POA use advice please

Hi All, Can someone please advise.
If you use POA on a ferry what is that time classed as?

If I drive for 2 hours to get to the ferry and then spend 2 hours on it with my tacho on POA can I then drive off the ferry and work for another 4 hours or only for 2 hours before I need a break to meet the WTD?
I understand I can only drive for another 2.5 hours no matter what because of the tacho rules.

Hope this makes sense
Thanks in advanced

crabsitch:
Hi All, Can someone please advise.
If you use POA on a ferry what is that time classed as?

If I drive for 2 hours to get to the ferry and then spend 2 hours on it with my tacho on POA can I then drive off the ferry and work for another 4 hours or only for 2 hours before I need a break to meet the WTD?
I understand I can only drive for another 2.5 hours no matter what because of the tacho rules.

Hope this makes sense
Thanks in advanced

why not just slap it on break :question: after all if your not doing any work why bother

Because when the tacho gets scanned the office staff will want to know why I was on break, Also if you go on break does it not reset everything so I would then end up with only 4.5 hrs plus 1hr driving left?

crabsitch:
with only 4.5 hrs plus 1hr driving left?

Where did you get that figure from ?

a day can be 4.5hrs driving then 45min break then 4.5hrs driving then 45min break then 1 hr driving

I have been told that once i take a 45 min break it resets and then you more on to the next

I have tried everywhere to get answers to tacho rules but all that happens is people just give me different answers all the time. I really am thinking about giving up

Right I see what you’re on about now, not true you can have as many 45’s as you want and as long as you don’t drive more than either 9 hrs or 10 hrs (twice a week) you’ll be fine. That’s just a guide you’re on about just to show you how it can be done, you can drive for 1 minute have 45 break and still have 8.59 or 9.59 driving time left.

Oh and to answer your first question do what Nick said.

crabsitch:
Because when the tacho gets scanned the office staff will want to know why I was on break, Also if you go on break does it not reset everything so I would then end up with only 4.5 hrs plus 1hr driving left?

Then tell them it’s cos you were on a ferry.

It won’t affect your remaining time other than resetting your driving “clock” to give you a 4 1/2 hr stint (if that time remains)

If for instance you really didn’t want to use a rest for any reason you could leave it on POA or other work (if on the train for instance as a relatively rapid crossing) if you wanted but remember that POA can also reset your driving time on the tacho display.

Basically - throw it on rest - it’s easier and more straight forward.

Why do you want to use POA - I haven’t used it for 6 years +, it’s either work, drive or rest. Still gives the same results.

I was told in my cpc that a break had to be done at the end of a driving stint (ie 4.5hrs) as it will reset the time I have to drive.

So if I had a 45 minute break after 1 hour i would then only have 4.5 hrs (plus 1 hour after another break twice a week)

crabsitch:
I was told in my cpc that a break had to be done at the end of a driving stint (ie 4.5hrs) as it will reset the time I have to drive.

So if I had a 45 minute break after 1 hour i would then only have 4.5 hrs (plus 1 hour after another break twice a week)

Yes you do need 45 after doing 4.5 hrs of driving but you can take your break whenever it suits before exceeding 4.5 hrs.
And to answer your 2nd question you’ll have either 8 or 9 hrs driving left.

If you drive for 1 hour then had a 45 min break. You still have 8 (or 9 if extending to 10) hours driving time available.

It WILL reset the driving time allowed before having another 45 min break back to 4 1/2 hours.

Therefore in my example -

Drive 1 hour

45 min break (8 hours driving time remaining)

Drive 4 hours (for example)

45 min break (4 hours driving time left out of the 9)

Drive 4 hours

End of day.

Obviously this doesn’t include other work etc.

Have you got a job that involves ferry crossings? If your going to Euro mainland make sure your spot on with hours otherwise your wallet will be considerably lighter.

Many moons ago I used to bounce up and to Scotch a lot and would drive for about 3 hrs followed by 45 followed by 3 hrs followed by 45 followed by another 3 hrs then rest overnight.

so are you saying i can drive for 1 hour then break for 45 mins then drive for 8 hours and this is legal?

kjw21:
Which CPC trainer told you this?

Maybe the OP didn’t quite understand or misinterpreted what was said.

No I’m saying you have 8 hours left overall.

But you have to divide into 2 stints of a maximum 4 1/2 hours. ( say 2 x 4 hour stints)

crabsitch:
so are you saying i can drive for 1 hour then break for 45 mins then drive for 8 hours and this is legal?

Yes , but not 8 hrs all in one go of course.

@bald - yeah edited my post cos I initially got wrong impression

crabsitch:

No. You can only drive for a maximum of 4.5 hours BETWEEN breaks. Once you have a 45 minute break your current driving time will be reset. You will have an accumulated driving time for the day which will consist of ALL of your driving from starting duty.

In answer to your original question which nobody has yet answered, the POA will reset your time for fulfilling WTR hours. You can do 6 hours from the end of your POA before requiring another break (obviously not all driving)

thank you both i now finally understand the driving hours in a day thing and that the guy who done my cpc was totally wrong when i asked him.

So I can break as and when i want so long as i dont exceed 9hrs driving (10 twice a week) and dont do more than 4.5 driving hours without a 45 min break ?

Just because u take a 45min break doesn’t mean u only have 4.5hrs remaining it means u can drive for 4.5hrs ( if u have the hrs )
In your case
2hrs Driving
2hrs Ferry (poa)
2.5hrs Driving
45min Break
4.5hrs Driving
Total 11hrs 45 min

Or
2hrs Driving
2hrs Ferry ( Rest )
4.5hrs Driving
45min Rest
2.5hrs driving
Total 11hrs 45 min

Spot on. (Who do I address my invoice to for my services as CPC ■■■■■■■■ corrector?)