the extent i have arrived at work with a greasy glove print on my polised tank and a HUMAN turd on my polished ALCOA’s!

Simple question, WHY■■? I know 99% of people can’t be arsed to polish their own trucks but how does this translate into a pathalogical HATRED of people who do?

gaz its somthing i cant understand either,id never dream of telling a bloke that had a filthy truck to clean it. its not my bussiness but people seem to think that they can call me sad and worse cuz i look after my truck.over the years i grown immune to the b s i here.to some folk a truck is a tool for a job and they just drive to earn money.to guys like you me and many others its a job but its a hobby as well an interest in trucks and trucking.some folk like trains cars bikes for guys like us its trucks and folk find that difficult to understand cuz its our job aswell.they have work and then a hobby we have in there eyes work and work again :smiley:
nice tidy truck youve got there mate :wink:

I will never get it, just coz they can’t be arsed why bother the rest of us eh?

P.s. I wish that was still my motor! After that i got an identical looking 440 with Durabrites then i jumped ship (AGAIN!) and got me a MAN!

I must admit i have little enthusiasm for polishing the MAN but she’s cleaner that most!!!

they dont like another driver from the same firm looking after their motor mate, makes them look idle. i look after my motor, when im tipping if the weather is nice im out polishig the wheels, hose box straps and anything else i fancy… :smiley:. truck is three and a half years old,trailer fourteen years old and i get a buzz when a customer say’s ‘nice new truck drive’ and i tell them its not. just last week we took on a new job, place i loaded at complimented me and the truck as did the pharmacuetical place i tipped at. i take pride in my truck and work if some people dont then thats up to them but ffs if they think we are sad then at least im sad in a nice clean motor and not something thats looks like the basement of the holiday inn, sarajevo!.. :smiley:

The world is full of spitefull horrible people unfortunately.
I polish my cab when i can-the company i work for notice and reward me when its time for a new rig.

Yeah, everyones a critic. I just don’t take any notice anymore. Quite often i’ll polish whilst tipping/ parked. More often than not someone will stop and say hello. Only thing is, i do think that an employed driver will get more earache than an O/D. Personally, if i see a driver taking pride in his employers equipment i will make a point of praising their efforts. Good for them, no shame in having pride.

The bosses brother has a brand spanker now but his last truck had polished rims(not durabrites)and he religiously spent near 2 hrs every night on them, wash them off, wet peeked and then oiled ready for the next nights salt n ■■■■ on the roads, his truck was cleaner than clean and when it got sold the boss got 57k + vat for a 55 plate R580 4x2, and it sold in a week, good money!!!

We have another truck which is the same spec but its as rough as a badgers arse, he’s struggling to 46k for it.

The rest of the trucks are neglected apart from mine an a couple of others, but we have lazy lazy dayshift drivers that tip and reload our trailers for the trampers if we are at home, they want home before they have started, they wont fuel up, wont check oil, wont empty pallet carriers when they go to load, wont report defects incase they get sent to get them repaired, then it was gala day in dumfries today and they want a big shiny truck to use in the parade but i wouldnt let them use mine because i knew they wouldnt clean it the way i do, and why should i clean my truck for them to take the glory. ■■■■■■■■ they then have the cheek to criticise the few people that make an effort for wasting time cleanong trucks, sorry for post hi-jacking/ranting on but it boils my ■■■■ a bit!!
We have a scania rental truck just now and the driver has polished tanks and wheels and its cleaner than most of our own trucks…

It makes me happy when someone walks past when i’m polishing etc because it things like that, that make it worthwhile, i’l always be a polisher its just the way i am. i see it as part of my days work. Again i do appologise for ranting on a bit…

I can fully agree with the previous comments.

I have also spent time polishing whilst waiting a various depot’s, If I had a pound for every person that’s said to me “When you finished that one” or “why are you polishing that?”. Simple answer because nobody else will do it for me. I have driven some fleet motors that I wouldn’t even eat my sandwiches in, but I’m sure many can appreciate where I’m coming from. My current motor is nothing fancy but I do like to keep it clean wherever and whenever possible.

Carl:
gaz its somthing i cant understand either,id never dream of telling a bloke that had a filthy truck to clean it. its not my bussiness but people seem to think that they can call me sad and worse cuz i look after my truck.over the years i grown immune to the b s i here.to some folk a truck is a tool for a job and they just drive to earn money.to guys like you me and many others its a job but its a hobby as well an interest in trucks and trucking.some folk like trains cars bikes for guys like us its trucks and folk find that difficult to understand cuz its our job aswell.they have work and then a hobby we have in there eyes work and work again :smiley:
nice tidy truck youve got there mate :wink:

I agree with what you have said here Carl.

I think seeing smart trucks on the road gives a good image for the industry. When i see a nice looking unit i will try to speak to the driver about it and normally as soon as you say “thats a smart looking vehicle” they become your best friend! :grimacing:
The other week i saw a beast of a Motward (i think that was the name of the company) motor. So i went upto the driver and had a chat with him about how smart his truck was. He said it was dirty but i thought it was very clean!

wait till you’ve been driving a few years the “shine” will wear off. :slight_smile:

i wish i had a truck i could spend hours cleaning :frowning:

Can’t you polish that royal mail van■■?

dont do it anymore, costs too much to do it with the price of petrol now over a quid a litre here, 90 miles a day aint fun and anyway the vans are shared and none of the drivers look after the vans up there

gogzy did you not double man the 90mile round trip 45 mile each with you second man :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

gogzy:
dont do it anymore, costs too much to do it with the price of petrol now over a quid a litre here, 90 miles a day aint fun and anyway the vans are shared and none of the drivers look after the vans up there

whats the best stuff to use to bring up a tired ali tank lads■■?

i was always polishing this wagon wen i had it !! i always think if u put the effort in u reap benifits from it !!! people willalways rip ya apart for it but i jus larf at them !! i’ve bin around trucks all me life an love to see them clean an smart cos i think it ■■■■ down to u an wot sorta person u r !!! not only that it keeps vosa off ya bac i think !!!
:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I work as part of the night shift at our place so i dont have my own truck now :cry: But i have a different truck every night they are all standard white low cab dafs or 8 wheeler erfs.all our work is on farms .But now i have a que of drivers wanting me to use there trucks !!.The end of every shift they all get steam cleaned cabs get brushed out and polished always fueled up ready to go in the morning all the years of tramping means i take total pride in my ride :smiley: Some think im a mug but hey its nice to be clean

jody1980:
gogzy did you not double man the 90mile round trip 45 mile each with you second man :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

gogzy:

itsnot that, its a 45 mile trip to get to work and then 45 miles to get back, and getting up at half 4 in the morning to then drive up the road is just not worth it.

been on the agencies since 2004,and if at the end of a shift if the wagon is dirty i will clean it.theres nothink worse than gettin into a dirty wagon,but if i get a wagon thats interior is unclean then i am sorry it will stop like it.

Nothing wrong with polishing a wagon in my eyes, if your an O/D it shows that you will get out and take care of your investment and if your an employed driver that even if its an old piece of crap you have pride in your job and the boss may look down on you with favour when its time for a new one. Also i tend to agree with what somebody else pointed out ( i cant be arrsed quoting) that VOSA will genrally go for the scruffy sod rather than the driver with so much time on his hands that he can polish the truck. You also tensd to find where all the little problems are to if your out and about crawling all over her rather than sitting with your boots on the dash(another hate of mine) reading the Sun or Sport.