Pity

Does this thread mean I’m actually doing the right thing? :open_mouth:
(That can’t be right… :unamused:)

As Dave says, it’s easy to get caught up in the banter and get away from the useful information that, but this generally happens some way into a thread when the question of the thread has been covered/answered… I must admit that I’m pretty bad for messing about, but I partially do it to make the Newbie forum feel friendly and fun. And Ash loves being teased! :wink: As do I :open_mouth:

I think it can be intimidating for a Newbie to feel confident to post as well, as you see some comments on the main forum where someone attacks another, and a Newbie may be fearful of being subject to an attack! :cry: Plus a Newbie doesn’t know any of the characters on the forum, so doesn’t know if the attacker is even worth worrying about. I’ve had it happen to me a couple of times, and while I know I ask for it, I also know I don’t need to worry about those people. Just for the record; I don’t mean people like Contraflow, as he’s just messing with me! :grimacing: But a Newbie may not see that, as they don’t have the whole picture… Some Newbies are also shy, so you can’t expect them to post on what can be an aggressive forum!

I’ve also noticed that there are quite a few regulars on the Newbie forum, but you don’t seem much from them on the main forum (except for me! :blush:) And I can’t beleive that those Newbies are not soaking up the information. And for that reason I’m happy to be the bellend who asks those questions, and why i did a post a few days ago called “General Newbie Questions” General Newbie Questions... [Moved here] - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK As these were things I had questions/thoughts about, and I knew in posting them, I would gather useful info from the helpful experienced truckers, or pro’s as I like to call then! :wink: And that’s something else! I felt I had to post that on the Main forum, as not all of the helpful pro’s will check into the Newbie forum and answer questions. So now the questions have been answered, hopefully the Mods will move the thread over to this forum to ensure all the Newbies see it! :wink: :wink:

Never entered my head that it could be intimidating to post on here. Yes, there’s a lot of banter and I suppose it’s difficult for anyone to work out if it’s for real.

Don’t know the answer. Certainly don’t want the banter to stop but would like everyone to be confident they can post without being ripped apart.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

There is nothing worse than childish humour. Especially sexism.

I am generous and loving to my missus, and treat her like an equal.

Take last week for example, I went out and bought her a new bag…unfortunately though, it was for the wrong Hoover.

eagerbeaver:

Take last week for example, I went out and bought her a new bag…unfortunately though, it was for the wrong Hoover.

Oh yeah, as well as me, there’s this idiot/joker! :laughing:

No joke, I brought my ex a hoover (meile) for Xmas as a bit of a joke present, as she got an ironing board cover as well! :wink:
She was over the bloody moon! :open_mouth:

A weightwatchers subscription and set of scales got me the cold arse treatment till the new year. Sorry Yoni these pair lead me astray…

Doesn’t take much mate. PMSL.

eagerbeaver:

It must be a man thing. We’re always buying the wrong stuff for our misses. But we get it right sometimes :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

eagerbeaver:

Oh yeah, as well as me, there’s this idiot/joker! :laughing:

No joke, I brought my ex a hoover (meile) for Xmas as a bit of a joke present, as she got an ironing board cover as well! :wink:
She was over the bloody moon! :open_mouth:

You really saw that ending well? :laughing:

Yoni:
I’m by no means a clean sheet example of passing my test, but one of the reasons I don’t feel encouraged to post anything on here, including my successes is the sexist and racist comments on this forum. It’s not exactly a welcoming atmosphere for a newbie.

Yoni, I don’t wish to offend, and I feel that this may taken as such.
You have come into an industry that is Male dominated, and that sexism (aimed at women) is always going to be a part of it, I’ve known several Women driver, all of whom have rolled with it, and proved that they are, not only as good as their Male counterparts, but in many cases better. This industry also works on a merit and respect basis, prove that you are as good as the next person, earn your colleagues respect, and that reputation will move around a head off you, just as much as a bad reputation will.

As for the racism, it is My firm belief that racism was disappearing from our work place, but through the inept policies of our political master :unamused: the whole immigration issue has caused racism to rear its ugly head agian.

Being white British 40 something Male, I don’t have personal experience of either of these issues, but I know what I hear and see, and this is what I perceive to be happening.

I’ve been in this industry for nearly 30 years, starting on 7.5 tonners at 18, then onto class 1. Its a great life, and though we can be rough around the edges, a little(or a lot) coarse, we don’t bite really. :wink:

I have to say my experience of the industry is very different( drive a low loader moving farm machinery) all the men I have met have gone out of their way to help me, including when trying to reverse into a space at the services with a wide extra long load on. Please don’t avoid forums or the job for what is only words in the end. No real harm and can work the other way in our favour too, much easier to get something loaded or unloaded if I turn up than some of the other drivers.

lilac lady:
I have to say my experience of the industry is very different( drive a low loader moving farm machinery) all the men I have met have gone out of their way to help me, including when trying to reverse into a space at the services with a wide extra long load on. Please don’t avoid forums or the job for what is only words in the end. No real harm and can work the other way in our favour too, much easier to get something loaded or unloaded if I turn up than some of the other drivers.

+1
In the real word most menfolk will be gentlemanly in the presence of ladies, course once we get to know em the banter starts, but im yet to meat a woman who couldnt give as good as she got and put a man in their place.

As far as racism goes to some degree we are all a bit racist, especially behind closed doors. Ive found the worst racists are those who draw attention to it. But then im a white bloke in me forties whos only insight into true racism is walking down the road with me white daughter, black son in law and me mixed race granddaughter. What I witnessed was disgusting from my fellow poorly evolved white folk. But thats life I suppose…

eddie snax:
You have come into an industry that is Male dominated, and that sexism (aimed at women) is always going to be a part of it, I’ve known several Women driver, all of whom have rolled with it, and proved that they are, not only as good as their Male counterparts, but in many cases better. This industry also works on a merit and respect basis, prove that you are as good as the next person, earn your colleagues respect, and that reputation will move around a head off you, just as much as a bad reputation will.

