Please l need some guidance automatic gearbox

yes am disabled l cant get it … you think will be someone out there to have a stupid joke about it like that?
so…science l was 5 l had a train accident l drive with hand controls l am a petrol head and l always been but is no car that can take my head a way other then the kings the real road kings
from the bottom of my heart l like to thank you to you all for your suggestions and really don’t know where to start again because very respectful l been refused every where to be honest just for the luck of holding an automatic unit to be able to do the training and the test …from the business point of view no one will lend me his unit for the period required because frankly l wont be able the pay the guys (have you ever seen rich disabled guys l haven’t) also l am very easily put a side because l get so many like …is not doable no possible…you cant and things like this l know its a hard job to do but is what l would love with passion to do to earn my existence l had few jobs l am college boy is not my place there my heart and mind its somewhere else

ajt:
Few years back there was a truck mag feature where a guy was paralysed from the waist down. He had a hoist to get him in the truck so anythings possible. Would imagine the bigger companies like Stobarts would be more willing to help out with any necessary adaptions than smaller outfits.

i have send an email to them but no replay yet l put all the details on and explained everything but …l think they are to be big for such small thing , another trucker fella sad last summer (we talked in a car park on M1 l was admiring his bright new MAN V8) from the health and safety thing this days …no chance

Danny_b:
Iirc all class 2 test are going auto next month, My instructor was talking about it when I sat my class 2.

l rang Essex training last week and sad that the legislation came out on the 6th of jan but they didnt get an automatic unit yet (they not going to get one very soon)
:cry:

Race Trucker:
You can take your tests in an auto truck now - it won’t be long before some training firms start to get them in. So long as your able to do your walk around checks, get on a cat walk to connect the air lines, and pull the release handle on a 5th wheel then you will be ok.
Your choice of jobs will be a little less - as most are quite physical with loading/unloading etc, but I’m sure there are plenty of firms out there willing to help you into a trunking role etc.

l can do all this no probs thanks for your so positive feedback :smiley:

waynedl:
There used to be a disabled guy on air-freight a good few years ago, he might still be there, but I don’t know if he was disabled when he passed his test or not.

I’ve no idea on the rules and regulations of that, but a test is usually a standard length of time, and in that you’ve got to couple and un-couple a trailer in the official way - reverse upto trailer, get out, check trailer brake, check 5th wheel height, back in, hook up, back out etc etc…
I’ve no idea how they’d do it with a disabled person, because although, as you say, anything is possible, it’s the time restraints?

Have you contacted VOSA, the DVLA and maybe the DFT? Someone must have a list of people willing and able to train a disabled person, if you had a really big camper van, you’d need a HGV licence to drive it for example, or a horse box.

not all that you mentioned up there but just the training schools so far cause this is the bit that am struggling with

bigbeefy:
go to mr stobart helping you would be fantastic p.r. for any firm

l cant get to him …

kernan_d:
I lost my arm as a child and completed my hgv seven years ago now and have been driving ever since. The comments about “fantastic PR”, like a person with a physical disablement really want’s to be singled out!, instead they prefer to get on with the job in hand and if stuck will ask without any fan fairs, bells or whistles. In order to pass my own test I did allot of research and found a retired driving tester who has driving teaching qualifications, after that I hired an automatic truck from a rental company and because we where in the business I put the truck on our fleet insurance.

I remember the day I went todo the artic test I landed into the test centre in a 6 legger 4.1m Volvo and a reefer on behind the examiner nearly [zb] himself as he hadn’t been in a “real truck” as he put it in some time :slight_smile: didn’t stop him tho getting the tape measure out to make sure I hadn’t pushed out the fifth wheel plus they weren’t completed happy about close coupling a fridge but acknowledged that it was common practice and let me away with it.

If you need any advice PM me I’ll try and point you in the right direction.

hi there

of course l need your advise on this one cause you have done your self you are the first one who had such replay

toby1234abc:
Write a letter to some big tabloid newspapers to the readers comments pages and the local paper.
Local radio and Tv stations.This would make a good public interest story.Then somebody will know about it and help you out.
Contact the local MP.
What should stop you driving around Europe.
Answer;Nothing.
If that is what you want to do.
Maybe dinner with the town Mayor.Go to the newbie forum on Tnuk.They have trainers on there that may help.

i am scared that they will lough about me

Hi, I reckon you may have checked this avenue but have you looked at the Prince’s Trust to help you?
I am unsure of your age.
princes-trust.org.uk/

Good luck and stick with it as I am sure you will get to you goal. :sunglasses:

