Planners and length of a working day ... question

Morning All,
Is there actually anything official in writing, that I could print off and wave in someones face on occasions, that says that a planner should not plan a working shift to the max of 15 hours?
Thanks in advance.

Your kids photos?
:grimacing:

You could take a note from your mum.

haha love it when threads go wrong!

cant see how it would be illegal you can legally work it so why couldn’t they plan it? if its that much of an issue unplanned nights out will soon change it.

They could plan a route that the computer says will take 9:52 driving if they like. Just means more then likely you won’t be home or you will bring a drop back. Doesn’t mean they can’t plan it though.

espresso:
Morning All,
Is there actually anything official in writing, that I could print off and wave in someones face on occasions, that says that a planner should not plan a working shift to the max of 15 hours?
Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately you will not find such a document. We have legislation and guidance to say the company should schedule work to fit in with legal requirements and the rules do allow reduced daily rests and split rests meaning the potential of being on duty 15 hours six days in a row.

Maybe consult your contract of employment and see what you are contracted to?

shep532:
Maybe consult your contract of employment and see what you are contracted to?

I can almost guarantee it will have a “overtime to be worked as required to fulfil the needs of the business” type clause, meaning your actual contracted hours count for jack.

I have yet to see a contract which doesn’t have ‘reasonable request’ in it, seeing as you can legally work 15 hours cant see you winning it.

Was this discussed at interview ? - if not then why not ?

why would they discuss working a 15 hour day at interview?

I have never been anywhere where the TM has said oh by the way if its not too much trouble occasionally I may need you to do a 15 hour day.

espresso:
Morning All,
Is there actually anything official in writing, that I could print off and wave in someones face on occasions, that says that a planner should not plan a working shift to the max of 15 hours? Thanks in advance.

GV262 a driver " MAY ! :grimacing: " reduce three times a week in between weekly rest periods blah blah blah! Just bust 13 hours by a second or sixty :sunglasses: or have 8h 59 mins off three times a week in between weekly rest periods blah blah blah < insert own RDC bull stein here > :unamused: it’s that simple. Nobody should be doing 15 hours a day as its 2015, fatigued drivers, thinking of the children in them killer juggernauts and tailgating motorists in 50 mph roadworks is tiring :grimacing: have a good weekend good buddy, 10 - 4 and all that squelch on the CB. :sunglasses: happy hunting darling, tell your planner he’s a ■■■■ from me, signed RONNY PICKERING FROM HULL! Bare knuckle shufflin champ 2015! Well 'Ard :laughing:

ROG:
Was this discussed at interview ? - if not then why not ?

To be honest, I think it should come with experience that long hours are part and parcel of certain sectors of this industry. If you only want 9/10 hour shifts, you need to be looking at places where it’s trunking/own account/tipper/local work. IE. jobs where theres no pressure on the truck to make profit and/or the jobs always going to be achievable in that time bar a ■■■■ up.

As soon as you get into most general haulage/fridge work etc. where the pressures always on to get a load back on the trailer ASAP, firms are going to try and fully utilise the legal availability of a driver.

Don’t like it, it’s a case of find another job i’m afraid as it’s unlikely to ever change. Certainly not if drivers put up with it anyway.

Thanks for the replies y’all

To be honest, as we are on hourly rates, 15 hour days are no problem, however on occasion the 15 hour day will end somewhere along the lines of loading in a dock warehouse, where you end up going over the 15 hours as they wont let you park up in the docks

Just thought I would ask, as plenty of ‘experts’ on other driver sites reckon planners are only allowed to plan a 13 hour day, and the extra 2 hours is to ensure you can finish comfortably within your 15 … looks like the ‘experts’ aint as knowledgeable as they think they are

Thanks again

espresso:
Morning All,
Thanks in advance.

