Please l need some guidance automatic gearbox

Hi there good guys

I am a disabled guy with mobility impairment science l was 5 am absolutely in love with trucks and driving.
I am looking to do my HGV license c c+e to be able to drive a proper nice truck around Europe but my problem is that no training courses they don’t have an automatic gear box that l can attached the hand controls to be able to complete my course and pass my test
if any at all have any ideas or have any one at all in mind that might be able to help me please let me know either here or on my email address icemano3@yahoo.co.uk Ive tried the most popular ones , l wrote to few guys at the truck and drive magazine no one can get me any where is really that bad? l know you might say that this is not a job for disabled person but l will say how mobile am and strong positive attitude l say is doable
i pass my b b1 driver license first time very long a go both theory and driving test with no probs
can any one help? should l drop a line to Mr Stobart? :smiley:

go to mr stobart helping you would be fantastic p.r. for any firm

I used to see a bloke with one arm tipping every morning in Aldi Bathgate,Browns he worked for…not the lot mixed in with Turners but the others,think they are a Scotch firm.
Good luck fella!

Write a letter to some big tabloid newspapers to the readers comments pages and the local paper.
Local radio and Tv stations.This would make a good public interest story.Then somebody will know about it and help you out.
Contact the local MP.
What should stop you driving around Europe.
Answer;Nothing.
If that is what you want to do.
Maybe dinner with the town Mayor.Go to the newbie forum on Tnuk.They have trainers on there that may help.

There used to be a disabled guy on air-freight a good few years ago, he might still be there, but I don’t know if he was disabled when he passed his test or not.

I’ve no idea on the rules and regulations of that, but a test is usually a standard length of time, and in that you’ve got to couple and un-couple a trailer in the official way - reverse upto trailer, get out, check trailer brake, check 5th wheel height, back in, hook up, back out etc etc…
I’ve no idea how they’d do it with a disabled person, because although, as you say, anything is possible, it’s the time restraints?

Have you contacted VOSA, the DVLA and maybe the DFT? Someone must have a list of people willing and able to train a disabled person, if you had a really big camper van, you’d need a HGV licence to drive it for example, or a horse box.

I lost my arm as a child and completed my hgv seven years ago now and have been driving ever since. The comments about “fantastic PR”, like a person with a physical disablement really want’s to be singled out!, instead they prefer to get on with the job in hand and if stuck will ask without any fan fairs, bells or whistles. In order to pass my own test I did allot of research and found a retired driving tester who has driving teaching qualifications, after that I hired an automatic truck from a rental company and because we where in the business I put the truck on our fleet insurance.

I remember the day I went todo the artic test I landed into the test centre in a 6 legger 4.1m Volvo and a reefer on behind the examiner nearly ■■■■ himself as he hadn’t been in a “real truck” as he put it in some time :slight_smile: didn’t stop him tho getting the tape measure out to make sure I hadn’t pushed out the fifth wheel plus they weren’t completed happy about close coupling a fridge but acknowledged that it was common practice and let me away with it.

If you need any advice PM me I’ll try and point you in the right direction.

try redrose training. they’ll bend over backwards to get you driving.

You can take your tests in an auto truck now - it won’t be long before some training firms start to get them in. So long as your able to do your walk around checks, get on a cat walk to connect the air lines, and pull the release handle on a 5th wheel then you will be ok.
Your choice of jobs will be a little less - as most are quite physical with loading/unloading etc, but I’m sure there are plenty of firms out there willing to help you into a trunking role etc.

Iirc all class 2 test are going auto next month, My instructor was talking about it when I sat my class 2.

Have a look in the New & wanabe forum there are some instructors in there that might be able to help

But there is no reason why you cant take your test in an auto as has been said

I have a feeling that member Peter Smythe in the newbies forum might be able to give advice on this

Are you really disabled, or are you a bored driver pretending to be somthing you aint?

Thereal-john:
Are you really disabled, or are you a bored driver pretending to be somthing you aint?

thats a shocking reply,its the blokes first post why would anybody be that bored to go to the bother of pretending to be disabled,their could be other people who the information could come in usefull aswell,get a grip :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

seth 70:

Thereal-john:

thats a shocking reply,its the blokes first post why would anybody be that bored to go to the bother of pretending to be disabled,their could be other people who the information could come in usefull aswell,get a grip :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Oh they could Seth, they’re are some low life on here with far too much time on their hands. If the guy is genuine then good luck, but as you can see I’m a cynic. Sorry if that offends you but that is my view.

Thereal-john:

seth 70:

Thereal-john:

Oh they could Seth, they’re are some low life on here with far too much time on their hands. If the guy is genuine then good luck, but as you can see I’m a cynic. Sorry if that offends you but that is my view.

Surely, the answer as a cynic is don’t read / respond to the post? :unamused:

Thereal-john:

seth 70:

Thereal-john:

i was involved in a very serious accident 2yrs ago and very nearly lost my life ,ive been on the sick ever since but should be returning to work very soon ,at the minute im classed as disabled and when people say they have been to hell well i really have have ,my physios and emplyees have been great i just cant wait to get back to normal,sorry if im a bit tetchy over the subject but i cant understand why anyone would pretend to be disabled.

Thereal-john:

seth 70:

Thereal-john:

I agree with your cynical point of view you are quite right to br sceptical.

Few years back there was a truck mag feature where a guy was paralysed from the waist down. He had a hoist to get him in the truck so anythings possible. Would imagine the bigger companies like Stobarts would be more willing to help out with any necessary adaptions than smaller outfits.

seth 70:

Thereal-john:

seth 70:

Thereal-john:

i was involved in a very serious accident 2yrs ago and very nearly lost my life ,ive been on the sick ever since but should be returning to work very soon ,at the minute im classed as disabled and when people say they have been to hell well i really have have ,my physios and emplyees have been great i just cant wait to get back to normal,sorry if im a bit tetchy over the subject but i cant understand why anyone would pretend to be disabled.

Didn’t mean to upset anyone fella, but the longer you are on this forum the more bullshitters you discover. Sad but true. Good luck with your hunt for work.
John

It must be possible. Reed Boardall used to have a driver who used hand controls when I worked for them.