Planning, how do they do it?

I am just amazed at how these highly trained staff manage to plan our routes. :laughing: :laughing:

Last night I started work at the usual time 1800 so by the time I have done my drivers checks and completed the mountain of company paperwork cross referencing my manifest and order number etc (they are always wrong) I leave the yard to start my run from Normanton West Yorkshire at about 1830.

My planning dept. young lady planned these times for me

1840 arrive at Aldi Darlington :smiley: :smiley:
(she must have forgot that at aldi you load/unload) because her next line was
21.30 Manchester for tip and reload
23.30 at Nelson
01:00 finish at Normanton

What actually happened was
Left yard at 18:35
Arrived at Aldi Darlington 20:30 finished loading at 2200 Break for WTD/drivers hours 30 minutes
Left 22:30 to go to Manchester A1 is closed southbound (I keep telling them :smiley: )
So Barnard Castle, A66 M6 M61 M60 (closed detour)
Another break at Lancaster services 30 minutes at 01:40
Arrived at Manchester for tip and reload at 03:00
Left Manchester at 04:00 and took the load back to depot

I think planning people are a real asset to companies :laughing: :laughing:

Anyone got any amusing planning stories?

alder:
I am just amazed at how these highly trained staff manage to plan our routes. :laughing: :laughing:

Last night I started work at the usual time 1800 so by the time I have done my drivers checks and completed the mountain of company paperwork cross referencing my manifest and order number etc (they are always wrong) I leave the yard to start my run from Normanton West Yorkshire at about 1830.

My planning dept. young lady planned these times for me

1840 arrive at Aldi Darlington :smiley: :smiley:
(she must have forgot that at aldi you load/unload) because her next line was
21.30 Manchester for tip and reload
23.30 at Nelson
01:00 finish at Normanton

What actually happened was
Left yard at 18:35
Arrived at Aldi Darlington 20:30 finished loading at 2200 Break for WTD/drivers hours 30 minutes
Left 22:30 to go to Manchester A1 is closed southbound (I keep telling them :smiley: )
Another break at Lancaster services 30 minutes at 01:40
Arrived at Manchester for tip and reload at 03:00
Left Manchester at 04:00 and took the load back to depot

I think planning people are a real asset to companies :laughing: :laughing:

Anyone got any amusing planning stories?

You only need 15 mins

nick2008:
You only need 15 mins

I knew I was going over 6 hours. Between 6 - 9 hours you need to show a break of 30 minutes. My next break was at 01:40 which I had not planned for since I was expecting to be at the Manchester depot. So I needed a 30 minute for WTD and then at 01:40 I needed another 30 minutes for drivers hours (delays roadworks etc.) as I had 4 hours driving and needed to clear my tacho.

Off topic a bit but 15 minutes would of reset the 6 hour WTD. Then a 30 minute at 1.40 would of been ok for the shift, both WTD and driving. :smiley:

Does it matter? Driver should take whatever breaks whenever & however he/she wants, as long is it’s legal.

The best planner is the driver themselves. Fortunately I am left to plan my own day, with a list of tasks they would like doing. Works for me and works for the haulier. No need for phone calls or anything else. Job done!!!

alder:

Why the hell did you go that way? Don’t you know where you’re going or summat?

Out of Darlington, down the A167 to Northallerton then either A684 back out onto the A1 or A168 to Thirsk and back out onto the A1 that way.

Hell even if you’d gone the A66 Eastbound back to the A19 at Middlesborough then down the A19 onto the A1 it would’ve been quicker than the way you chose to go.

You literally added almost an hours driving you didn’t need to.

LOL, well this has backfired for the op.

Disagree I needed to get to the north west side of Manchester and taking the long A167 down to Thirsk on the wrong side of the country and gambling that the A1 J43 is not closed (it was on 3 occasions last week) to get on the M62 to get all the way across would not have saved me anymore time. So I took the decision to go the M6 but hey ho you post on this forum and you always get know it alls with hindsight who are fixated with gaining fame :unamused: That’s why they still drive a lorry :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Try this.

Barnet for 8am, Wandsworth before 12pm, Croydon paper for before 12pm, Croydon Whitgift before 2pm, London E1 before 4pm and a collection out of SE26 all in the same day, not to mention a 4 hour drive from Immingham first.

Our planners seem to think store tip times are to be followed without question so they came up with this gem.

Willenhall to Swansea first then back to Cardiff then as a laugh obviously Tenby wtf really??.

The lad who did it got to Strensham on 9hrs 53,best thing was it was the same the next week :open_mouth:

darlington, a167 or a66 onto the a19, and away you go

and if jct 43 is close come off sooner and cut through leeds that tiem of night it would be nice and quiet and drop onto the m621

the maoster:

PMSL. SO True.

routes planned by computer systems… yeah right thats gonna work…!

I got sent to Hirwuan, (near Merthyr) 100 odd miles, from somewhere down the M5, over the Bridge £19.20 only to be told that the load wasn’t due to be collected until the following week. Lol. (Came all the way back to MK with a trailer full of Fresh Air)
Same Planner sent me to Bedford today (23rd September) from Leicester, for a Non Existent Load, apparently there’s a load due on the 19th of October, I told them that I didn’t mind waiting, as long as they let me go home at nights, but they wouldn’t let me [emoji26] Miserable Gits.

Pimpdaddy:
Does it matter? Driver should take whatever breaks whenever & however he/she wants, as long is it’s legal.

You can’t just take breaks when you want in other industries, why should you be able to do so as a truck driver?

muckles:

Pimpdaddy:

You can’t just take breaks when you want in other industries, why should you be able to do so as a truck driver?

But that’s other industries, here I can take them when I want and no one can stop me.

Start Dublin Ireland 7.30pm ,1st drop Bradford market,2nd drop Leeds mrkt,3rd drop Sheffield mrkt,4th drop country fresh Sheffield,5th drop Derby mrkt,6th an final drop Costco Lutterworth, all to be done before 10.30 am the following morning. :smiling_imp:

muckles:

Because it’s your tacho, your licence & your arse on the line, besides most breaks aren’t paid for.

Radar19:
But that’s other industries, here I can take them when I want and no one can stop me.

+1