As for the racism, it is My firm belief that racism was disappearing from our work place, but through the inept policies of our political master :unamused: the whole immigration issue has caused racism to rear its ugly head agian.
:

I agree with Eddie Snax I have to say…

I have always been the woman to enjoy men’s ‘friendly’ company and many things which are liked by men (ie trucks/motorbikes/bad jokes/etc…)

as such in life I’ve mainly been amongst men during work and outside work.

It’s kind of difficult sometimes being a female who likes ‘male dominated’ things…but you get used to it and ‘toughen up’ on the inside.

In this industry I have found that most talk done by men means absolutely nothing, it’s just ‘words’/jokes and I have learnt to genuinely understand it and enjoy it and I also have a laugh with them.

The day I have learnt to see myself as equal (in principal anyway) to other human beings I have learnt not to get offended by such jokes. Rarely, very rarely there will be a less well intentioned man/person who is ‘really’ nasty and they ‘mean it’ and I will know when this happens but again, I have learnt not to let it get under my skin and ‘shrug it off’, I often tell myself they must have their own ‘internal problems’ to be so ‘un-friendly’ and as such it’s THEIR problem not mine :smiley:

like Eddie says: in this industry it works by ‘merit and respect’ and I have experienced it first-hand to be this way.

Overall I LOVE being a lorry-driver and I enjoy my male-colleagues company, anyway…if I don’t like the joke I know I am safely getting back in my cab and drive off shortly after so I don’t have to put up with them all day like folks who are stuck in an office together all day long HAHAHAHA

lilac lady:

Oh I’m sure most men will be friendly and helpful. I have worked mostly in male dominated industries so I am used to rough and tumble and by no means do I expect to be tipped toed around or anything. I just notice often men talking sexist and derogatory of women, and I won’t ever get used to that. Hence why I mentioned it here, as it should be talked about.

Yoni:
[Oh I’m sure most men will be friendly and helpful. I have worked mostly in male dominated industries so I am used to rough and tumble and by no means do I expect to be tipped toed around or anything. I just notice often men talking sexist and derogatory of women, and I won’t ever get used to that. Hence why I mentioned it here, as it should be talked about.

And You have started a positive(I think) debate about the subject, I hope that you have found some off the posts to be informative, as to how this industry works. The fact that you have been in other male dominated work places says a lot about your strength off character, use this to your advantage. The fact that you have chosen to come to this forum, means that you don’t just consider this to be a job, but a Vocation, as described by your vocational driving licence, that already puts ahead of many(not your equals). By and large all those that use Trucknet do so because they have a passion for the industry, I’ve yet to meet a proper driver, who doesn’t wish to pass on their knowledge, and that means to any driver male or female, Proper drivers just see another driver, though some are kinder to the Eye :wink:

nobodysdriving:

eddie snax:

:

I agree with Eddie Snax I have to say…

Thanks. I’m just making an observation on what I here during conversations, Being white male, means that I’m not in the shhhh better change the subject territory, as I would think that those whom racist remarks are aimed at would be. This why I think that this is on the rise a bit. It seemed to me that it was becoming a non issue maybe 7-8 years ago, but is creeping back in :smiling_imp:

As for sexism, obviously I cant comment to how it makes someone personally feel, but generally it appears to be of a more jokey less corrosive nature within this industry. Lets face it, this is one industry where your ■■■ dose not determine your pay.

eddie snax:

Yoni:
[Oh I’m sure most men will be friendly and helpful. I have worked mostly in male dominated industries so I am used to rough and tumble and by no means do I expect to be tipped toed around or anything. I just notice often men talking sexist and derogatory of women, and I won’t ever get used to that. Hence why I mentioned it here, as it should be talked about.

And You have started a positive(I think) debate about the subject, I hope that you have found some off the posts to be informative, as to how this industry works. The fact that you have been in other male dominated work places says a lot about your strength off character, use this to your advantage. The fact that you have chosen to come to this forum, means that you don’t just consider this to be a job, but a Vocation, as described by your vocational driving licence, that already puts ahead of many(not your equals). By and large all those that use Trucknet do so because they have a passion for the industry, I’ve yet to meet a proper driver, who doesn’t wish to pass on their knowledge, and that means to any driver male or female, Proper drivers just see another driver, though some are kinder to the Eye :wink:

Thanks Eddie, you got it spot on. I’ve always wanted to drive trucks, I bought my first age 20, a Commer from 1952 with the engine frozen to bits.[emoji1] I didn’t have a licence, and the only time I’ve ‘driven’ it was towed behind a tractor through the centre of Amsterdam. [emoji12] I had to put my dream in the freezer for a few decades but now here I am 20 yrs later. For me this is a passion, a life style.

Dipper_Dave:
but im yet to meat a woman…

Please tell me that was a Freudian misspelling! [emoji1]

Evil I wake up every morning to your abuse and banter, I wouldn’t have it any other way. Although we do go off topic sometimes but normally the question has been answered on the thread already. I believe the forums should be friendly and approachable, this is why we have a laugh on it. If anyone has anyone questions they need answered we are happy to help/ give advice just pm one of us or comment on the post :slight_smile:.

Also is it bad when I passed my class one, I had one minor and this really ■■■■■■ me off because it would have been sweet to have a clean sheet! lol

Most women I know like a man’s company.

After 6 months of marriage and a quick divorce, they usually get half of it.