Police got it right

I think they did its stupid women like this thesun.co.uk/article/0,2-2006000046,00.html who cause accidents on motorways, driving slowly looking at signs not knowing where they are or where they are going what lane to be in etc etc.

We all see them on a daily basis and i,m glad the Police got it right for once, the only thing they did wrong was not to bloody lock her up.

i have to agree

paul

I suppose the Officer was being a bit of a jobsworth but then the law is quite clear. I suspect she’s not alone in not knowing the highway code :wink:

In this case they were right, I think.

But where were the plod when I saw a minibus full of turbans stopped on the M1 with prayer mats pointing to Mecca? As normal a broken down vehicle or stopped vehicle on the hard shoulder causes long delays with rubber neckers looking for blood and guts :stuck_out_tongue:

its no wonder people develop a complete disrespect for the police. a warning would have been more than sufficient. when we got burgled they couldnt even be bothered to come round.

they did do the right thing and i hope they explained to her how to rejoin the motorway too.
i have lost count of the amount of times i have seen drivers sitting with their indicator on waiting for a gap in the traffic or for some other nutter to stop and flash them out.

i totally agree with them. it was a preventative action to discourage a repeat performance. they should have been on the M3 today to deal with the muppet in the 4X4 who was in the middle of the hard shoulder with his back door opened which stretched to the edge of the inside lane. someone was wandering round it ONTO LANE 1!!! they got a blast as i shot past :imp:

People won’t know how to behave if they haven’t been taught or had it drilled into them. People want to pass their test - not learn to drive :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Once they have a full driving licence they throw away the highway code as they think they don’t need it anymore - forgetting any updates as well or they may think they only apply to newer drivers :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

In my opinion a return for public information programmes during the adverts on TV like they used to have is what is needed to cut accidents and the like

Ban the cameras and bring on the info :wink: :wink: :wink:

Bact to work tomorrow - can’t wait :cry: :cry: :wink:

Dogmanbodie:
People won’t know how to behave if they haven’t been taught or had it drilled into them. People want to pass their test - not learn to drive :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Once they have a full driving licence they throw away the highway code as they think they don’t need it anymore - forgetting any updates as well or they may think they only apply to newer drivers :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

In my opinion a return for public information programmes during the adverts on TV like they used to have is what is needed to cut accidents and the like

Ban the cameras and bring on the info :wink: :wink: :wink:

Bact to work tomorrow - can’t wait :cry: :cry: :wink:

Agreed, what you have just said there makes much more sense. A constant barrage of public information ads on TV would be far more effective and would constantly drive (no pun intended) the message home.

Yep i’m with the police on this one. If you manage to get lost on a motorway, pull off the thing and get the atlas out… she did have an atlas didnt she…

Plenty of people get killed on hard shoulders every year so i think being hit with a £30 fine was better than being hit by a 30ton truck. :wink:

So what were the police doing parked on the hard shoulder. Is this another case of one rule for them and another for us.

wideload:
So what were the police doing parked on the hard shoulder. Is this another case of one rule for them and another for us.

Emmm i think you might find they are allowed to do a lot of things we cant.

wideload:

yepp obviously there is, what a ■■■■■■■ petty robot!

wideload:

Well the article doesnt say, poor reporting by the Sun as usual. There’s always a lot they miss from their reports. The woman might well have used the lane to slow down rather than the hard shoulder and caused other cars to take evasive action, she might have got out into the carriage way… it;s what the report doesnt tell you that matters!

Whole number of legitimate reasons, they may have been in one of the purpose made parking ramps behind the hard shoulder, may have been removing debris from a the carriage way, waiting to pull off after dealing with a brakedown/accident or other incident. They might even have broken down!

None of them are going to park ‘on’ the hard shoulder to have a brew, they all know how high their chances of being killed are! :unamused:

dennisw1:
None of them are going to park ‘on’ the hard shoulder to have a brew, they all know how high their chances of being killed are! :unamused:

Which happened to a friend of mine some 25 years ago. A nicer bloke you’d be hard pushed to find.

Late one night, he’d stopped to check on a broken down motorist on the hardshoulder. Speaking to the driver from the offside door, and even with his partner acting as ‘look out’, he was struck by an errant trucker who strayed across the white line. His body was catapulted into his partner and then into the back of the patrol vehicle. His partner survived.

Which is why, when I come across people such as Discopete, if I can’t give them a whole lane, then I’ll certainly try to give them half a lane clearance.

On the lighter side, many of the topics that originate here bemoan the the lack of understanding on the part of the average motorist of the Highway code. The rules of the road. Here we have a situation whereby someone has been presented with a £30 pressie for not complying with those very rules which we all (or should that be most) complain about not being adhered to.

If it prompts the daft cow to go out and buy a copy of the Highway Code, and actually read it, then perhaps we will all be safer in the future.

If it prompts the daft cow to go out and buy a copy of the Highway Code

Or a map :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
I saw a minibus full of turbans stopped on the M1 with prayer mats pointing to Mecca?

malc, the very last thing a sikh would be doing is praying to mecca :confused: :unamused:

And i saw on the local news tonight, she’s going to appeal it :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Taken from the Highway Code:

244: You MUST NOT stop on the carriageway, hard shoulder, slip road, central reservation or verge except in an emergency, or when told to do so by the police, an emergency sign or by flashing red light signals.
MT(E&W)R regs 7(1),9,10 & 16 & MT(S)R regs 6(1),8,9 & 14

Stopping to ask for directions because you are lost is not really an emergency.

Common sense says get off at the next exit and then ask for directions when parked safely.

Krankee:
Which is why, when I come across people such as Discopete, if I can’t give them a whole lane, then I’ll certainly try to give them half a lane clearance.

Yes, I do that as well.

There are so many muppets on the motorway these days… Unless there is more education in driving training for car drivers then it’s not really going to change is it… :unamused: :unamused: