Pleas somebody clarify these weights limits Urgent

This is the scenario can somebody help clarify this

1. driving a single wheelbase Scania 10 ton unladen 18 ton laden I got that bit

2 when drawbar trailer added what is the total weight I can carry fully loaded

3,got stoped today by ministry (this is why I’m asking this question )’

Lorry all ok trailer ok just ticked me off for very close to the weight limit

This is what he explained to me I didn’t quite understand

1 the lorry on its own weighs 10 ton you can carry 8 ton wich equals 18 ton

2 if using the trailer you got to take off the weight of the trailer 4 ton wich means

Lorry 10 ton trailer 4 ton so does that mean you can only carry 4 ton in weight over the

lorry and trailer the vosa guy was more concerned about stopping distances with weight he said the wagon and drag combination I had was more for bulk than weight ie packaging

Can somebody confirm this please many thanks in advance

it depends on what the drawbar is plated at

When you put the trailer on the maximum weight you can carry increases ( the exact amount will depend on the number of axles on the trailer and also dependes on the gross train weight printed on the vehicle plate )

For example my 6 wheel rigid has a maximum weight of 26 tonnes, but if I hitch my 2 axle trailer on it has a maximum weight of 40 tonnes

I’d have thought the combination train weight should have been taken into account. 18t would just be the unit wouldn’t it?

Denis beat me to it :slight_smile:

So you’re saying an 18t wagon with a twin axle trailer plated at 8t per axle would be a 34t gross train weight?

What was that thing about taking 4t off?? :unamused: :unamused:

Look on the plate inside the lorry (it should have one if not ask your boss for it), it will say train weight this is the most the outfit can weigh. So it mite say 32000kgs so your lorry is 10000kgs, trailer 4000kgs, this gives you a payload of 18000kgs, but of course you cant go over your gross weights on the unit and trailer.

I reckon it was along the lines of

18t GVW Rigid + 2 axle drawbar trailer + Train weight 32t

Rigid 10t + Trailer 4t =14t

Take your tare weight 14t from your train weight to calculate payload = 18t

Dunno if that makes sense, it sort of does to me but check the plated weights of the rigid and trailer to be certain. Then weigh them empty

edit, Saaamon sort of saying the same thing but got there first.

Saratoga:
So you’re saying an 18t wagon with a twin axle trailer plated at 8t per axle would be a 34t gross train l:

No, iirc a two axle trailer can be plated at up to 18 tonnes so it could be a GTW of 36t

Thanks to everybody for the quick replys think I got it now just that the guy from vosa didn’t quite explain it clearly or I just couldn’t wait to get from there thanks

Welshmale60:
Lorry all ok trailer ok just ticked me off for very close to the weight limit

how can you get ticked off for being very close to the limit??

and combined with the explanation (if you’ve got it how it was said) on using the trailer, then it sounds like the dude didn’t have a clue what he was on about

That’s what I thought I said it like he told me be he seemed like is dinner was on the table and wanted to go home but he made me think that’s why I thought I’d as on here thanks

Sorry to ask this question, but does towing a drawbar trailer reduce the payload of the towing vehicle ■■

I get the whole gross train weight stuff,
but I was wondering if you had to take into acount nose weight when towing a trailer I.E.
one 18tonner
10t tare gives you a payload of 8 tons, but if the trailer has a nose weight of 1t that would put the towing vehicle to 19t which would put it overweight if you had a full 8 tons on, or would it ?

Ta Owen

As it got anything to do with the excise duty on the vehicle as well

Hippo:
Sorry to ask this question, but does towing a drawbar trailer reduce the payload of the towing vehicle ■■

I get the whole gross train weight stuff,
but I was wondering if you had to take into acount nose weight when towing a trailer I.E.
one 18tonner
10t tare gives you a payload of 8 tons, but if the trailer has a nose weight of 1t that would put the towing vehicle to 19t which would put it overweight if you had a full 8 tons on, or would it ?

Ta Owen

Dont be sorry, not much point in a forum if your cant ask a question.

You have to make sure you dont overload your axle weights so with the example you’ve given there you’d have overloaded the unit but could still be legal on your axle weights.

You have to ensure each axle is not overloaded, the unit and trailer seperately are not overloaded and the combination is not over the gross train weight.

If it’s a caravan/close coupled type drawbar outfit it’s not train weight at all it’s combination weight just like an artic.Train weight is only for A frame type drawbars.If you’ve got a close coupled type and drop the nose weight of the trailer onto a maxed out 18 tonner it’s obvious that you’ll put the 18 tonner over on rear axle weight and gross. :bulb:

All that because the guvnors can’t understand the benefits of the A frame type. :unamused:

Cheers gents

Owen

This is what he must have been on about then combination/close coupled wich in this case it’s close coupled caravan type not a frame

Carryfast:
If it’s a caravan/close coupled type drawbar outfit it’s not train weight at all it’s combination weight just like an artic.Train weight is only for A frame type drawbars.If you’ve got a close coupled type and drop the nose weight of the trailer onto a maxed out 18 tonner it’s obvious that you’ll put the 18 tonner over on rear axle weight and gross. :bulb:

All that because the guvnors can’t understand the benefits of the A frame type. :unamused:

Train weight and combination weight are the same thing.

Welshmale60:
This is what he must have been on about then combination/close coupled wich in this case it’s close coupled caravan type not a frame

The surprising thing is that many guvnors don’t know the difference when they spec a close coupled type drawbar outfit and then think they can load the prime mover to max weight and then drop the nose weight of a caravan/close coupled trailer onto it.Train weight means no weight transferred between trailer and prime mover and that requires an A frame type drawbar trailer.