Employers should not plan journeys so that they put undue pressure on the worker to break the law. They also have a duty of care under HSE. Not only do a company have a duty to ensure their own employees are covered but also that their actions don’t cause contractors to be in breach as well. For a haulage company it means a firm they’re supplying haulage to has as equal responsibility to ensure realistic schedules as the haulier does.

hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg382.pdf

Page 8:

Do you allow enough time to complete journeys safely?
■ Do journey times take account of road types and conditions, and allow for
rest breaks? The Highway Code recommends that drivers should take a
15-minute break every two hours.
■ Would you expect an occasional driver to drive and work for longer than a
professional driver? Professional HGV drivers must comply with the rules for
drivers’ hours. There is more information at gov.uk/drivers-hours/overview.
■ Does company policy put drivers under pressure and encourage them to take
unnecessary risks, eg to exceed safe speeds because of agreed arrival times?
■ Do you allow drivers enough time to safely deliver loads?
■ How do you ensure drivers are not being asked to work an exceptionally long
day? Remember that sometimes they will be starting a journey from home.
■ Have you considered advising drivers who work long or irregular hours of
the dangers of driving home from work when they are excessively tired?
Could they consider an alternative, such as an overnight stay?

Do you consider poor weather conditions, such as snow or high winds, when
planning journeys?
■ Can your journey times and routes be adjusted to take account of poor
weather conditions? Where this is possible, is it done?
■ Are vehicles properly equipped to operate in poor weather conditions, eg
are anti-lock brakes or winter tyres fitted and is windscreen washer fluid the
correct strength for freezing conditions?
■ Do drivers understand what to do to reduce risk, eg do drivers of high-sided
vehicles know they should take extra care if driving in strong winds with a
light load?
■ Do drivers feel pressured to complete journeys where weather conditions
are exceptionally difficult and do they know who to contact if they need to
cancel a journey?

Planning a 15hr day would pretty much guarantee none of the above would be possible to adhere to.

Maximum 15hr days are something that should end up being done due to unforseen circumstances and delays, not because they’re planned as such. It is the only way that an employer can be in compliance with their duty of care to employees under the H&SAW Act.

espresso:

To be honest, as we are on hourly rates, 15 hour days are no problem, however on occasion the 15 hour day will end somewhere along the lines of loading in a dock warehouse, where you end up going over the 15 hours as they wont let you park up in the docks

Thanks again

That throws a whole different ball game up mate.
If your firm is reasonable just explain and say because you end up working illegal you need to be planned to go in sooner, otherwise you aint doing it again.
If they won’t co.operate put it in writing,
The next time it happens tell them you intend to pull out on your 14.5 hrs to enable you to legally park up, and if they do not want you to, to text you the instruction (so you have a record) to do the job that your letter refers to, I’d bet a weeks wages they don’t , and tell you to pull out.
At least you won’t be asked again.

Conor, I doubt very much if just planning a 15 hour day breaks any of those bullet points. As long as when the 15 is up they can park up and night out in the truck, regardless of if the work is complete or not…

As for the OP’s clarified position. +1 on what Robroy said. That’s not on…

espresso:

Just thought I would ask, as plenty of ‘experts’ on other driver sites reckon planners are only allowed to plan a 13 hour day, and the extra 2 hours is to ensure you can finish comfortably within your 15 … looks like the ‘experts’ aint as knowledgeable as they think they are

Thanks again

Surely at some point around about the 13 1/2 hr mark there is a just a hint that you might not make it to a civilised parking place if you are not heading out of the gate in the next 45 minutes. That is the time to find out the situation and make clear that you WILL be heading out of the gate in x minutes time loaded or not. The job description may be tramper, that does not mean that you have to live like a tramp.

cav551:

espresso:

Thanks again

Surely at some point around about the 13 1/2 hr mark there is a just a hint that you might not make it to a civilised parking place if you are not heading out of the gate in the next 45 minutes. That is the time to find out the situation and make clear that you WILL be heading out of the gate in x minutes time loaded or not. The job description may be tramper, that does not mean that you have to live like a tramp.

I agree 100%, if I think I am running out of time to tip and get back to base I will give them a deadline “if this is not tipped by ■■ hour I will come in for my keys and pull off the bay”

I have done this on many occasion and it’s surprising how fast they can tip you if they want :sunglasses:

Hence never have done an unplanned night out :wink:

Agree i wont put up with that crap ,tip it or i get keys and pull off !

comet:
Agree i wont put up with that crap ,tip it or i get keys and pull off !

They would probably want you out of there pretty sharpish if you did that.