Drift:
Hi, I reckon you may have checked this avenue but have you looked at the Prince’s Trust to help you?
I am unsure of your age.
princes-trust.org.uk/

Good luck and stick with it as I am sure you will get to you goal. :sunglasses:

hi yes l did am 39 so and be very soon unemployed as well so I’ve got all the bad points gathered in one

seth 70:

Thereal-john:

seth 70:

Thereal-john:
Are you really disabled, or are you a bored driver pretending to be somthing you aint?

thats a shocking reply,its the blokes first post why would anybody be that bored to go to the bother of pretending to be disabled,their could be other people who the information could come in usefull aswell,get a grip :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Oh they could Seth, they’re are some low life on here with far too much time on their hands. If the guy is genuine then good luck, but as you can see I’m a cynic. Sorry if that offends you but that is my view.

i was involved in a very serious accident 2yrs ago and very nearly lost my life ,ive been on the sick ever since but should be returning to work very soon ,at the minute im classed as disabled and when people say they have been to hell well i really have have ,my physios and emplyees have been great i just cant wait to get back to normal,sorry if im a bit tetchy over the subject but i cant understand why anyone would pretend to be disabled.

not at all l know the feeling so well trust me , but am happy for you that you be back on the road soon take care

If the couple and uncouple is difficult it may be worth considering if a drawbar outfit would be easier to use at test time, there would then be no need to clamber onto the catwalk.

truck and driver magazine august 2011 there is a few pages in that you will find very helpfull and give you some hope if you can get a copy from somewhere bud.

seth 70:
truck and driver magazine august 2011 there is a few pages in that you will find very helpfull and give you some hope if you can get a copy from somewhere bud.

l will try to get one then thank you

cav551:
If the couple and uncouple is difficult it may be worth considering if a drawbar outfit would be easier to use at test time, there would then be no need to clamber onto the catwalk.

l will need someone to run me through all this to be honest but thank you

Conor:
It must be possible. Reed Boardall used to have a driver who used hand controls when I worked for them.

l’ve just send an email to them about it hopefully will get some good news

just a quick up date for you all great news we’ve got

you know my old situation bla bla bla is absolutely the same (lost both legs in a train accident when l was 5) l drive with hand controls l want to do my hgv licence but no one want to take me on board for training and test because of the complication with having the truck adapted with the hand control , inssurance and all that l have allready sopke with so many companies that l forget their names BUT l was invited by Peter Smythe down there to their driving and training school to have a look at the trucks and to talk in more depth face to face to see also how severe is my disability to assess what we can do and very frankly what we cant but was no we cant hahaah was only yes we can (VERY NICE PEOPLE AND GREAT POSITIVE ATTITUDE NO DISCRIMINATION WHAT SO EVER AND YES IT WAS ALL THE WAY I THINK HE SHOULD CHANGE THE NAME INTO YES DRIVING :slight_smile: )
(IF IS ANY ONE AT ALL OUT THERE ABLE TO HELP AND CAN SUPPORT IN ANY WAY PLEASE LET US KNOW either me or Peter Smythe) So soon as l got there he start putting the parts togheter we talked and he start ringing out for inssurance , hand controls what we need preciously for it to be ablle to do the training with them
Is the best ever attitude and team and people there ready to help and train to become what you always only dream he also mentioned that to me that they had before people with disability like one leg amutation doing the training with them and they sucessed to complete the training and pass the test
So guys l am very happy to say that PETER SMYTHE will help and support me to do my c c+e licence

Reed Boardall a few years ago had a bit in the local press as they converted a HGV to hand controls for someone.

maybe worth speaking to them?

sorry just seen conor posted the same.

and I 100% agree having met the peter smythe team they are all very nice genuine people.

Hi Icemano3,I can’t really see a way I can help you, but I’m pleased that you’ve found somebody with a positive attitude that can help. I help out at an even called the race of rememberance last year run by a charity called mission Motorsport, it aims to help injured service personal get over life changing injuries physical and mental, it’s absolutely insperiring watching some of these guys overcome horrendous injuries to be able to drive or work on racing cars.

So all I can say is “go for it” the only limitation to your abilities is your imagination, and I hope Peter Smythe can help you to achieve your dreams, keep us posted.

If you have any engineering issues to hand controls tell us, I might be able to find people who can help.

It’s definately possible to do provided you can pass the medical requirements !
I have a few mates that are in wheelchairs ( the missus is a doctor in spinal injuries)
And they race cars and do all sorts. If you need to find out anything or devices for controls I can ask for you.
One of them does MOT testing now after a three year argument and a court case to get his testing cert reinstated !