Planners

It’s got to the stage now where I’m falling out with them every week as they try to make me finish late on a Friday. I wont work late on a Friday. That’s what I’m doing and I’ve told them that, but they still continue to try it on. Currently I’m averaging 47hrs 48mins in week 11 of 26. Need to nudge that up a bit. Am I right in saying I can then refuse work that would push the average over 48? I’m getting so tired of this constant war with these snide vile cretins. Might just not bother and turn the truck round mid run and ignore the phone this week. :imp:

What time do you start and what do you class as “late” for a finish?

Who do you work for?

$$$:
It’s got to the stage now where I’m falling out with them every week as they try to make me finish late on a Friday. I wont work late on a Friday. That’s what I’m doing and I’ve told them that, but they still continue to try it on. Currently I’m averaging 47hrs 48mins in week 11 of 26. Need to nudge that up a bit. Am I right in saying I can then refuse work that would push the average over 48? I’m getting so tired of this constant war with these snide vile cretins. Might just not bother and turn the truck round mid run and ignore the phone this week. :imp:

Have seek advice from Dozy? … do you like steak ? … or prefer a lay by and a can of fizzy pop.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but are you for ■■■■■■■ real? I mean seriously, your getting your knickers in a twist because the ‘snide, vile cretins’ won’t allow you to ignore their planning just so you can finish early for the weekend? Awww, diddums!!

Can you get away with it legally? Can you ■■■■■■■■! The whole point of an AVERAGE is that sometimes you will be above it, sometimes you will be below it, 55 and 41 still average 48, and as long as you average below 48 hours at the end of the 26 week period, who cares how many you did on a weekly basis?

Also, look at your contract, I can pretty much guarantee it will say one of two things regarding hours, either ‘average 9.5/10 hours per day’ or more likely, ‘average 48/50 hours per week’. They are sticking to that, trying to balance it out equally through the weeks.

You’re trying to twist your hours to your own benefit, of course they are going to disagree with it, especially if you’re doing it every week! How far are you trying to push it, and how much further could they expect you to try to push it of you get away with it? Is it a case of ‘I worked 10.5 hours Monday to Thursday, so I can only do 6 hours on Friday’. Hell, if you’re going to do that, why not drag it out a bit more, try telling your boss you can’t even come in on Friday because you’ve already done four 12 hour days, see how far you get with that.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hark at the jobsworth robot.
I’m away 4 nights a week. I finish early on Friday. That’s a perfectly reasonable demand.

Suggest you go on days. Either that or 4 on 3 or 4 off.

Start at 0430-0530 on a Monday, out at least 4 nights a week, lucky if I finish before 1800 on a Friday, most of the time it’s a Saturday run in.

$$$:
I’m away 4 nights a week. I finish early on Friday. That’s a perfectly reasonable demand.

Did you tell them when you started you won’t work late on a Friday?

Did they tell you at the start that Friday is a short day?

I suspect that the only solution will be a new job. The ‘planners’ don’t care about your home life/pub quiz team or whatever reason you need that early finish, all they care about is getting the work done. In fact, if you are 'falling out with them, on a regular basis, they might well deliberately give you the late finish jobs.

There is an old saying that “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.”

Santa:
I suspect that the only solution will be a new job. The ‘planners’ don’t care about your home life/pub quiz team or whatever reason you need that early finish, all they care about is getting the work done. In fact, if you are 'falling out with them, on a regular basis, they might well deliberately give you the late finish jobs.

There is an old saying that “you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.”

This, you choose to do the job … what santa says is right, don’t like it get a new job simple.

Darkside:

$$$:

Have you ever driven a lorry?

$$$:

Darkside:

$$$:

Have you ever driven a lorry?

Started driving trucks in 1989, started on artics mainly flatbed work in UK, changed jobs in 1991 to a job that took me over Europe. This was tilt work, but also did a lot of groupage loads in the uk with tauts and flats. We also ran low loader trailers, and trombone trailers on which we did abnormal loads in the UK and into Europe. In 2001 I entered a planning role, but also drive trucks. Why mate?

Are you the only driver who works late on a Friday? Are you the last one back and have to lock up after you? Do you argue with the planners before you set off?

I have sat on both sides of the fence as a driver and a planner before you ask!

You’re in the wrong job mate. You may well be in the right career but you’re working for the wrong company. To balance that statement I will say that the vast majority of companies work in a similar fashion, every planner wants to fit 2 pints into a 1 pint glass. So if you want to break that cycle you really need to find something along the lines of supermarket work tbh.

I would suggest also that you research the WTD as insisting on not exceeding 48 hours per week is not going to win you any friends. As an aside, if you are an employee it’s not your job to monitor your working hours, your employer has the legal obligation to do that and if necessary adjust your workload to fit.

the maoster:
You’re in the wrong job mate. You may well be in the right career but you’re working for the wrong company. To balance that statement I will say that the vast majority of companies work in a similar fashion, every planner wants to fit 2 pints into a 1 pint glass. So if you want to break that cycle you really need to find something along the lines of supermarket work tbh.

I would suggest also that you research the WTD as insisting on not exceeding 48 hours per week is not going to win you any friends. As an aside, if you are an employee it’s not your job to monitor your working hours, your employer has the legal obligation to do that and if necessary adjust your workload to fit.

+1 to all of that!

Well given his replies so far I reckon hes only wanting to be told what he wants to hear.

As ive always said about haulage, if you want a guaranteed finish time youre in the wrong job.

I suggest you get a job in an office somewhere. They usually finish early on a friday for the softer people in society

If you want an early finish on a Friday do what I do
Work Sunday to Thursdays [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People on here, and in haulage in general, are quick to label people who come in, do their jobs and sometimes pick up the slack. Like OP said ‘jobsworth robots’.
However, people like OP are the opposite side of the exact same coin. The attitude of ‘I don’t care who’s day I crap on, as long as I get what I want’.
The so-called jobsworth robots exist, at least in part, to cover the work left behind by selfish, arrogant pricks like this, who ■■■■■ and moan about having to do the job they’re being paid to do. And the normally get away with it!! Again, hence the need for the ‘robots’!
Actually makes me glad to know there are some planners out there who don’t put up with it. Just need one like that in every other transport office in the country!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Spot the bend over boys who will take it with or without vaseline,i can’t believe the amount of eunuchs in this industry.
You’ve got to play them at their own game,i’m sure you’ll find a way and don’t listen to the yes men on here.

I can agree to a certain extent but when i joined this industry everyone did what they had to do to get the job done, but we were on lower hours to start with most times, international was different where we ran as bent as you could…however move forward a few years, when regulations were a lot tougher and things changed, we did still have a 13 hour day, and the ministry gave us a 2 hour window to park somewhere safe…but employers took advantage of that, and still do where the normal day now is 15 hours…rest periods changed too…so now they want a 15 hour day, with a bare minimum 9 off…and that when i started to get angry, and i told them, take your choice cos you can’t have both…and i refused to take 9 off and stated to them what the law says, that it is law to take 11 off…there are ifs and buts as we know…but i refused to reduce…all was fine, till others copied…how come he does it etc etc…glad i`m retired now…but i always expected to finish…when i finished…unless a hospital appt etc, but always fitted it around the boss…there ya go.