Please help. Right hand turn on red light UK

Evil8Beezle:

Martin:

Evil8Beezle:
If you are approaching and looking to turn into Tesco’s, as shown here : google.co.uk/maps/@53.14105 … 312!8i6656

Yes you can pull upto the light in front of you, as there is no yellow hatched area. But when the light in front of you turns red, you should sit there and wait and not cross the oncoming carriageway until the light turns green again.

He does not need to wait, there is no stop line at that point. If he crossed the stop line that’s behind him when the light was green he can continue to turn right once the oncoming traffic has cleared. If he waits there for the next green he would be blocking the traffic exiting Tesco’s and turning right.

The traffic light in front of him is for the stop line behind him, not for the right turn box which has no stop line.

I don’t think it’s that straight forward regarding a stop line, or blocking traffic coming out of Tesco’s, as the traffic lights are bound to be phased to empty the area of traffic waiting to turn right. There is also a pedestrian crossing to consider immediately as you turn right, and no lights facing out towards the traffic turning in. It is therefore logical to presume that the lights in question, also control the traffic entering this crossing, so when the red light shows, you should stop.

It really is that simple - the Stop line controlled by that set of lights is a good distance back (there is a silver Zafira about to cross it if you click back a few yards on Street view). No offence is committed if, having passed that line on a green light, you then have to wait for oncoming traffic to clear the junction and the lights change to red before you are able to complete your right turn.

For the person who mentioned pedestrian crossing- there’s one similar in Nottingham like this and if someone crosses when right turners are told to go then the cars just gotta wait til they’re crossed Not controlled by lights or anything it just sits and waits

I’m about to leave tesco now on the car! I have judged situation before and not once has the light been on red when I’ve gone by :frowning:

You’ll be fine. The way the junction is set out means you have to sit there anyway. You did the right then by waiting for a gap. You didn’t do anything illegal.

Radar19:
You’ll be fine. The way the junction is set out means you have to sit there anyway. You did the right then by waiting for a gap. You didn’t do anything illegal.

Agree 100%

Even tho I entered tesco when it was red light?

Jeanine29:

As long as you crossed the line when it was green! Just relax, you’re going to be ok, the police aren’t going to cart you off to Lincoln prison!

Radar19:

Jeanine29:

As long as you crossed the line when it was green! Just relax, you’re going to be ok, the police aren’t going to cart you off to Lincoln prison!

If it meant avoiding 6 points they can cart me off with pleasure lol

Jeanine29:

Radar19:

Jeanine29:

If it meant avoiding 6 points they can cart me off with pleasure lol

If you got 6 points from that I’ll eat my boots!

Simple rule = if you have gone across the solid stop line on green but then are prevented from proceeding immediately, you may then proceed when safe to do so as it is now a give way situation no matter what the lights are showing

That applies to every situation

ROG:
Simple rule = if you have gone across the solid stop line on green but then are prevented from proceeding immediately, you may then proceed when safe to do so as it is now a give way situation no matter what the lights are showing

There you go ,straight from the horses mouth,so chill and have some wine Jeannie :slight_smile:

ROG:

That’s correct.

The law is found in regulation 36(1)(a) of The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 (SI 2002/3113). The part that is relevant here is “the red signal shall convey the prohibition that vehicular traffic shall not proceed beyond the stop line”.

Once you’ve passed the solid white stop line, the traffic lights have no further relevance. The light head that the original poster could see are placed there for the benefit of those still behind the stop line, not those who have already passed it.

As ROG says, it’s a case of giving way to other traffic once you’ve passed the stop line, which is what the original poster says she did. As always, it’s important to remember that your way is not necessarily clear and you do not necessarily have right of way just because you’ve passed a green light or green arrow.

As others have said, once you have passed the stop line the signals don’t apply and you should not stop in the middle because the signal on the far side of the junction has changed to red, it is there for traffic at the stop line.

This junction has a right turn arrow in addition to the green light, it is essentially for information only. If you have green light (a circle) you can proceed, but may have to wait for oncoming traffic if turning right. You can turn right as soon as there is a safe opportunity to do so, you do not have to wait for the green right arrow to come on, it just advises you that oncoming traffic has been signalled to stop.
At some junctions the green right arrow won’t come on unless there are a certain number of vehicles waiting as they expect one or two vehicles to be able to turn right in the period when the signals have changed to red.

The Red traffic light means STOP,
BEHIND the solid white line.
As you have passed the line, crack on.

I have to do that pretty much every day on my way to work, due to a stupid cross junction layout. The lights go green, but Im turning right. The traffic opposite is also green for straight ahead and left, so you have two streams of traffic coming at you. My stop line is a good few yards back, so you have to pull past the line when the lights go green and sit in the middle of the road until either there is a gap, or the lights go red.
More often than not, the lights are red before its safe to move.
Ive been doing this for 15 years, even did it when I learnt to drive.

Relax, don’t worry. Nothing will happen and all is well.

Nothing to add about the crossing, but the Post Office will re-direct your mail for a charge. You can set it up online at - postoffice.co.uk/redirection . The charge is £30 for six months, but I would pay for 12 if it was me. Some people take ages to amend their addresses and there is always going to be someone with an annual charge you forget to tell.

Santa:
Nothing to add about the crossing, but the Post Office will re-direct your mail for a charge. You can set it up online at - postoffice.co.uk/redirection . The charge is £30 for six months, but I would pay for 12 if it was me. Some people take ages to amend their addresses and there is always going to be someone with an annual charge you forget to tell.

Especially at xmas if you want santa to deliver your pesents :smiley: :smiley:

:slight_smile:

Jeanine29:
I’ve tried finding street view on google map and I can’t find it anywhere

If anyone can help it’s richmond drive Skegness ( tesco turning ) there’s only one way in ■■

:slight_smile: you will be ok don that turn loads of times you were sat there when the lights were green its not your fault the lights turned red

Just apply common sense, if you are doing a right turn in a box junction and cross on green and wait in the middle of the junction for the oncoming traffic to stop that means waiting until red, if you then don’t finish the move and turn right you will be sat in the middle of the junction when the cross traffic gets their green light and you will block the entire junction. Pretty sure this should be covered in the highway code so go and find it, you are even allowed to do the same in a yellow box junction, you can enter and wait in a yellow box only if you are turning right, if you didn’t you would never be able to get through the junction because the the light would be red again by the time you could complete the manoeuvre in one go. You won’t trigger red light cameras because you aren’t crossing the stop line after red, you are already inside the junction.