Polishing Trucks? - And the pshycology of anger/hate?

just gotta say,my motor is by no means a show motor,and i will be perfectley honest,i dont have time hardly,to look after it the way in which i would like.i do,keep it as clean as i can,the interior more so.a few weeks ago,i was parked up early one night,so instead of putting my feet on the dash,smoking and eating and generally getting fatter,i got the polish out and got the whole cab done in 3 hours.comments from fellow drivers were priceless.tbh,i didnt care,as i pointed out,my motor looked better when i"d finished and i got one hell of a workout,it certainly burnt a few much needed points off.
apparently now,im one of the"gaffers men" cos i look after my truck.
oh well…

i work 4 ABBEYROADTANKS out of liverpool/home based in essex i polished every truck ive had from a p112 when i started to my current 105 xf.we have 140 trucks and only 2 of us keep on top of them and can u beleive our directer and owner told me to stop lookin after it because it makes the others look ■■■■■■■■■■ that out? i also have had grease under me door handles and on deisel tank and ■■■ burn in me seats and driver after driver sayin im a arse licker.if i wanna look after my truck so what why are they so upset by this?..please enlighten me someone please… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

What about washing ? I used to have a listin my head of where you could wash your Lorry without a problem , used to carry a hosepipe especially for the job , would rather spend an hour washing than an hour lining some bozos pocket for over priced Booze and not have a head ache next morning!Biggest problem was carrying enough connectors for all the variety of taps.

If someone could tell me how I can get my drivers to start washing the trucks and maybe clean them out every so often I would be eternally grateful. nothing I have tried over 4 years has worked.

If someone could tell me how I can get my drivers to start washig the trucks and maybe clean them out every so often I would be eternally grateful. nothing I have tried over 4 years has worked.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ain’t you heard of written warnings etc?

Has to be said I always did mine inside in the queue for the homeward bound boat. Outside when I got to the yard.

Nowadays mind in the era of 24 hour manning etc I wouldn’t bother cos you never get it back the same and why should I do it for anyone else.

Can’t say as I ever experienced any hostility for doing it mind.

i cant work this out either,ive always kept a clean truck(not up to show standard underneath)but its always been washed at least twice a week,i gives me a sense of joy and a smile when people comment on how good it looks :smiley:

How would you go about polishing a badly corroded catwalk■■? Hot soapy water to get the top layer of grime off?? Maybe some alloy cleaner then some metal polish?? What sort of cloths? Unfortunaely I dont have alloys or shiny tanks (Been painted) but do have a grimey catwalk.

this topic rings soo many bells, as soon as you see someone looking at you with your polish out you try to work out if they aprove or are going to rip the p155 wtf you doing that for!!!
i see it as a way of keepin fit, i miss havin a alloy tank to polish, this is my first truck with a painted tank, just got find other stuff to get shiney :smiley: :sunglasses: :laughing:

scottishcruiser:
How would you go about polishing a badly corroded catwalk■■? Hot soapy water to get the top layer of grime off?? Maybe some alloy cleaner then some metal polish?? What sort of cloths? Unfortunaely I dont have alloys or shiny tanks (Been painted) but do have a grimey catwalk.

autosol and a scoura (spellin) pad will soon have that up mate, wouldnt bother with too much cleaning it just get rid of the loose dirt and mud, i’d just attack it with the autosol.
:wink: