Please help. Right hand turn on red light UK

Hi guys I think I have joined the wrong forum as I don’t drive a tuck but I drive a very large car
Anyway I have been driving 17 months and I think I made a balls up

Basically I crossed over a stop light on green and entered a waiting box area ( not a yellow box ) which had on he floor a right hand arrow
Anyway by the time the cars Infront moved the light which presumably was for those behind me wanting to move forward, had gone to red
I have always moved off and completed the right turns in these instances and did on this occasion but I have never ever seen a red light right above a waiting reservation
I’ve recently moved and waiting for details to be updated
The landlord of the house does not go in the property and it’s still vacant so chances are if a NIP is issued I won’t get it anytime soon
Should I not respond to it I will get 6 points and a revoked licence

So many people have told me that it was a legal move since I had already crossed he stop line on green but yesterday when I was coming back up that road I saw a van sat waiting in the same waiting area to turn right even when it was safe and clear for him to proceed which presumably means his light was on red

He clearly obeyed the light for whatever reason even tho the lights were potentially for the traffic behind who were moving forward

I’m ever so confused and worried :frowning: please help

Sorry if there are typing errors, my iPhones not much cop

Basically in my mind I did a right turn on red and I’m worried sick. But I entered the reservation and passed that stop line in plenty of time whilst the lights were on green

My confusion is- the red traffic light, who was it for? Those behind? And did I have to obey it

Unless there is a camera watching then you should be fine. I’m pretty sure though that you can still turn even on a red if you entered the junction when it was green, you may of had to wait for a clear space though.

Radar19:
Unless there is a camera watching then you should be fine. I’m pretty sure though that you can still turn even on a red if you entered the junction when it was green, you may of had to wait for a clear space though.

That’s the thing tho, I don’t know of there are cameras and I have never been in the situation before
I was always taught to go once passed the line but I have never been in the waiting area facing the red light

Everyone’s said that the red light would’ve been for those people who were behind that stop light but it’s so debatable what authorities will do on instances such as that as they use any errors to their most advantage whether it was a legal move or not

Jeanine29,

It would be useful if you could find the junction on google street view, and post a link here. That way, people could see the situation you describe and could comment with authority.

As i don’t live in the UK maybe it’s none of my business.But if you have recently moved there you could always go into a police station and ask for clarification,you don’t have to say it was you or give your name.

I’ve tried finding street view on google map and I can’t find it anywhere

If anyone can help it’s richmond drive Skegness ( tesco turning ) there’s only one way in ■■

From what I can see, you should be fine. If you entered on a green but it went red you’d just have to sit and wait for the traffic in the opposite direction is either stop or give you enough of a gap to turn. You’re fine, you aren’t going to get a fine!

Jeanine29:

If anyone can help it’s richmond drive Skegness ( tesco turning ) there’s only one way in ■■

google.co.uk/maps/place/Ric … 88942e471b

Do you mean here?

When using google maps, look at the bottom right of the screen and you should see a little yellow (orange) man. Just drop him onto a map to get to street view.

Jeanine29:

This one? google.co.uk/maps/@53.14133 … 312!8i6656

I’d guess that when the lights go red then traffic from the left wanting to go to Tescos will find you blocking their path, get out of the way!

Vid:

Jeanine29:

This one? google.co.uk/maps/@53.14133 … 312!8i6656

I’d guess that when the lights go red then traffic from the left wanting to go to Tescos will find you blocking their path, get out of the way!

No box there or anything. Illegal no, maybe inconveniencing people yes.

That’s the crossing yes but further up near he tesco sign
Traffic can’t come across there tho, it’s totally separated
I have had my son take a photo of exact location cause I’m there now lol how do I post it ?

2i0pveu.jpg

If you are approaching and looking to turn into Tesco’s, as shown here : google.co.uk/maps/@53.14105 … 312!8i6656

Yes you can pull upto the light in front of you, as there is no yellow hatched area. But when the light in front of you turns red, you should sit there and wait and not cross the oncoming carriageway until the light turns green again.

I feel sick now :frowning: so I’ve comitted an offence

Evil8Beezle:
If you are approaching and looking to turn into Tesco’s, as shown here : google.co.uk/maps/@53.14105 … 312!8i6656

Yes you can pull upto the light in front of you, as there is no yellow hatched area. But when the light in front of you turns red, you should sit there and wait and not cross the oncoming carriageway until the light turns green again.

He does not need to wait, there is no stop line at that point. If he crossed the stop line that’s behind him when the light was green he can continue to turn right once the oncoming traffic has cleared. If he waits there for the next green he would be blocking the traffic exiting Tesco’s and turning right.

The traffic light in front of him is for the stop line behind him, not for the right turn box which has no stop line.

Martin:

Evil8Beezle:

He does not need to wait, there is no stop line at that point. If he crossed the stop line that’s behind him when the light was green he can continue to turn right once the oncoming traffic has cleared. If he waits there for the next green he would be blocking the traffic exiting Tesco’s and turning right.

The traffic light in front of him is for the stop line behind him, not for the right turn box which has no stop line.

Yep, you can see the whole junction from my link above, stopping at the 2nd set of lights will prevent traffic from the left between the two sets of lights from crossing the junction to enter Tescos.

Jeanine29:
I feel sick now :frowning: so I’ve comitted an offence

I would suggest you haven’t committed an offence. Entering into that junction, there are no filter signals however the one in front of you does appear to have a filter signal. I would suggest that this is to show that the pedestrian lights are showing red from the opposite direction. As has been already said, if you were to wait in the middle of the junction if that light showed red, then you would have blocked the traffic coming from the left, and the traffic coming out of Tesco wanting to turn right…

I would not worry… :smiley:

Martin:

Evil8Beezle:

I don’t think it’s that straight forward regarding a stop line, or blocking traffic coming out of Tesco’s, as the traffic lights are bound to be phased to empty the area of traffic waiting to turn right. There is also a pedestrian crossing to consider immediately as you turn right, and no lights facing out towards the traffic turning in. It is therefore logical to presume that the lights in question, also control the traffic entering this crossing, so when the red light shows, you should stop.

Since she is there at the moment ,and is obviously worried ,it may be an idea to have a good look at the junction on foot for cameras etc and to see how other react in the situation she was in

Jeanine29:
Hi guys I think I have joined the wrong forum as I don’t drive a tuck but I drive a very large car
Anyway I have been driving 17 months and I think I made a balls up

Basically I crossed over a stop light on green and entered a waiting box area ( not a yellow box ) which had on he floor a right hand arrow
Anyway by the time the cars Infront moved the light which presumably was for those behind me wanting to move forward, had gone to red
I have always moved off and completed the right turns in these instances and did on this occasion but I have never ever seen a red light right above a waiting reservation
I’ve recently moved and waiting for details to be updated
The landlord of the house does not go in the property and it’s still vacant so chances are if a NIP is issued I won’t get it anytime soon
Should I not respond to it I will get 6 points and a revoked licence

If the light’s green or orange when you passed the line, that’s legal. When you’re in the middle of the junction after it’s gone red, you move off as soon as it’s safe. You’re in the clear here.